Lyndhurst, NJ GOP switching to Democrats
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:06:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Lyndhurst, NJ GOP switching to Democrats
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Lyndhurst, NJ GOP switching to Democrats  (Read 2934 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 22, 2007, 04:13:24 PM »

Yeah, basically all of them.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://politicsnj.com/lyndhurst-gop-nearly-all-them-switching-parties-13078
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 04:16:14 PM »

I'm guessing that they got a pay cut and now have a new opinion about the graduated income tax?
Conan
conan

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 04:40:39 PM »

I'm guessing that they got a pay cut and now have a new opinion about the graduated income tax?
Key word in that article was Ferriero
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 04:56:30 PM »

No idea who he is.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 04:13:50 PM »

No idea who he is.

The Bergen County Democratic Superboss who has the power to say "switch or we'll run you through the meatgrinder next election."  Basically, a bunch of political cowards switched parties to save their jobs out of sheer (perceived) necessity.

This man really can afford to spend a million bucks taking over the town.  This way, he gets to save the million to knock over some other barely-standing GOP organization in Bergen.
Conan
conan

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 06:16:40 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.politicsnj.com/dilascio-says-gop-left-him-13143
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 06:23:21 PM »

sigh
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 06:24:03 PM »

LOL new jersey
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 06:25:19 PM »
« Edited: October 24, 2007, 06:27:25 PM by Verily »

No idea who he is.

He's the reason that a marginal county on the national level is overwhelmingly Democratic on the local level. Mr. Moderate basically went through the facts. Ferriero is currently systematically destroying the Italian-American GOP machines in the southwest of Bergen County. Lyndhurst was one of the major hold-outs.

Personally, I hate Ferriero with a passion, and his one-party county really isn't any different from the two-party county, but it isn't as if the machine Republicans in the southwest were doing any good for anyone either.
Conan
conan

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 06:44:42 PM »

No idea who he is.

He's the reason that a marginal county on the national level is overwhelmingly Democratic on the local level. Mr. Moderate basically went through the facts. Ferriero is currently systematically destroying the Italian-American GOP machines in the southwest of Bergen County. Lyndhurst was one of the major hold-outs.

Personally, I hate Ferriero with a passion, and his one-party county really isn't any different from the two-party county, but it isn't as if the machine Republicans in the southwest were doing any good for anyone either.
It still perplexes me how such crappy towns such as Lyndhurst or Rutherford are nearly as GOP as they are. 
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2007, 08:05:54 PM »

No idea who he is.

It still perplexes me how such crappy towns such as Lyndhurst or Rutherford are nearly as GOP as they are. 

Rutherford is not crappy, we are simply a Upper Bergen County town in Southern Bergen County (ask others I am not just defending my own town).  We have been uber-Republican for about 2 days so I fail to see your point there
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2007, 08:11:27 PM »
« Edited: November 08, 2007, 08:13:34 PM by Verily »

No idea who he is.

Rutherford is not crappy, we are simply a Upper Bergen County town in Southern Bergen County (ask others I am not just defending my own town).  We have been uber-Republican for about 2 days so I fail to see your point there

Upper Bergen County? Have you ever been to places like Hillsdale and Franklin Lakes? Rutherford has nothing in common with them.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 09:02:35 AM »
« Edited: November 09, 2007, 10:50:18 AM by 24 DuPont Chevrolet »

No idea who he is.

Upper Bergen County? Have you ever been to places like Hillsdale and Franklin Lakes? Rutherford has nothing in common with them.
Comparitively Rutherford is much better than any of the towns around it by far.  It is comparable to towns like Oradell and River Edge not Lyndhurst and East Rutherford.  As one of councilmen so eloquently put it, "We don't Rutherford turning into East Rutherford"
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2007, 11:59:10 AM »

I don't think anyone is surprised that this came with a nice county for DiLaschio.  The fact the elections in Lyndhurst are NONPARTISAN, this is the obvious reason.  But as Rob Ortiz put it, "I'm glad we don't have these people mascarading as Republicans anymore."
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2007, 12:14:20 PM »

Good riddance to those low life, back stabbing turncoats.

The Republican Party is better off without such weak kneed milksops anyway.

I am sure they will feel much more at home with the New Jersey Democrats, who embody the very essence of their deserter mentality.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2007, 12:23:14 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2007, 12:25:23 PM by Verily »

No idea who he is.

Comparitively Rutherford is much better than any of the towns around it by far.  It is comparable to towns like Oradell and River Edge not Lyndhurst and East Rutherford.  As one of councilmen so eloquently put it, "We don't Rutherford turning into East Rutherford"

LOL. Municipality nationalism. Look at the demographic maps thread I've recently made; Rutherford is nearly identical to East Rutherford, and the two are the most diverse in the Southwest. In terms of per capita income, Rutherford is within $2,000 of every town in the area.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2007, 04:01:43 PM »

No idea who he is.

LOL. Municipality nationalism. Look at the demographic maps thread I've recently made; Rutherford is nearly identical to East Rutherford, and the two are the most diverse in the Southwest. In terms of per capita income, Rutherford is within $2,000 of every town in the area.
Per capita income is bad to use for Rutherford because we have a few big apartment buildings near the train station and a few on the west end corner of town.  We also have areas that have million dollar plus houses that don't exist in the areas around us.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2007, 05:16:18 PM »
« Edited: November 11, 2007, 11:02:45 AM by you could say what you like but it won't change anything »

So in other words, you consider half of Rutherford to not "really" be Rutherford. Nice.

Reminds me of the bunch of Nazis who run Nieder-Eschbach parish council.

Explanation of the above statement (nazi was just a fanciful insult):
The Bügel estate between Bonames and Nieder-Eschbach proper has
43% of Nieder-Eschbach's inhabitants
36% of its registered voters
27-31% of votes cast at recent elections
22-27% of CDU votes
1 of 10 government (CDU+FDP) members on the parish council
2 of 9 opposition  members on the parish council.
There's a big "Welcome to Nieder-Eschbach" sign between the estate and Nieder-Eschbach proper.
And if the estate wasn't there (as it wasn't until 30 years ago), the council would not be entitled to 19 members but just to 13.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2007, 04:16:08 PM »

Never been to any of these places, but Lyndhurst actually voted for Bush, albeit very narrowly. Basically on par with the national average. Still interesting though.

Rutherford voted for Kerry, by about the margin NJ overall did.

East Rutherford very narrowly voted for Kerry, with under 50% and less than a point. So if East Rutherford is rather ghetto, its voting patterns are quite bizarre indeed.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2007, 04:23:12 PM »

Demographics:

Rutherford:
Races in Rutherford:
    * White Non-Hispanic (75.6%)
    * Hispanic (8.6%)
    * Korean (5.3%)
    * Asian Indian (2.9%)
    * Black (2.7%)
    * Two or more races (2.0%)
    * Other race (1.9%)
    * Chinese (1.4%)
    * Filipino (1.0%)

Median income: $69,800
Median housing value: $406,500

Crime index: 86.8

East Rutherford:

Races in East Rutherford:

* White Non-Hispanic (73.5%)
    * Hispanic (10.6%)
    * Korean (6.0%)
    * Black (3.7%)
    * Other race (3.2%)
    * Two or more races (2.5%)
    * Asian Indian (2.2%)
    * Chinese (0.9%)
    * Filipino (0.9%)

Median income: $54,900
Median housing value: $365,400

Crime index: 206.6

So East Rutherford is slightly less well off, but it's not exactly something you'd fear turning into. Why it's more Republican is interesting though.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2007, 04:27:32 PM »

Demographics:

Rutherford:
Races in Rutherford:
    * White Non-Hispanic (75.6%)
    * Hispanic (8.6%)
    * Korean (5.3%)
    * Asian Indian (2.9%)
    * Black (2.7%)
    * Two or more races (2.0%)
    * Other race (1.9%)
    * Chinese (1.4%)
    * Filipino (1.0%)

Median income: $69,800
Median housing value: $406,500

Crime index: 86.8

East Rutherford:

Races in East Rutherford:

* White Non-Hispanic (73.5%)
    * Hispanic (10.6%)
    * Korean (6.0%)
    * Black (3.7%)
    * Other race (3.2%)
    * Two or more races (2.5%)
    * Asian Indian (2.2%)
    * Chinese (0.9%)
    * Filipino (0.9%)

Median income: $54,900
Median housing value: $365,400

Crime index: 206.6

So East Rutherford is slightly less well off, but it's not exactly something you'd fear turning into. Why it's more Republican is interesting though.

The "We can't turn into East Rutherford" remark was made by one of our bumbling councilman
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2007, 04:33:20 PM »

Whites feeling more threatened, ie the Yonkers Effect?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2007, 04:33:40 PM »

Thinking about it is kind of find of funny that Lyndhurst goes from being super majority Republican to super majority Democrat a few days before there uber-Democrat neighbors vote in a total of 5 Republicans and 0 Democrats, and all the Rutherford ones by 70%
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2007, 04:35:12 PM »

Thinking about it is kind of find of funny that Lyndhurst goes from being super majority Republican to super majority Democrat a few days before there uber-Democrat neighbors vote in a total of 5 Republicans and 0 Democrats, and all the Rutherford ones by 70%
In your part of the country, local politics labels are not perfectly aligned with national ones. It happens. (shrugs)
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2007, 04:37:06 PM »

In your part of the country, local politics labels are not perfectly aligned with national ones. It happens. (shrugs)
It will be interesting to see how bad DiLaschio loses when he runs for re-election.  People keep shying away from the fact this switch came with a cushy county job
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies