Artist defiantly draws Prophet Mohammed
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:40:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Artist defiantly draws Prophet Mohammed
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Artist defiantly draws Prophet Mohammed  (Read 2426 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 23, 2007, 11:32:00 AM »

HOGANAS, Sweden (CNN) -- Swedish artist Lars Vilks says all he's doing is taking a stand in the name of artistic expression. But because of that stand, on this afternoon he's lying low -- on the ground, in fact -- looking for bombs under his car.

Al Qaeda has put a $100,000 price on his head and offered an extra $50,000 for anyone who murders him by slitting his throat after the eccentric artist and sculptor drew a cartoon depicting the Prophet Mohammed as a dog.

"I don't think it should not be a problem to insult a religion, because it should be possible to insult all religions in a democratic way, " says Vilks from his home in rural Sweden.

"If you insult one, then you should insult the other ones."

His crude, sketched caricature shows the head of Prophet Mohammed on the body of a dog. Dogs are considered unclean by conservative Muslims, and any depiction of the prophet is strictly forbidden.

Vilks, who has been a controversial artist for more than three decades in Sweden, says his drawing was a calculated move, and he wanted it to elicit a reaction. Video Watch "I should slaughter you" »

"That's a way of expressing things. If you don't like it, don't look at it. And if you look at it, don't take it too seriously. No harm done, really," he says.

When it's suggested that might prove an arrogant -- if not insulting -- way to engage Muslims, he is unrelenting, even defiant.

"No one actually loves the truth, but someone has to say it," he says.

Vilks, a self-described atheist, points out he's an equal opportunity offender who in the past sketched a depiction of Jesus as a pedophile.

Still one could argue Vilks should have known better because of what happened in Denmark in 2005, when a cartoonist's depictions of the prophet sparked violent protests in the Muslim world and prompted death threats against that cartoonist's life.

Vilks' cartoon, which was published in August by the Swedish newspaper Nerikes Allehanda, hasn't reached that level of global protests, although it has stoked plenty of outrage.

Muslims in Sweden demanded an apology from the newspaper, which has stood by Vilks on his freedom of expression stand. Pakistan and Iran also lodged formal protests with Sweden.

One Swedish Muslim woman who lives just an hour-and-a-half drive from Vilks said she hopes to make good on the al Qaeda threat and slaughter Vilks like a lamb.

"I can do this in the name of Allah, and I will not fail. I could slaughter him in the name of Allah," says the woman who identified herself only as Amatullah.

She adds, "If I get the opportunity."

Dressed in a black burqa from head to toe and uttering death threat after death threat, the woman -- a wife and mother -- says she is defending her religion and her prophet if she manages to kill Vilks.

Amatullah has already been fined for issuing death threats. Still, she claims she will never stop taunting him.

Swedish police, who declined CNN's request for an interview, have advised Vilks to abandon his home.

But the artist still works there by day and travels to a safe house by night. Vilks knows his defiance could get him killed, but he says his art is worth dying for.

As he sits at his computer, his phone buzzes with a text message. Another death threat has just come in, this one from Pakistan.

"I will kill you, you son a bitch," he reads.
advertisement

There are hundreds of threats just like this one on his mobile phone, on his answering machine and in his e-mail inbox.

"You get used to it," he says. "It's a bit of hide and seek. It's like living in a film."

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/europe/10/16/artist.controversy/index.html
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 04:49:53 PM »

How exactly would Al Qaeda actually pay the potential assassin(s)? Do they have some financial office one can contact for the reward money or something?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 06:33:27 PM »

The Onion headline "Artist Starving for a Reason" comes to mind.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 07:21:01 PM »

Congratulations are in order to Lars Vilks for setting back atheist-religious relations a few hundred years through his stellar work.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 08:48:44 PM »

No sympathy here if someone offs him.
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 11:19:59 PM »

Good for him. Anyone who has the guts to criticize the radical muslims is a good guy in my book.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 11:29:16 PM »

Freedom fighter.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 01:18:13 AM »

How exactly would Al Qaeda actually pay the potential assassin(s)? Do they have some financial office one can contact for the reward money or something?

Yeah, I think it's called the general treasury of Saudi Arabia or something.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 03:00:27 AM »

I find it amusing that the religious and right wingers above express the sentiment that this artist 'deserves what he gets'.   This is analogous to the argument that the raped woman deserves what she got for wearing sexually alluring attire.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 06:35:03 AM »

Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 07:12:54 AM »

Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 07:13:17 AM »

Oh, Islam, you crazy religion of extreme tolerance!
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2007, 12:35:49 PM »

^^^^^^

Yes it's tasteless, yes it's provocative but still. There was an episode of South Park where the network wouldn't show a picture of Mohammed standing there looking normal, yet they, rightfully allowed an animation of a defacating Jesus. All is game or nothing is, simple as that.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 12:44:16 PM »

Congratulations are in order to Lars Vilks for setting back atheist-religious relations a few hundred years through his stellar work.

You wouldn't say that about someone who drew a blasphemous drawing of Jesus.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2007, 06:57:50 PM »

Oh, Islam, you crazy religion of extreme tolerance!
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2007, 05:44:19 AM »
« Edited: October 26, 2007, 05:50:02 AM by SoFA Gabu »

You wouldn't say that about someone who drew a blasphemous drawing of Jesus.

What I said took into full account the depiction of Jesus as a child molester as well.  This guy makes a living being an asshole, and that's a fact.

And yes, I know full well that you posted this specifically so you could go "SEE, ISLAM IS TEH SUCK LOL" to people like me.  If your previous attempts at invoking the spotlight fallacy didn't work, I don't know why you think this one will.  Honestly, this is strikingly similar to what CARLHAYDEN enjoyed doing so much.  And I know that you'll assert in response to the above that all these articles show a trend that I ought to pay attention to... just like CARLHAYDEN did.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2007, 04:15:29 PM »

Why should we extend tolerance to a religion in which most of it's practioners hate western civilization and want a do-over of the last few centuries? The sheeplike and trusting western mentality of assuming all people in a group are automatically good because of positive experiences with one or two members of them. I applaud the efforts of the artist.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies