Minimum Wage Revision Bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:32:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Minimum Wage Revision Bill
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Minimum Wage Revision Bill  (Read 5952 times)
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2007, 09:58:23 PM »

You make it sound as if I just signed a law supporting child molesters and slavery. Talk about overreacting.
But honestly, I dont know how you get called a progressive by anyone.

I don't know where you got the idea that he was ever a progressive in the first place.  He was always a libertarian, albeit a moderate one. 

Not being incredibly involved in the 21st Session, I assumed that, by winning the progressive primary, he was likely a progressive. Obviously, I have been proven wrong.

At any rate, I admire Jas for his attempt to push through this piece of legislation.

Well I told you time and time again that I support some progressive measures, and that I'm a social progressive. What I was mostly concerned about was that no credible argument had been made in favour of this increase in the minimum wage beyond "raising the minimum wage will make me feel better" or "I'm economically left-wing so of course I always support minimum wage increases". I'll sign something if you give me a good reason for it. As for this minimum wage personally I thought that the individual territories would be better at raising their own minimum wages and to adjust it to the macroeconomic realities of their individual economies. If the bill stated something akin to all territorial minimum wages must be indexed to inflation I could easily support that.

As for DC I just didn't see why another minimum wage increase was needed. A minimum wage of $7.70 would be one of the highest in Atlasia, higher than any region in Atlasia bar the Northeast, which has a minimum wage of $7.75. In comparison Maryland and Virginia, right over the border with DC, have minimum wages of $6.15 though Mideast Minimum Wage law is rather complex. I did not see any reason for the increase especially since the prior minimum wage was already indexed to inflation. As I have stated I believe that minimum wage increases are unneeded if the wage is already indexed to inflation unless there are other factors which show that the cost of living is rising at a rate higher than that of inflation. I can't believe you are trying to rake me over the coals for vetoing $.75 rise in the minimum wage. I also don't believe I've ever been duplicitous with my intentions or beliefs nor am I against the minimum wage, I did support the institution of the Northeast minimum wage even though I thought it rather high.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2007, 09:59:43 PM »

You make it sound as if I just signed a law supporting child molesters and slavery. Talk about overreacting.

I don't know where you got the idea that he was ever a progressive in the first place.  He was always a libertarian, albeit a moderate one. 

Not being incredibly involved in the 21st Session, I assumed that, by winning the progressive primary, he was likely a progressive. Obviously, I have been proven wrong.

At any rate, I admire Jas for his attempt to push through this piece of legislation.

Well I told you time and time again that I support some progressive measures, and that I'm a social progressive. What I was mostly concerned about was that no credible argument had been made in favour of this increase in the minimum wage beyond "raising the minimum wage will make me feel better" or "I'm economically left-wing so of course I always support minimum wage increases". I'll sign something if you give me a good reason for it. As for this minimum wage personally I thought that the individual territories would be better at raising their own minimum wages and to adjust it to the macroeconomic realities of their individual economies. If the bill stated something akin to all territorial minimum wages must be indexed to inflation I could easily support that.

As for DC I just didn't see why another minimum wage increase was needed. A minimum wage of $7.70 would be one of the highest in Atlasia, higher than any region in Atlasia bar the Northeast, which has a minimum wage of $7.75. In comparison Maryland and Virginia, right over the border with DC, have minimum wages of $6.15 though Mideast Minimum Wage law is rather complex. I did not see any reason for the increase especially since the prior minimum wage was already indexed to inflation. As I have stated I believe that minimum wage increases are unneeded if the wage is already indexed to inflation unless there are other factors which show that the cost of living is rising at a rate higher than that of inflation. I can't believe you are trying to rake me over the coals for vetoing $.75 rise in the minimum wage. I also don't believe I've ever been duplicitous with my intentions or beliefs nor am I against the minimum wage, I did support the institution of the Northeast minimum wage even though I thought it rather high.

*stands up and claps*
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2007, 10:12:16 PM »

Also just for future reference the minimum wages in each of the Atlasian Territories is:

American Samoa: An odd system. Minimum wages set by a special industry committee appointed by the U.S. Department of Labor. Minimum wages are different for every industry. Lowest wage I could find is in the garment industry, where the minimum wage is $3.18.

Guam: $5.85
Northern Mariana Islands: $3.55
Puerto Rico: $3.61-$5.15 depending on industry
US Virgin Islands: $6.15
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2007, 10:15:56 PM »

*stands up and claps*
When you get applause from an economic score like that, you may want to reconsider your decision. The lack of minimum wage in other areas means nothing. I believe the raise is important, and that an even bigger one is necessary for the states around it. To answer your first paragraph, allowing states to raise minimum wage themselves puts many poor families at risk due to some regions'.....ideological stances, allowing them to get in the way of saving the very lives of their own citizens.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2007, 10:21:23 PM »

*stands up and claps*

When you get applause from an economic score like that, you may want to reconsider your decision. The lack of minimum wage in other areas means nothing. I believe the raise is important, and that an even bigger one is necessary for the states around it. To answer your first paragraph, allowing states to raise minimum wage themselves puts many poor families at risk due to some regions'.....ideological stances, allowing them to get in the way of saving the very lives of their own citizens.

I have to admit that DWDL is bad company to have. It's good that I have plenty of good company as well, you know those conservative fascists Verily, Mr. Moderate and afleitch. While I can understand your worries concerning the ideological stances of the governments of the territories I still think it would be better to have the territories control their own policy and for the government to step in if there is a problem where minimum wages are being deliberatly held down at the expense of the workers of those territories. As I said previously I think it would be a good idea for the government to mandate that the territories all have minimum wages that are indexed to inflation to ensure that minimum wages aren't held back to the disadvantage of the working poor of these islands.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2007, 10:56:04 PM »

*stands up and claps*

I have to admit that DWDL is bad company to have. It's good that I have plenty of good company as well, you know those conservative fascists Verily, Mr. Moderate and afleitch. While I can understand your worries concerning the ideological stances of the governments of the territories I still think it would be better to have the territories control their own policy and for the government to step in if there is a problem where minimum wages are being deliberatly held down at the expense of the workers of those territories. As I said previously I think it would be a good idea for the government to mandate that the territories all have minimum wages that are indexed to inflation to ensure that minimum wages aren't held back to the disadvantage of the working poor of these islands.
Now now, Mr. President, no need to put insults in my mouth. I disagree with your choice of approach, but no point in bickering, we must move on and work together, I suppose.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2007, 11:16:32 PM »

Now now, Mr. President, no need to put insults in my mouth. I disagree with your choice of approach, but no point in bickering, we must move on and work together, I suppose.

Not putting them in your mouth just mostly trying to be more lighthearted and obviously failing, as I often do. Well unless you want to impeach me I look forward to working with this Senate on other issues. Considering we've found common ground on probably 99% of the issues put before this chamber in both the 22nd and 21st Senates I don't think that will be hard.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2007, 11:50:48 PM »

I would like to point out that I, and I think Colin as well, would be willing to support a minimum wage increase in the territories that moved much more slowly and which attempted to take into account current minimum wage laws. The broad brush with which the leftist Senators attempted to paint the increase would have only wrecked economic havoc in the territories, most of which are by no means developed or modernized locales.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2007, 01:59:37 AM »

I would like to point out that I, and I think Colin as well, would be willing to support a minimum wage increase in the territories that moved much more slowly and which attempted to take into account current minimum wage laws. The broad brush with which the leftist Senators attempted to paint the increase would have only wrecked economic havoc in the territories, most of which are by no means developed or modernized locales.

As would I.  A modest across-the-board percentage hike would be fine, and if rates in federal territories are not currently being indexed to inflation, there would almost certainly be 7 or 8 votes here to do so.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2007, 12:31:45 PM »

As would I.  A modest across-the-board percentage hike would be fine

I would have to say that I would be much more willing to accept a minimum wage increase along those lines than the proposal laid out here. I would also suggest that we end the practice of having different mimimum wages for different industries in the territories, this is still a feature of minimum wage law in both American Samoa and Puerto Rico though I think that Puerto Rico's minimum wage law is now in tune with the Southeast since it is a part of that region.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

As I said before such a bill would get a quick and easy signature from myself.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2007, 02:13:00 PM »

Not putting them in your mouth just mostly trying to be more lighthearted and obviously failing, as I often do. Well unless you want to impeach me I look forward to working with this Senate on other issues. Considering we've found common ground on probably 99% of the issues put before this chamber in both the 22nd and 21st Senates I don't think that will be hard.
I assure you, sir, that there is no impeachment in sight. You must forgive me, as I get that way at points. Winning a tie vote is always an adrenaline boost and a feeling of relief. To have it shot down at the last moment is a bit of a stinger. I still dont agree with your decision, but Im sure we can work together in the future.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2007, 01:11:46 PM »

I'll continue to vote nay regardless of what unrealistic bill is put forward.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies