Presidential Order of Succession
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:37:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Presidential Order of Succession
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Presidential Order of Succession  (Read 10573 times)
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2004, 03:57:01 PM »

Hey PBrunsel, we were talking about Chester Alan Arthur earlier and I was wondering, why didn't he seek re-election in 1884? I figured you might know.

Not only was he unpopular with the GOP, but he caught Bright's Disease. Bright's Disease eats away at the kidneys, this caused Chester Arthur great pain. He could not have served another 4 years as president because he was too sick to be president.

After retriement he told a reporter, "There is nothing left for former presidents than to go out to the country and grow big pumpkins." He decided to go live in new York City where he died happily, 2 days after his last of his many famous fishing trips.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2004, 03:58:32 PM »

President Truman only lived in the White House for about a year. While he was President the entire house was gutted and reenforced (it was about to collapse).

While he was taking a bath a piece of plaster fell on his head! That is when he knew it was time to rebuild that old White House. Smiley
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2004, 01:20:25 AM »
« Edited: August 04, 2004, 09:43:55 AM by Senator StatesRights »

They say that the W.House was structurally unsound on on the verge of collapse by the time Truman came to office. Didn't Arthur also have mouth cancer and get it treated in secret?
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2004, 02:34:22 PM »

They say that the W.House was structurally unsound on on the verge of collapse by the time Truman came to office. Didn't Arthur also have mouth cancer and get it treated in secret?
That was Grover Cleveland in 1893.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2004, 07:10:11 PM »

Didn't Arthur also have mouth cancer and get it treated in secret?

No that was Grover Cleveland in 1894.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2004, 09:29:40 PM »

Didn't Arthur also have mouth cancer and get it treated in secret?

No that was Grover Cleveland in 1894.
JINX!
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2004, 12:57:21 PM »

Chet Arthur hid his private life from the press. He once said, "I  may be President of the United States, but my personal life is no ones damn business."
ijohn57s

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2004, 10:34:12 PM »

PBrunsel, wasn't there a man (I think his name was Atkins, or something like that) who was President for one day since the outgoing President's term ended on a Sunday? What was his position?
cwelsch

« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2004, 01:19:37 AM »
« Edited: August 06, 2004, 01:56:19 AM by cwelsch »

Jefferson had to use a ladder to reach the second story of the White House, because there was no staircase.

Truman added the balcony to the White House.  At the time it was considered crass, crude and low-brow.  Congress actually held a couple hearings on the subject, I believe, and I saw some clips on the subject.  One woman with a particularly high-bred Northeast accent said "Well, I told him he could take it back to Missouri with him" and accented the second syllable.  It was hilarious.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2004, 01:40:55 PM »

PBrunsel, wasn't there a man (I think his name was Atkins, or something like that) who was President for one day since the outgoing President's term ended on a Sunday? What was his position?

Zachary Taylor would not be inaugurated on a Sunday (being a very religous man he would do nothing but pray on Sunday). President Polk has stepped down as President on March 20, 1849, and so did Vice President Dallas. So the president for one day went to President Pro Tempore of the Senate David R. Atchinson of Missouri. He slept through his entire term in office.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2004, 01:45:02 PM »

So the president for one day went to President Pro Tempore of the Senate David R. Atchinson of Missouri. He slept through his entire term in office.

Shocked Our leaders sleeping on the job?  I guess this was the only time when a Senate Pres. Pro Temp. took over as President or was there another situation were that happened?
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2004, 01:47:13 PM »

So the president for one day went to President Pro Tempore of the Senate David R. Atchinson of Missouri. He slept through his entire term in office.

Shocked Our leaders sleeping on the job?  I guess this was the only time when a Senate Pres. Pro Temp. took over as President or was there another situation were that happened?

THis is the only time, and we don't really count him as a President because he never took the oath of office. he was just acting president for the day of March 20, 1849.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2004, 01:50:35 PM »

THis is the only time, and we don't really count him as a President because he never took the oath of office. he was just acting president for the day of March 20, 1849.

I know that George HW Bush was acting President at one time. Cheney was too.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2004, 01:55:02 PM »

Ronald Reagan was the first president o make his Vice President the "Acting President." Bush was acting president while the Gipper was in surgery.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2004, 02:17:41 PM »

Ronald Reagan was the first president o make his Vice President the "Acting President." Bush was acting president while the Gipper was in surgery.

Yeah that was what I was referring to.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2004, 02:59:47 PM »

I think that it should go to the cabinet after the VP, so it remains in the elected party.

In a situtation like that, I don't think we should be worrying about the party in power. That is a terrible situation which we all hope never happens.

Not necessarily terrible.  What if for some reason the Pres. and VP were both forced to resign simultaneously?  Or were both removed through impeachment?  That would be kinda cool.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies