Should Australia become a Republic
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:15:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Should Australia become a Republic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Should Australia become a Republic  (Read 8031 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2004, 05:24:40 AM »

And the Viet Nam War.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2004, 04:50:38 AM »

We did much better after independence, but I agree, it was pretty cruddy. And it sutill isn't perfect, but it is improving.

Boat people. Well, it was legal. Immoral, but not a human rights abuse. Woomera is getting close, and it has been called by some organisations as close to violating human rights, but it isn't there yet. Either way, it ought to be closed, but it isn't a violation of human rights.
Volrath50
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: -5.57

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2004, 12:03:07 PM »

No, they shouldn't. Nor should Canada. If there is ever any referedum on the Monarchy, I will _strongly_ support the Monarchist side.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2004, 12:39:29 PM »

We did much better after independence

Some of the worst abuses in Western Australia (including those nasty experiments with eugenics) happend after Independence... it's true most of the other states were now where near as bad though.
It's worth adding that the abuses in the C19th were mostly done by state governments and hicks. Same in the C20th actually... I think that Victoria's record is quite good.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Couldn't get a lot worse... although attitudes towards Aboringals in the larger cities is vastly improved, this isn't the case in rural areas (bull bars on offroad stuff still get called "Boing Bars" by a lot of rednecks) and something should get done about them ghetto's.

It may be legal, but it's still a stain on your country's usually good reputation in other countries... the idea that someone facing a tough re-election fight would play the race card in quite that way shocked a lot of people over here (but not me. I hated Howard before and I still hate him. As Nye Bevan once said about the Tories, he's lower than vermin).

Re: Invercargill, I kinda like the place...
Beaver
Rookie

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2004, 03:08:22 PM »

I support the monarchy and think Australia should keep it. Of course it's up to the people to decide.
Beaver
Rookie

« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2004, 03:12:58 PM »
« Edited: August 20, 2004, 07:01:35 PM by Beaver »

No, they shouldn't. Nor should Canada. If there is ever any referedum on the Monarchy, I will _strongly_ support the Monarchist side.

Welcome volrath! Nice to see another Canadian here.Which part of the province? What are your political beliefs?
Mark

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2004, 03:18:48 PM »

I would support Canada becoming a republic primarily because I don't think our current system is reflective of Canada's present cultural identity. This is a nation of multiculturalism, and a bilingual french/english heritage.

I believe there will undoubtedly be a continuous drop in the number of those loyal to the present political structure in this country, especially as we become more and more diverse as a nation. Also, Canada has lways been seeking an international identity, as opposed to just shadowing the US, and I believe one of the best ways in achieving such recognition is to create a political structure that represents the mood of Canada, and embraces our many diverse perspectives.
Beaver
Rookie

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2004, 07:01:14 PM »
« Edited: August 20, 2004, 07:02:00 PM by Beaver »

I would support Canada becoming a republic primarily because I don't think our current system is reflective of Canada's present cultural identity. This is a nation of multiculturalism, and a bilingual french/english heritage.

I believe there will undoubtedly be a continuous drop in the number of those loyal to the present political structure in this country, especially as we become more and more diverse as a nation. Also, Canada has lways been seeking an international identity, as opposed to just shadowing the US, and I believe one of the best ways in achieving such recognition is to create a political structure that represents the mood of Canada, and embraces our many diverse perspectives.

Another Canadian! Also from Ontario! Alliance or PC? Which part of the province are you in?
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2004, 09:15:05 PM »

We did much better after independence

Some of the worst abuses in Western Australia (including those nasty experiments with eugenics) happend after Independence... it's true most of the other states were now where near as bad though.
It's worth adding that the abuses in the C19th were mostly done by state governments and hicks. Same in the C20th actually... I think that Victoria's record is quite good.

I have never experienced any racism against aborigines in Victoria, and only once against anywayone, when someone who I believe was drunk got on the bus just as Myriam, an Islamic somali girl, and I were getting off the bus, and satrted yelling at her. Whilst thats' disgraceful, it is the only time i've experienced racism in my city that was agressive and blatant.

Couldn't get a lot worse... although attitudes towards Aboringals in the larger cities is vastly improved, this isn't the case in rural areas (bull bars on offroad stuff still get called "Boing Bars" by a lot of rednecks) and something should get done about them ghetto's.[/quote]

you mean "Boong" bars. Boong is the derogratory term for aboriginals. Yes, we do have some pretty rcist ers in the outback. But, again, going from personal experience, that doesn
't happen here. Sure, I don't go into the country much, but I personally believe that at least on the east coast, that problem just doesnt exist. When was the last time you came to Australia? The situation is cruddy. No argument. But it isn't as bad as everyone thinks.

It may be legal, but it's still a stain on your country's usually good reputation in other countries... the idea that someone facing a tough re-election fight would play the race card in quite that way shocked a lot of people over here (but not me. I hated Howard before and I still hate him. As Nye Bevan once said about the Tories, he's lower than vermin).
[/quote]

I agree, as do my parents, who both voted for the minor parties. In reality, it probably only won Howard a fractiion of a percent of votes, but it did make him hated by the left; so it wasn't a very wise move. The real reasosn he came back from being so far down in the polls were September-11 and National Security and the "Children Overboard" lies. The tampa was the third of the "triangle of misery" for Beazley. It might have been the one that pushed him out in the end, but it wasn't trhe only cause.

Invercargill, I kinda like the place...

You ever been there? Wink In winter? Wink
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2004, 06:37:57 AM »

I have never experienced any racism against aborigines in Victoria, and only once against anywayone, when someone who I believe was drunk got on the bus just as Myriam, an Islamic somali girl, and I were getting off the bus, and satrted yelling at her. Whilst thats' disgraceful, it is the only time i've experienced racism in my city that was agressive and blatant.

Yeah... Victoria's always struck me as a fairly liberal place. Especially Melbourne.

I'll agree that most of the East Coast isn't bad... and I certainly didn't intend to make it seem that way.
But the outback does still have a serious problem with racism... not sure what can be done about it though... Sad

True, but that's not the way the rest of the world sees things... if Latham wins he's got a lot of rebuilding to do so to speak.

I like the cold Smiley
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2004, 07:15:29 AM »

well, yeah, VIC is pretty liberal, and to bring it back on topic, our state was the closest in accepting the republic referendum; it recieved 49. something% of the votes, only just failing here. In the city of Port phillip, where I live, I wouldn't be surprised if it topped 80%, but I don't know the figures.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2004, 09:17:05 PM »

ANy BRit will tell you that Australia doesn't participate in a class system anywhere near comparable to the UK, and most would agree we have less of a class system then the US, too. We really do have a good system; there aren't many political dynasties, maybe the Beazleys or CReans, but thats about it
English

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2004, 04:15:07 AM »

Mark, I always understood Canada was very pro-monarchy? In fact I fail to see how breaking ties with Britain (and Europe) would enhance the national identity of Canada!! Surely it would do the opposite? Canadians already complain about being viewed by the world as some sort of America-lite. The monarchy and ties with Europe are one of the few things that differentiates Canada from the US.
English

« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2004, 04:21:43 AM »

Then why does Oz keep the vestiges of a degenerate monarchy?  I know they don't do anything but why not get rid of formalities.  Australia should make a statement that they have thrown off the colonial past.  I think most politicians are pieces of sh#t but at least I am not expected to bow or curtsy to them.  A new flag wouldn't be a bad idea either. LOL.  What relevance does Sts. Georgie, Pat and Andrew have in Oz.

I'm no great fan of the monarchy, in fact for a long time I thought Britain should be a republic. However as I've gotten older I've come to realise that politicians are generally a rotten, corrupt bunch, whatever their colours. Therefore do I want to replace the Queen (who is generally pretty benign), with another politician? NO!!! Never in a million years!!! I'll stick with the degenerate monarchy thanks very much. A least they provide plenty of entertainment with their endless gaffs and tawdry sex-lives.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2004, 04:34:47 AM »
« Edited: August 26, 2004, 04:36:54 AM by Gabu »

Mark, I always understood Canada was very pro-monarchy? In fact I fail to see how breaking ties with Britain (and Europe) would enhance the national identity of Canada!! Surely it would do the opposite? Canadians already complain about being viewed by the world as some sort of America-lite. The monarchy and ties with Europe are one of the few things that differentiates Canada from the US.

Not that I know of.  From what I know, there are quite a few people who would prefer we become a truly independent nation and sever ties to the English monarch.  I'm sure there's also quite a few people who want to keep the current system, though.  As for me, I don't really care either way.  Either would probably work to some extent.  Certainly our current system isn't horrible.

Regarding the part about Canada being viewed as America Lite, I'm not sure who the people are who view us as such or who the Canadians are who think we're viewed as such.  Numerous people I know from America have expressed jealousy towards me for where I live.  Of course, others have jeered me for it.  It doesn't really bother us as much as some seem to think, however.  At any rate, I don't really think we have some sort of identity crisis; I have a large Canadian flag hanging from my wall and am proud of my country.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2004, 05:47:09 AM »

A powerless monarch is really a very very good system. It would be worse to have an australian monarch then a british monarch, because it would turn us into another Britian, full of class struture and formality. If we are going to have a monarch, then the Queens' the one. I quite like her; she knows HEAPS about the countries she rules, including Australia (even if here hubbie doesnt) and she is a very very good diplomatic figurehead.

I'm not sure what i'll think of King Charlie though :S
English

« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2004, 07:40:05 AM »

Britain would still be class ridden with or without the monarchy. It's one of the things I really hate about my country. People here are OBSESSED with it. Where you live, your occupation, your parents occupation, how much money you earn, how expensive your house was, which university you went to, your accent etc. often determines whether someone is worthy of speaking to or not. It's crap, complete, total and absolute nonsense and I hate it with a vengence. It's so refreshing to visit foreign countries were a businessmen will quite happily have a conversation with a beggar or a bus driver. That never happens here. I've even encountered hostility from some old cretin for daring to live in a poor neighbourhood. He then refused to speak to me on the basis of were I lived. I could've punched the guy! Fortunately attitudes are changing and will continue to do so the more 'old ways' are diluted by immigration etc.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2004, 07:49:18 AM »

Politics in the U.K is and remains one of the most class-driven in the world...
And things look to be getting worse...
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies