Do you support the Death Penalty (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:13:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do you support the Death Penalty (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Yes or No?
Yes (D)

No (D)

Yes (R)

No (R)

Yes (I)

No (I)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 120

Author Topic: Do you support the Death Penalty  (Read 16722 times)
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« on: October 27, 2007, 07:56:48 PM »

No, I oppose it in all cases (D).
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 07:41:37 PM »

I am very much opposed to the Death Penalty on the grounds that not only is it extremely unethical and unreliable on the grounds that there is always a risk of getting the wrong person but it's not even an effective punishment in the long run.

Even putting aside DNA and the massive improvements we've seen in forensics, how much more effective do you get than not having someone around? No chance of re-offending there!

The thing about execution, once the guy's dead it's not exactly possible to resurrect him, is it?  Furthermore, there is always going to be the risk of getting the wrong person, which on those grounds alone helps to make Capital Punishment an unacceptable method.

Yes but are you going to give him back all the years he wasted in prison? And what about all the people that wind up being murdered, horrendously beaten or otherwise dying there? Plus with new technologies the rate of error is again, nominal. We're not talking about fingerprints or things like that which are falling by the wayside (justifiably so).

But many, many, many of the convictions already on the books are without DNA evidence (which I agree is very good) and many of the cases being tried now are without them.  Requiring DNA evidence is probably even more impractical; the backlog is already immense, but would become astronomical if every case being considered for the death penalty were added.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 08:12:16 PM »

No offense but, luckily people of less than 18 don't vote in reality!

Just because such a comment on such an issue from someone who have a small experience of life is a bit...displaced.

I've been opposed to the death penalty since I've joined the forum, when I was 13.  So saying he can't comment means I couldn't've commented until last August Tongue
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies