Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 21, 2017, 05:31:21 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Be sure to enable your "Ultimate Profile" for even more goodies on your profile page!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Election Archive
| |-+  2008 Elections
| | |-+  2008, Two Homophobes Vs Two Gays
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 2008, Two Homophobes Vs Two Gays  (Read 1082 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
YaBB God

View Profile
« on: October 31, 2007, 11:11:52 pm »
Ignore

In 2008, incredibly, the Republicans nominate two very conservative, some say anti-gay, candidates.  Equally incredibly, the Democrats nominate two gay candidates.

The Republicans want to press the family values issues in the campaign, and the Democrats want to show they are the party of equality and tolerance.

Republican Ticket
For President, Senator Saxby Chambliss of Georgia
For Vice President, Senator Tom Coburn of Oklahoma

Democratic Ticket
For President, Congressman Barney Frank of Massachusetts
For Vice President, Former Governor Jim Mcgreevy of New Jersey

These are the only candidates.  There are no independents or third party candidates running.

How does this election turn out?

Please discuss.

Maps?

THREE GENERATIONS OF GREAT BLACK REPUBLICAN 
LEADERS BOLDLY FIGHTING FOR AMERICA
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 11:17:10 pm »
Ignore

Pubs in a walk.  No way states like Michigan, Ohio and Florida would vote for 2 gay candidates.

“To oppose something is to maintain it.
They say here "all roads lead to Mishnory." To be sure, if you turn your back on Mishnory and walk away from it, you are still on the Mishnory road. To oppose vulgarity is inevitably to be vulgar. You must go somewhere else; you must have another goal; then you walk in a different road.”
― Ursula K. Le Guin, The Left Hand of Darkness
Verily
Cuivienen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 11:20:42 pm »
Ignore

Pubs in a walk.  No way states like Michigan, Ohio and Florida would vote for 2 gay candidates.

^

Neither Frank nor McGreevey has much in the way of a serious record to run on, either. Chambliss and Coburn are scumbags, too, but in a different way, and would defeat Frank/McGreevey without the issue of homosexuality.
Eraserhead
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 12:53:21 am »
Ignore

gporter/gporter

Update lives again on Atlas After Dark. PM me for info.
Ebowed
YaBB God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 01:49:38 am »
Ignore

In 2008, incredibly, the Republicans nominate two very conservative, some say anti-gay, candidates.  Equally incredibly, the Democrats nominate two gay candidates.

Equally incredibly?  The former is likely to happen, whereas the latter simply won't.

Donald Trump wants America to be his personal safe space.

Listen to Atlas Free Radio and follow us!  Thank you for your support!
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 07:56:02 am »
Ignore

Considering Rep. Frank let his lover operate a prostitution ring out of his Capitol Hill apartment, and Gov. McGreevey appointed his lover a homeland security adviser, I would think their homosexuality would be among the least of their electoral woes.  Did you choose crooks on purpose?

HappyWarrior
hannibal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 11:36:50 am »
Ignore

"Destiny is not a matter of chance; it is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."
-William Jennings Bryan
opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 11:41:28 am »
Ignore

The Republicans always nominate two homophobes, Winny.  Their constituency demands it.

The essence of democracy at its purest is a lynch mob

Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 12:08:10 pm »
Ignore

Even I've got to side with the "homophobes" here.

Mr Moderate at 54/10 is a total joke, he is a horror.

I think it is very possible that Vladimir Putin could be the Antichrist.  That is nothing more than an educated guess on my part.
opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 12:21:31 pm »
Ignore

Why?  Barney Frank is a standard centrist, or center left by american standards, as is McGreevey whatever his personal difficulties.  The two Republicans mentioned are not only less capable and intelligent by many degrees, they are intolerant ideological extremists.   Basically you have on one side two boring, moderate, compromise-seeking technocrats (legislator and executive respectively), and on the other two simpletons whose entire political career is based on trumpeting hatred of people like you and I, while being told how to vote by others in the GOP who are actually capable of understanding legislation.

But I forgot, your claim of moderation has long ago been discredited, Mr.Republican.

the 2018- The People v. The Pepe
Angry_Weasel
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 12:59:42 pm »
Ignore

What will their legistlative goal be? The "God Hates Fags Act of 2009"?

defe07
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2007, 01:16:07 pm »
Ignore

You must've had something strong. WA, NJ, NH, FL, VT and some other states would vote for a gay ticket anytime (in the case of FL, they've usually been pro-gay and I can prove it because I lived there).

A proud Floridian moderate libertarian that believes in small government.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2007, 01:59:11 pm »
Ignore

What will their legistlative goal be? The "God Hates Fags Act of 2009"?
And nominating fred phelps for supreme court.
Gustaf
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2007, 02:12:36 pm »
Ignore

You must've had something strong. WA, NJ, NH, FL, VT and some other states would vote for a gay ticket anytime (in the case of FL, they've usually been pro-gay and I can prove it because I lived there).

That's arguing on a BRTD level. But, ok, prove it.

This place really has become a cesspool of degenerate whores...

Economic score: +0.9
Social score: -2.61

In MN for fantasy stuff, member of the most recently dissolved centrist party.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2007, 02:15:36 pm »
Ignore

Why?  Barney Frank is a standard centrist, or center left by american standards, as is McGreevey whatever his personal difficulties.  The two Republicans mentioned are not only less capable and intelligent by many degrees, they are intolerant ideological extremists.   Basically you have on one side two boring, moderate, compromise-seeking technocrats (legislator and executive respectively), and on the other two simpletons whose entire political career is based on trumpeting hatred of people like you and I, while being told how to vote by others in the GOP who are actually capable of understanding legislation.

But I forgot, your claim of moderation has long ago been discredited, Mr.Republican.

The main issue here is Jim McGreevey, and his actions as Governor of New Jersey.  He has proven himself to be an incompetent executive, and it is no exaggeration to say that he literally put lives in danger when he appointed his unqualified gay lover to head up Homeland Security for the state—one who couldn't even pass a basic security clearance.

Barney Franks' past indiscretions are largely forgivable as far as I'm concerned, but there's no way he can be seriously classified as a "moderate."

Mr Moderate at 54/10 is a total joke, he is a horror.

I think it is very possible that Vladimir Putin could be the Antichrist.  That is nothing more than an educated guess on my part.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2007, 02:19:12 pm »
Ignore

I couldn't agree with Mr. Moderate more.

Personally, I wouldn't want to vote for either. But if I had to, I'd vote Republican. McGreevey appointed a poet to be head of New Jersey Homeland Security? Hmmm, that always sounds good. 

My parents are pretty good about smelling a rat. 
Let me put this as clear as I can (saying this to myself, as well, so I can see it): I WILL get a job with CADD and I WILL keep the job.
opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2007, 02:28:00 pm »
Ignore

The main issue here is Jim McGreevey, and his actions as Governor of New Jersey.  He has proven himself to be an incompetent executive, and it is no exaggeration to say that he literally put lives in danger when he appointed his unqualified gay lover to head up Homeland Security for the state—one who couldn't even pass a basic security clearance.

Oh please, the Department of Homeland Security is a joke!  A mere propaganda show.  I think McGreevey showed the proper attitude towards it.  And he was certainly far more competent than Chambliss or Coburn, by definition.

Barney Franks' past indiscretions are largely forgivable as far as I'm concerned, but there's no way he can be seriously classified as a "moderate."

Really?  He's never proposed changing the status quo in any significant way.

HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2007, 03:21:13 pm »
Ignore

What does FL stand for, since it obviously isn't Florida?

CavanaughPark

Political Matrix
E: 6.06, S: 0.35

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2007, 03:45:21 pm »
Ignore

Oh please, the Department of Homeland Security is a joke!  A mere propaganda show.  I think McGreevey showed the proper attitude towards it.  And he was certainly far more competent than Chambliss or Coburn, by definition.

1. We're not talking about the Department of Homeland Security. Governors don't appoint officials to federal agencies.
2. Cipel was horribly unqualified for the post McGreevey initially appointed him to, as the Homeland Security adviser to the Governor of New Jersey. Advising the Governor on security measures, national guard deployment, etc, etc. is not a propaganda show.
3. Golan Cipel is more qualified than two US Senators for what exactly? Besides, qualifications of Senators is determined by voters. Homeland Security advisers are appointed by supposedly competent executives.

Really?  He's never proposed changing the status quo in any significant way.
[/quote]

Good grief. I mostly follow economic issues in Congress and Frank is always devising ways to tear apart the Federal Reserve piece by piece.

Frank is usually acknowledged as a figure in the liberal wing of the Democratic Party. It's like conventional wisdom by now.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2007, 08:07:21 pm »
Ignore

Considering Rep. Frank let his lover operate a prostitution ring out of his Capitol Hill apartment, and Gov. McGreevey appointed his lover a homeland security adviser, I would think their homosexuality would be among the least of their electoral woes.  Did you choose crooks on purpose?

No.  Franks and McGreevy are simply two known gay Democrats.  If there are other gay Democrats better suited for a national ticket, and there must be, they could easily replace Franks and McGreevy.  I would actually like two respected, capable, gay Democrats in this scenario running against two Republicans who may be homophobes, to see what forum members think would happen in such a match up.  I believe that just because someone is gay does not necessarily mean they cannot be a capable leader.   

THREE GENERATIONS OF GREAT BLACK REPUBLICAN 
LEADERS BOLDLY FIGHTING FOR AMERICA
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2007, 09:04:53 pm »
Ignore

Frank = Massachusetts Democrat
Franks = New Jersey Republican

Chuck Hagel versus Ed Koch would be interesting.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout