2008, Two Homophobes Vs Two Gays
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:53:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008, Two Homophobes Vs Two Gays
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2008, Two Homophobes Vs Two Gays  (Read 1355 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 31, 2007, 11:11:52 PM »

In 2008, incredibly, the Republicans nominate two very conservative, some say anti-gay, candidates.  Equally incredibly, the Democrats nominate two gay candidates.

The Republicans want to press the family values issues in the campaign, and the Democrats want to show they are the party of equality and tolerance.

Republican Ticket
For President, Senator Saxby Chambliss of Georgia
For Vice President, Senator Tom Coburn of Oklahoma

Democratic Ticket
For President, Congressman Barney Frank of Massachusetts
For Vice President, Former Governor Jim Mcgreevy of New Jersey

These are the only candidates.  There are no independents or third party candidates running.

How does this election turn out?

Please discuss.

Maps?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 11:17:10 PM »

Pubs in a walk.  No way states like Michigan, Ohio and Florida would vote for 2 gay candidates.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 11:20:42 PM »

Pubs in a walk.  No way states like Michigan, Ohio and Florida would vote for 2 gay candidates.

^

Neither Frank nor McGreevey has much in the way of a serious record to run on, either. Chambliss and Coburn are scumbags, too, but in a different way, and would defeat Frank/McGreevey without the issue of homosexuality.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 12:53:21 AM »

gporter/gporter
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 01:49:38 AM »

In 2008, incredibly, the Republicans nominate two very conservative, some say anti-gay, candidates.  Equally incredibly, the Democrats nominate two gay candidates.

Equally incredibly?  The former is likely to happen, whereas the latter simply won't.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 07:56:02 AM »

Considering Rep. Frank let his lover operate a prostitution ring out of his Capitol Hill apartment, and Gov. McGreevey appointed his lover a homeland security adviser, I would think their homosexuality would be among the least of their electoral woes.  Did you choose crooks on purpose?
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 11:36:50 AM »

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 11:41:28 AM »

The Republicans always nominate two homophobes, Winny.  Their constituency demands it.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 12:08:10 PM »

Even I've got to side with the "homophobes" here.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 12:21:31 PM »

Why?  Barney Frank is a standard centrist, or center left by american standards, as is McGreevey whatever his personal difficulties.  The two Republicans mentioned are not only less capable and intelligent by many degrees, they are intolerant ideological extremists.   Basically you have on one side two boring, moderate, compromise-seeking technocrats (legislator and executive respectively), and on the other two simpletons whose entire political career is based on trumpeting hatred of people like you and I, while being told how to vote by others in the GOP who are actually capable of understanding legislation.

But I forgot, your claim of moderation has long ago been discredited, Mr.Republican.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 12:59:42 PM »

What will their legistlative goal be? The "God Hates Fags Act of 2009"?
defe07

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2007, 01:16:07 PM »

You must've had something strong. WA, NJ, NH, FL, VT and some other states would vote for a gay ticket anytime (in the case of FL, they've usually been pro-gay and I can prove it because I lived there).
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2007, 01:59:11 PM »

What will their legistlative goal be? The "God Hates Fags Act of 2009"?
And nominating fred phelps for supreme court.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2007, 02:12:36 PM »

You must've had something strong. WA, NJ, NH, FL, VT and some other states would vote for a gay ticket anytime (in the case of FL, they've usually been pro-gay and I can prove it because I lived there).

That's arguing on a BRTD level. But, ok, prove it.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2007, 02:15:36 PM »

Why?  Barney Frank is a standard centrist, or center left by american standards, as is McGreevey whatever his personal difficulties.  The two Republicans mentioned are not only less capable and intelligent by many degrees, they are intolerant ideological extremists.   Basically you have on one side two boring, moderate, compromise-seeking technocrats (legislator and executive respectively), and on the other two simpletons whose entire political career is based on trumpeting hatred of people like you and I, while being told how to vote by others in the GOP who are actually capable of understanding legislation.

But I forgot, your claim of moderation has long ago been discredited, Mr.Republican.

The main issue here is Jim McGreevey, and his actions as Governor of New Jersey.  He has proven himself to be an incompetent executive, and it is no exaggeration to say that he literally put lives in danger when he appointed his unqualified gay lover to head up Homeland Security for the state—one who couldn't even pass a basic security clearance.

Barney Franks' past indiscretions are largely forgivable as far as I'm concerned, but there's no way he can be seriously classified as a "moderate."
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2007, 02:19:12 PM »

I couldn't agree with Mr. Moderate more.

Personally, I wouldn't want to vote for either. But if I had to, I'd vote Republican. McGreevey appointed a poet to be head of New Jersey Homeland Security? Hmmm, that always sounds good. 
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2007, 02:28:00 PM »

The main issue here is Jim McGreevey, and his actions as Governor of New Jersey.  He has proven himself to be an incompetent executive, and it is no exaggeration to say that he literally put lives in danger when he appointed his unqualified gay lover to head up Homeland Security for the state—one who couldn't even pass a basic security clearance.

Oh please, the Department of Homeland Security is a joke!  A mere propaganda show.  I think McGreevey showed the proper attitude towards it.  And he was certainly far more competent than Chambliss or Coburn, by definition.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Really?  He's never proposed changing the status quo in any significant way.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2007, 03:21:13 PM »

What does FL stand for, since it obviously isn't Florida?
CavanaughPark
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: 6.06, S: 0.35

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2007, 03:45:21 PM »

1. We're not talking about the Department of Homeland Security. Governors don't appoint officials to federal agencies.
2. Cipel was horribly unqualified for the post McGreevey initially appointed him to, as the Homeland Security adviser to the Governor of New Jersey. Advising the Governor on security measures, national guard deployment, etc, etc. is not a propaganda show.
3. Golan Cipel is more qualified than two US Senators for what exactly? Besides, qualifications of Senators is determined by voters. Homeland Security advisers are appointed by supposedly competent executives.

Really?  He's never proposed changing the status quo in any significant way.
[/quote]

Good grief. I mostly follow economic issues in Congress and Frank is always devising ways to tear apart the Federal Reserve piece by piece.

Frank is usually acknowledged as a figure in the liberal wing of the Democratic Party. It's like conventional wisdom by now.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2007, 08:07:21 PM »

Considering Rep. Frank let his lover operate a prostitution ring out of his Capitol Hill apartment, and Gov. McGreevey appointed his lover a homeland security adviser, I would think their homosexuality would be among the least of their electoral woes.  Did you choose crooks on purpose?

No.  Franks and McGreevy are simply two known gay Democrats.  If there are other gay Democrats better suited for a national ticket, and there must be, they could easily replace Franks and McGreevy.  I would actually like two respected, capable, gay Democrats in this scenario running against two Republicans who may be homophobes, to see what forum members think would happen in such a match up.  I believe that just because someone is gay does not necessarily mean they cannot be a capable leader.   
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2007, 09:04:53 PM »

Frank = Massachusetts Democrat
Franks = New Jersey Republican

Chuck Hagel versus Ed Koch would be interesting.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies