The Hill: State by state - KY, MN, OH, OK, PA, VA
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:41:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The Hill: State by state - KY, MN, OH, OK, PA, VA
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Hill: State by state - KY, MN, OH, OK, PA, VA  (Read 995 times)
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 01, 2007, 10:49:40 AM »

By The Hill Staff
November 01, 2007

Kentucky

The AFL-CIO announced Wednesday that it will kick off its “final four” program Saturday, aimed at mobilizing voters in the last four days of the Kentucky governor’s race on behalf of challenger Steve Beshear (D).

The labor group said an “army” of volunteers will try to mobilize almost 350,000 voters in a state that where 26 percent of voters will be unionized workers.

“This election is about taking Kentucky in a new direction, plain and simple,” Bill Londrigan, president of the Kentucky AFL-CIO, said in a statement. “Working people care about quality healthcare and family-supporting jobs. That’s why they are enthusiastic to vote next Tuesday for working family candidates like Steve Beshear.”

The latest polling in the race shows Beshear leading Gov. Ernie Fletcher (R), whose one term has been marred by a hiring scandal, by a 23-point margin. The (Louisville) Courier-Journal Bluegrass poll shows Beshear with 56 percent to Fletcher’s 23 percent.

— Sam Youngman

Minnesota

Retired Lt. Col. Joe Repya has decided not to challenge Sen. Norm Coleman (R) in a primary next year, citing the monetary demands and the effect that a contest would have on his party.

The Iraq war veteran and former Coleman adviser told The Hill in June, after losing a bid for state party chairman, that he was examining a challenge to Coleman. That challenge would have come from the right.

“I feel a challenge at this time would be financially difficult for my family and divisive to Minnesota Republican Party unity,” Repya said in a statement Monday. “I wish Sen. Coleman success in his race in 2008.”

Coleman will face the winner of a crowded Democratic primary in what is expected to be a difficult reelection race. Comedian Al Franken and attorney Mike Ciresi are the front-runners for their party’s nomination.

— Aaron Blake

State Sen. Terri Bonoff (D) will announce on Monday her candidacy for retiring Rep. Jim Ramstad’s (R) seat, becoming the first major Democrat to officially enter the race.

Edina Mayor John Hovland (R) is weighing whether to switch parties and run for the Democratic nod as well. State Rep. Erik Paulsen is running on the Republican side.

Bonoff’s announcement will come at a local high school.

— A.B.

Ohio

Democrat Mary Jo Kilroy on Tuesday won the endorsement of EMILY’s List, which boasts a huge political action committee, for her bid for the 15th congressional district.

Kilroy is still running unopposed for the seat. Her opponent in the 2006 general election race, Rep. Deborah Pryce (R), plans to retire at the end of the term, and the GOP is struggling to find a candidate.

Several top choices have already declined to run, and Kilroy’s growing war chest could make recruitment more difficult: She reported $383,000 cash on hand in her last fundraising report.

EMILY’s List, which supports pro-abortion rights women for political office, has also endorsed: former New Hampshire Gov. Jeanne Shaheen (D) in her Senate bid, Colorado 2nd district candidate Joan Fitz-Gerald (D), Maine 1st district candidate Chellie Pingree (D), presidential candidate Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.), Missouri 6th district candidate Kay Barnes (D), Rep. Melissa Bean (D-Ill.) and Florida 13th district candidate Christine Jennings.

The group supported Kilroy in 2006 as well.

— Jessica Holzer

Oklahoma

With Senate Democrats’ growing list of pickup opportunities in 2008, state Sen. Andrew Rice’s (D) uphill campaign for Sen. James Inhofe’s (R) seat has flown largely under the radar. But it appears Democratic leaders and his opponents are starting to take notice.

At a briefing with reporters on Wednesday, Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee Chairman Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) suggested Rice might make the state competitive.

Rice raised about $310,000 in the third quarter, a figure Schumer found encouraging.

“State Sen. Rice in Oklahoma is a good candidate,” Schumer said. “He’s going to surprise people.”

Also on Wednesday, the state Republican Party launched a website (www.andrewricesweb.com) attempting to tie Rice to a series of left-of-center groups, including MoveOn.org and Daily Kos.
— A.B.

Pennsylvania

Another candidate has entered the Democratic primary to take on Rep. Phil English (R) in 2008.

Local arboretum director Kathy Dahlkemper announced her candidacy for the seat last week, joining Erie County Councilman Kyle Foust, Erie attorney Tom Myers and activist Mike Waltner.

English also has an independent challenger in Steve Porter, who ran against him in 2006 as the Democratic nominee. English beat the under-funded Porter 54-42 and is a top target this cycle.

— A.B.

Virginia

Former Gov. Mark Warner (D), who is running for the open seat of outgoing Sen. John Warner (R), has attended more than 48 events for specific candidates and the Democratic Party in advance of next Tuesday’s state elections, according to his campaign.

He has also been actively campaigning for the Democrat running against the wife of Rep. Tom Davis (R-Va.), who until last week was thought of as another potential Senate candidate.

Mark Warner has attended one event for J.C. “Chap” Petersen, who is challenging incumbent state Sen. Jeannemarie Devolites Davis (R) in a tight race in the 34th district. Rep. Davis last week announced he would not run against Warner for Senate. Among his reasons, Davis cited the strains of constant campaigning on his household.

“I want to make sure [Gov.] Tim Kaine gets some allies in Richmond,” Warner said of his efforts.

— Nathaniel Weixel

http://thehill.com/campaign-2008/state-by-state-2007-11-01.html
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 01:01:03 PM »

Its encouraging that Chuck Schumer is taking a look at Oklahoma.  I know Rice will make the state competitive, and it will make it even better if Schumer shovels some money into the Sooner State, which I believe he will.

Inhofe better watch out.

I got an e-mail yesterday from the Rice Campaign and looks like Inhofe absolutely does not even care about the needs of his own state, anymore.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 01:06:03 PM »

I got an e-mail yesterday from the Rice Campaign and looks like Inhofe absolutely does not even care about the needs of his own state, anymore.

You mean to say that Inhofe's opponent doesn't think Inhofe cares about Oklahoma?  Oh, no!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 01:19:35 PM »

in a state that where 26 percent of voters will be unionized workers.

Nowhere near that high
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 02:30:50 PM »

You mean to say that Inhofe's opponent doesn't think Inhofe cares about Oklahoma?  Oh, no!

If you read it in a email it has to be true.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 02:41:54 PM »

This is the e-mail I got from State Sen. Andrew Rice:

Dear Jeff:

One year from now, on November 4, 2008, we will all be making an important decision about our nation’s future - whether we maintain the status quo or take a new direction.

In Oklahoma, we will be making the same decision for our state. Do we vote to continue politics as usual, or do vote for change?

I believe I can help lead our country in a new direction, but my campaign for U.S. Senate is not just about me. It’s about every Oklahoman. It’s about the future prosperity of our state.

When I ran for state senate, I knocked on nearly every door in my district and listened to the concerns of the people behind them. Once they became my constituents, I was a better advocate for them because of my door-walking campaign. For my U.S. Senate campaign, I am entering into the same process for the Democratic nomination. Though I can’t knock on every door in the state, I am listening to the people of Oklahoma.  I will be a better voice for Oklahomans if I know what’s important to them, and can address their concerns.

The incumbent senator, Jim Inhofe, on the other hand, proved how out of touch he is last week by taking more than two hours on the Senate floor to rail against the reality of climate change. Instead of being an advocate for the Oklahoma’s promise as a leader in clean-burning energy, he is still debating an issue that’s long settled, isolating himself from even his own party - many of whom see the need to address the problem rather than merely denying the problem.

The Oklahoman on Tuesday included some of my response to Sen. Inhofe's floor speech, in which I called on Sen. Inhofe to spend equal time promoting Oklahoma’s unique position to become a leader in developing alternative energy sources. Our rich reserves of natural gas and our tremendous potential to use wind, switchgrass, animal products, and other natural resources as viable energy alternatives presents us with a great opportunity to lead. But instead of leading, Sen. Inhofe has proved the world is passing him by. He’s stuck on arguing the existence of a problem, while the rest of us are moving on to the solution.

I will continue to lead on this issue. In the coming session of the state legislature, I will push for Oklahoma to convert our state vehicle fleet to clean-burning natural gas. On Saturday, I will speak at an event in Oklahoma City called “Step It Up” as part of a national day of climate action. And as a U.S. Senator, I will be the advocate our state needs - and our nation needs - on this issue.

To make it to the U.S. Senate, though, I need your help. Of course I need you to donate to my campaign if you are able. Sen. Inhofe will be rewarded by the special interests he serves, so I will need your help to get my message for change heard.

However, even with your financial contribution, I know I will not be able to match the millions that are within Senator Inhofe’s reach.

That’s why today I am asking you to help my campaign in a different way. To ensure that our state takes a new direction in 2008, I will need hundreds of volunteers across our state to join me. I won’t have the resources to hire a large staff, and I will need every penny I can save to promote my message on television. Already hundreds of you have signed up to help me as volunteers, agreeing to do everything from knocking on doors to displaying a bumper sticker.

I am issuing a challenge to my supporters to help me reach 750 volunteers by the end of November. Also, I want to have at least one person ready to volunteer for me in each of Oklahoma’s 77 counties by the end of the month.

When I last issued a challenge to my supporters to reach 350 supporters on ActBlue, you responded with tremendous support and blew away my goal - reaching 409 supporters by the end of September. I need your help again to make this challenge as successful as the last one.

The election is one year away, and the time to start taking Oklahoma in a new direction is now. I need your help to make sure that November 4, 2008, is a day for change.

Sincerely,

Andrew Rice
Oklahoma State Senator

P.S.  Make sure to visit my website to read my response to Sen. Inhofe, and to sign up to volunteer. To make a change next November, we need to start this November. You can start this Saturday by attending the Step It Up event in Oklahoma City, or in your community – go to stepitup2007.org for more information.

HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 03:26:50 PM »

|X|
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 10:40:51 PM »

As much as I want Inhofe to go I don't think he will.  If your state is f***ed up enough to vote Inhofe into the Senate in the first place ( as well as Coburn) it doesn't give me much confidence in the state to oust his ass.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 10:43:35 PM »

Go Bonoff!
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2007, 01:12:45 AM »

lol on the whole Kilroy situation in my district.  There was a small blurb in the paper last week which indicated the mayor of Hilliard was considering running but no major announcements or under the radar campaigns have emerged.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies