Clinton running mate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:29:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Clinton running mate
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Clinton running mate  (Read 3690 times)
ukchris82
Rookie
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 05, 2007, 01:36:40 PM »

Would Clinton pick a current senator for her running mate, knowing that, it may decrease the democratic control of the senate?

E.g. Would she pick Evan Byah (who seems to be mentioned name), or Richardson (who would be a shoo-in in NM) knowing that, Indiana may then choose a GOP replacement, and thus decrease the control of the senate, which could potentially be filibuster proof.

PS: I'm so pleased I found this site!
I love it!
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 01:40:24 PM »

PS: I'm so pleased I found this site!
I love it!

Another Brit Smiley and a Democrat as well Wink. Welcome to the Forum, Chris

Dave
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 11:50:27 PM »

ukchris welcome to the forum.

It is essential for Clinton to go with a safe, white, Protestant, moderate male, who will be acceptable to women and non threatening to men, someone seen as capable, someone politically experienced, someone she would be comfortable with on the ticket and should she become President someone she would be comfortable working with in her administration.

She goes with Senator Evan Bayh of Indiana, who is also a former Governor of Indiana.  The fact he is a sitting Senator from a state with a Republican Governor does not come into play, as Clinton will want his experience, his appeal, and his abilities.   
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 11:40:27 AM »

In no particular order:

Sen. Mark Pryor (AR)
Sen. Tom Carper (DE)
Sen. Evan Bayh (IN)
Sen. Jim Webb (VA)
Sen. Bill Nelson (FL)
Sen. Ben Nelson (NE)
Gov. Tim Kaine (VA)
Gov. Brian Schweitzer (MT)
Gov. Bill Richardson (NM)
Gov. Mike Easely (NC)
Gov. Phil Bredesen (TN)
Gov. Dave Freudenthal (WY)
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 08:21:09 PM »

In no particular order:

Sen. Mark Pryor (AR)
Sen. Tom Carper (DE)
Sen. Evan Bayh (IN)
Sen. Jim Webb (VA)
Sen. Bill Nelson (FL)
Sen. Ben Nelson (NE)
Gov. Tim Kaine (VA)
Gov. Mike Easely (NC)
Gov. Phil Bredesen (TN)

Where's Governor Strickland (OH)?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 03:07:23 AM »
« Edited: November 08, 2007, 03:09:10 AM by Tammany Hall Republican »

It is essential for Clinton to go with a safe, white, Protestant, moderate male, who will be acceptable to women and non threatening to men, someone seen as capable, someone politically experienced, someone she would be comfortable with on the ticket and should she become President someone she would be comfortable working with in her administration.

She goes with Senator Evan Bayh of Indiana, who is also a former Governor of Indiana.  The fact he is a sitting Senator from a state with a Republican Governor does not come into play, as Clinton will want his experience, his appeal, and his abilities.   

As a correction, Clinton should go with someone with the above characteristics and qualities, and whether this individual was Protestant or Catholic it would not matter in any way, shape or form.

It just happens in this case that Bayh is Protestant, but he would still be the best running mate for Clinton whether he was Protestant or Catholic.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 11:17:21 AM »

In no particular order:

Sen. Mark Pryor (AR)
Sen. Tom Carper (DE)
Sen. Evan Bayh (IN)
Sen. Jim Webb (VA)
Sen. Bill Nelson (FL)
Sen. Ben Nelson (NE)
Gov. Tim Kaine (VA)
Gov. Mike Easely (NC)
Gov. Phil Bredesen (TN)

And Fromer NATO Commander Wesley Clark?
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.61, S: 0.65

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 12:52:57 PM »

What would happen then if the Republican governor of Indiana loses? Would the lame duck incumbent apppoint a GOP senator to fill Bayh's spot, or would the newly elected Dem governor choose a Dem to fill a Dem seat?
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 04:21:58 PM »

I think it would come down to Bayh, Clark, or Vilsack. The only reason why I would give Bayh a better chance as getting it is, as I've said before, Bill Clinton seems to be a fan and I think would push for his selection. If not Bayh, then I would say Clark would be the next most likely choice. While I think he would be heavily considered, I think Vilsack is the least likely to actually get chosen.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 05:06:28 PM »

In no particular order:

Sen. Mark Pryor (AR)
Sen. Tom Carper (DE)
Sen. Evan Bayh (IN)
Sen. Jim Webb (VA)
Sen. Bill Nelson (FL)
Sen. Ben Nelson (NE)
Gov. Tim Kaine (VA)
Gov. Mike Easely (NC)
Gov. Phil Bredesen (TN)

I forgot about Strickland; and as for Clark, I think she has Arkansas in the bag, and Clark wouldn't do a great job bringing in other states.
bbt
Rookie
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 11:20:46 AM »

Hillary will pick Richardson to be VP
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 10:35:50 PM »

I would say Sen. Evan Bayh and Gov. Bill Richardson are the most likely choices.  However, I do think the fact that Bayh's replacement would be appointed by a Republican Governor is a strike against him in Clinton's mind.  That is one less supportive vote in the Senate for her Presidential agenda.  Nevertheless, he may be chosen.  Richardson balances Clinton well and his foreign policy and energy policy experience are a big plus.  But he has a lot of baggage and his media skills are bad. 

Jim Webb and Ted Strickland are too new to their jobs to be chosen.

I am one of the few who thinks Clinton may choose Barack Obama.  He would not be her first choice but if he finishes a strong second in the primaries to her she will be under pressure to pick him or risk alienating a big portion of the Democratic base.  If Obama has a poor showing Clinton will surely choose someone else.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 10:45:48 PM »

They both have previous experience though.  Webb was Secretary of the Navy and Strickland was in the House for 12 years.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2007, 10:58:58 PM »

They both have previous experience though.  Webb was Secretary of the Navy and Strickland was in the House for 12 years.

I know, but this is their first foray into a major statewide elected office, the traditional breeding ground for a spot on a Presidential ticket.  Also, from a PR standpoint it would look bad for them to quit only 2 years into their current position.  Voters would think -- the people of his state just hired him and he's already jumping ship?
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2007, 11:50:05 PM »

In no particular order:

Sen. Mark Pryor (AR)
Sen. Tom Carper (DE)
Sen. Evan Bayh (IN)
Sen. Jim Webb (VA)
Sen. Bill Nelson (FL)
Sen. Ben Nelson (NE)
Gov. Tim Kaine (VA)
Gov. Mike Easely (NC)
Gov. Phil Bredesen (TN)

I forgot about Strickland; and as for Clark, I think she has Arkansas in the bag, and Clark wouldn't do a great job bringing in other states.

His big draw would be foreign policy credentials.  An area Clinton needs to win the election.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2007, 09:47:30 AM »

What about Mark Warner?
gorkay

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2007, 03:30:27 PM »

Warner's running for the Senate seat vacated by John Warner, and I'm sure the Dems would rather see him take that seat, which looks like a sure thing, than get sidetracked running for V-P. The current governor of Virginia, Tim Kaine, might not be such a bad choice, except that if he were to win, the lieutenant governor would take office, and he's a Republican. But on the other hand, there's a gubernatorial election in 2009 anyway. The biggest argument against Kaine is that he might not be able to deliver the state to the Dems with Hillary at the top of the ticket.
gorkay

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2007, 05:21:53 PM »

I disagree. In fact, I don't think there's a chance in the world that she'd pick Obama, because political exigencies virtually demand that she pick a white man as running mate.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2007, 05:29:20 PM »

If nominated, she will pick Obama.  Why you ask?  One word.  MONEY.  He has raised tons of money and she will want it to go toward their combined campaigns.  He is also from a safe Dem state for his replacement in the Senate.

Obama will spend most of that money trying to win the nomination.  Whatever's left will be a paltry sum compared to whatever HRC (or really, any potential major party nominee this year) would be able to raise for the GE.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2007, 12:07:35 AM »
« Edited: November 17, 2007, 12:09:41 AM by Ogre Mage »

I don't think Clark is as likely a choice as Bayh or Richardson, but he definitely will be considered.  It certainly would not hurt the Democrats to have a 4-star General on the ticket.  However, Hillary would have to tutor Clark in domestic policy and the parliamentary procedure of the Senate.  It is unknown how much Clark has improved politically since his failed 2004 run. 
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2007, 12:32:31 PM »

Mark Warner would have been ideal but he's running for Senate.

Bill Richardson would be decent in that he's got experience, brings the Hispanic vote, helps in the Southwest, and doesn't "outshine" her.

Barack Obama brings star power but is inexperienced and seems to have foot/mouth tendencies.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2007, 03:57:21 PM »

Biden would be good.  He can bring in catholic voters, maybe swinging states like FL or OH.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2007, 07:37:40 PM »

Biden would be good.  He can bring in catholic voters, maybe swinging states like FL or OH.

I tend to disagree.  Don't get me wrong because I like Biden.  But speaking as a Catholic I don't vote for someone based on religion.  In fact I don't know of any Catholic who does vote based on religion.  There are some who vote based on view of Roe v Wade, but that's it.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2007, 07:43:30 PM »

I tend to disagree.  Don't get me wrong because I like Biden.  But speaking as a Catholic I don't vote for someone based on religion.  In fact I don't know of any Catholic who does vote based on religion.  There are some who vote based on view of Roe v Wade, but that's it.

Nor do I know any people like that, but there are some who are like that I am sure.  (People are also more likely to vote for someone they like and identify, think Bush's pork rinds and beer image in 2000 and 2004.)
agcatter
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2007, 12:31:57 AM »

Bayh would be good although I don't think anyone has any expectations of him bringing along Indiana - just a good centrist choice for the general election.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies