Clinton running mate (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:59:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Clinton running mate (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Clinton running mate  (Read 3710 times)
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« on: November 13, 2007, 10:35:50 PM »

I would say Sen. Evan Bayh and Gov. Bill Richardson are the most likely choices.  However, I do think the fact that Bayh's replacement would be appointed by a Republican Governor is a strike against him in Clinton's mind.  That is one less supportive vote in the Senate for her Presidential agenda.  Nevertheless, he may be chosen.  Richardson balances Clinton well and his foreign policy and energy policy experience are a big plus.  But he has a lot of baggage and his media skills are bad. 

Jim Webb and Ted Strickland are too new to their jobs to be chosen.

I am one of the few who thinks Clinton may choose Barack Obama.  He would not be her first choice but if he finishes a strong second in the primaries to her she will be under pressure to pick him or risk alienating a big portion of the Democratic base.  If Obama has a poor showing Clinton will surely choose someone else.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 10:58:58 PM »

Jim Webb and Ted Strickland are too new to their jobs to be chosen.

They both have previous experience though.  Webb was Secretary of the Navy and Strickland was in the House for 12 years.

I know, but this is their first foray into a major statewide elected office, the traditional breeding ground for a spot on a Presidential ticket.  Also, from a PR standpoint it would look bad for them to quit only 2 years into their current position.  Voters would think -- the people of his state just hired him and he's already jumping ship?
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 12:07:35 AM »
« Edited: November 17, 2007, 12:09:41 AM by Ogre Mage »

I don't think Clark is as likely a choice as Bayh or Richardson, but he definitely will be considered.  It certainly would not hurt the Democrats to have a 4-star General on the ticket.  However, Hillary would have to tutor Clark in domestic policy and the parliamentary procedure of the Senate.  It is unknown how much Clark has improved politically since his failed 2004 run. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies