the election will not be mocked
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:48:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  the election will not be mocked
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: the election will not be mocked  (Read 1821 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 05, 2007, 06:04:21 PM »

Hollywood writers are on strike:

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iE0uIqtrdPXiNMr1qniAIsCAa0fwD8SNP3JG0

Immediate impact: Reruns for late night shows like SNL, Colbert, Conan, Leno, etc.  Those shows rely on current events, so it's not like they have a stockpile of scripts they can unpack when something like this happens.  When the writers go on strike, those shows shut down immediately.  It's unclear how long the strike will last, but the last writers' strike (back in '88) lasted 5 months.  If this one lasts 3 or more months, then none of those shows will be producing new episodes again until after the 2008 nominations are decided.  So this development is welcome news for those candidates who would be targeted by late night comedians.  They'll be able to slide through the nomination fight without any mockery from Leno, Stewart, Colbert, etc.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 06:08:24 PM »

Hollywood writers are on strike:

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iE0uIqtrdPXiNMr1qniAIsCAa0fwD8SNP3JG0

Immediate impact: Reruns for late night shows like SNL, Colbert, Conan, Leno, etc.  Those shows rely on current events, so it's not like they have a stockpile of scripts they can unpack when something like this happens.  When the writers go on strike, those shows shut down immediately.  It's unclear how long the strike will last, but the last writers' strike (back in '88) lasted 5 months.  If this one lasts 3 or more months, then none of those shows will be producing new episodes again until after the 2008 nominations are decided.  So this development is welcome news for those candidates who would be targeted by late night comedians.  They'll be able to slide through the nomination fight without any mockery from Leno, Stewart, Colbert, etc.

we have 2 months til the next event of relevance
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 06:18:05 PM »

That's why I said "If this one lasts 3 or more months".  I'm assuming the nominations will be decided on Feb. 5th.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 07:17:14 PM »

I was just about to say...well, couldn't the actors on SNL...write their own material, which they do a lot anyway?

And then I see the pic of Tina Fey picketing.

If you're not going to bother keeping your own show going, I don't see why I should help you out when it comes back on the air by watching it.

*grumble grumble grumble*
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 07:02:03 AM »

I was just about to say...well, couldn't the actors on SNL...write their own material, which they do a lot anyway?

Tina Fey gets paid as a writer (and actress), that's why she is picketing.

I don't have a dog in this fight.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 08:38:26 AM »
« Edited: November 06, 2007, 08:43:46 AM by StateBoiler »

I actually side with the writers on that one. As their efforts go into making the product, I don't see why they shouldn't be able to make a percentage of DVD sales, mobile phone video sales, etc.

My generation was subjected to constant abuse from the big media companies in that us downloading movies and songs and TV shows online was taking away a paycheck from a hardworking blue-collar individual just trying to make it in Los Angeles. And now those companies sell DVDs and shows via the internet without paying those workers a portion of the proceeds from the sales of those products they helped create? Yeah, that's logical.

And may I mention I love Tina Fey. Cheesy
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 10:49:48 AM »

If you're not going to bother keeping your own show going, I don't see why I should help you out when it comes back on the air by watching it.

You do realize Tina Fey is no longer with SNL right?  But I guess you still have a valid point since she both writes and acts in her new show, 30 Rock.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 01:15:31 PM »

I actually side with the writers on that one. As their efforts go into making the product, I don't see why they shouldn't be able to make a percentage of DVD sales, mobile phone video sales, etc.

My generation was subjected to constant abuse from the big media companies in that us downloading movies and songs and TV shows online was taking away a paycheck from a hardworking blue-collar individual just trying to make it in Los Angeles. And now those companies sell DVDs and shows via the internet without paying those workers a portion of the proceeds from the sales of those products they helped create? Yeah, that's logical.

To be clear, the writers already do get residuals from DVD sales, but it's only 4 cents per DVD sold.  And they don't get any residuals from internet downloads.  Those terms were negotiated years ago, when home video sales and internet distribution were a much smaller piece of the studios' revenues.  Now that those things have grown so much, the writers want a bigger slice of that pie.  The studios are resisting in part because they're afraid that if they give bigger residuals to the writers, there'll be pressure to give similar increases to the directors and actors.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 04:18:40 PM »

You do realize Tina Fey is no longer with SNL right?  But I guess you still have a valid point since she both writes and acts in her new show, 30 Rock.

Serves me right for...um...not watching TV in 4 years.

I think I'll just shut up now.
gorkay

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 05:05:54 PM »

People like Tina Fey (and Stephen Colbert and Jon Stewart and some of the SNL performers) are members of the writers' union, even though they are also performers. You can't write for a TV show unless you are a member. So they can't just write their own material and perform it-- I guess they could, actually, but then they would be a lousy bunch of SCABS!!!
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 07:51:17 PM »

Serves me right for...um...not watching TV in 4 years.

I think I'll just shut up now.

SNL has really cut down the size of their cast in the past couple years. They no longer have featured players. They have a couple people that I think are in almost every skit. Although I think a smaller cast will do them better. The only problem is you then run into this past weekend when they have no one to play Obama and had to bring in former SNL-er Horatio Sanz to play Richardson.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies