Rep. Jim Saxton to retire
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:35:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Rep. Jim Saxton to retire
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Rep. Jim Saxton to retire  (Read 6932 times)
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2007, 11:37:09 PM »

Huh? Are the Republicans trying to lose this seat? Why would Saxton nudge Allen, ostensibly the most electable moderate, out of the race in favor of an unknown defense contractor? First, Saxton allocates fed dollars for Lockheed Martin, and then he tries to turn his House seat over to a Lockheed employee?  Anybody smell quid pro quo? If Saxton is hired as a defense lobbyist, we'll know that a deal was in the works.
Conan
conan

« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2007, 03:05:59 AM »

Huh? Are the Republicans trying to lose this seat? Why would Saxton nudge Allen, ostensibly the most electable moderate, out of the race in favor of an unknown defense contractor? First, Saxton allocates fed dollars for Lockheed Martin, and then he tries to turn his House seat over to a Lockheed employee?  Anybody smell quid pro quo? If Saxton is hired as a defense lobbyist, we'll know that a deal was in the works.

Why would he endorse a liberal?
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2007, 03:17:25 AM »

Why would he endorse a liberal?

I'm pretty sure Saxton was there at the Diane Allen for U.S. Senate victory party in 2002...
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2007, 02:20:42 PM »

Diane Allen is not running.

http://politickernj.com/allen-drops-bid-congress-14353
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2007, 02:21:53 PM »

I was surprised.  I guess this seat leans Democrat now.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2007, 02:28:33 PM »

I don't know whether this is good or bad for Adler. While Allen is fairly popular, the possibility that the next R candidate comes from Ocean is troubling. On the other hand, a less known challenger even being from Ocean might not be so bad.
Conan
conan

« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2007, 02:35:24 PM »

As I predicted.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2007, 03:37:38 PM »

I don't know whether this is good or bad for Adler. While Allen is fairly popular, the possibility that the next R candidate comes from Ocean is troubling. On the other hand, a less known challenger even being from Ocean might not be so bad.

I'm not sure that there are any strong challengers from Ocean still considering bids if Chris Conners isn't running.  I put little stock in the freeholders, but perhaps one of the Assemblycritters could make this a two or three point race.

I'd expect the race to get blisteringly negative now.  (Much more so than the race in NJ-07.  If Lance wins the nod, I'd expect NJ-07 to be unusually civil.  He's lucky that Ferguson drove up Stender's negatives for him.)

Republicans in NJ-03 definitely need Giuliani on the ticket now.  If he's winning the district, Republicans still have a shot here.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2007, 03:47:08 PM »

I'm not sure that there are any strong challengers from Ocean still considering bids if Chris Conners isn't running.  I put little stock in the freeholders, but perhaps one of the Assemblycritters could make this a two or three point race.

I'd expect the race to get blisteringly negative now.  (Much more so than the race in NJ-07.  If Lance wins the nod, I'd expect NJ-07 to be unusually civil.  He's lucky that Ferguson drove up Stender's negatives for him.)

Republicans in NJ-03 definitely need Giuliani on the ticket now.  If he's winning the district, Republicans still have a shot here.

The problem is that it is looking increasingly likely that Mitt Romney will be the nominee and he will be of no help and could even hurt in this district.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2007, 03:52:55 PM »

The problem is that it is looking increasingly likely that Mitt Romney will be the nominee and he will be of no help and could even hurt in this district.

It's looking less and less likely that Romney will be the nominee.  Dude is in a freefall in Iowa.

Still, if Huckabee is the beneficiary of that, I'm not sure he's a better fit for NJ-03 than Romney.  (Huckabee'll still win huge in Ocean County, of course.)
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2007, 04:14:44 PM »

Here's a question: we can all come up with states where Giuliani, Huckabee, Thompson, or McCain helps with down-ticket races.

Is there any place in the country where Mitt Romney would have a positive effect? Idaho and Utah max out Republican already. It isn't Massachusetts, and come November, it won't be New Hampshire, either. Maybe he could return UT-2 to the Republicans with a strong candidate, but everywhere else, you think "aw geez, Romney's going to kill it for the Republican."
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2007, 04:20:55 PM »

Here's a question: we can all come up with states where Giuliani, Huckabee, Thompson, or McCain helps with down-ticket races.

Is there any place in the country where Mitt Romney would have a positive effect? Idaho and Utah max out Republican already. It isn't Massachusetts, and come November, it won't be New Hampshire, either. Maybe he could return UT-2 to the Republicans with a strong candidate, but everywhere else, you think "aw geez, Romney's going to kill it for the Republican."

Giuliani would be the best candidate in still bad circumstances for the GOP here and elsewhere in 2008.  I think the Republican Party may get a slight break and end up nominating him with Huckabee as Vice President, possibly. 
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2007, 10:22:53 PM »

It's looking less and less likely that Romney will be the nominee.  Dude is in a freefall in Iowa.

Still, if Huckabee is the beneficiary of that, I'm not sure he's a better fit for NJ-03 than Romney.  (Huckabee'll still win huge in Ocean County, of course.)

I don't know if he would even win Ocean County.  Al Gore almost carried it in 2000 and Clinton did carry it in 1996. 
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2007, 10:23:43 PM »

He would probably carry Nevada, where he may help John Porter in NV-03. 
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2007, 10:39:10 PM »

He would probably carry Nevada, where he may help John Porter in NV-03. 

Little pet peeve here -- I'm really tired of people misspelling Rep. Jon Porter's name. No "h," because his birth name is Jonathan. A relative of mine works in his office and he tells me that part of his job is correcting the way reporters spelling of Rep. Porter's name.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2007, 01:07:10 AM »

This I've never understood: If Romney is slick enough to win the Primary Election, what makes you think he's going to be so easy and effortless to beat in the General Election?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2007, 01:10:18 AM »

This I've never understood: If Romney is slick enough to win the Primary Election, what makes you think he's going to be so easy and effortless to beat in the General Election?

To be fair, with the exception of Huckabee, Romney's not exactly facing the dream team of Republican primaries.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2007, 01:56:06 AM »

Because he polls horribly in the GE?
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2007, 03:35:50 AM »

Because he polls horribly in the GE?

So did Al Gore at first.

Romney's not trying to win a GE right now.  He's trying to win a PE.  He's given Independents and Democrats absolutely no reason to vote for him because that's largely incompatible with winning a GOP primary with skeptical conservative credentials, so yeah, dude's gonna poll terribly on a GE ballot.

I'm no Romney fan to say the least, but I don't think the assumptions of Romney being completely and totally blown out are especially realistic.  I don't think he'll win, but I don't think he'll lose in a landslide, either.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies