Can Giuliani Defeat Clinton?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:36:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Can Giuliani Defeat Clinton?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Can Giuliani Defeat Clinton?  (Read 2334 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 10, 2007, 12:44:47 PM »

Recent polls show a virtual dead heat between Giuliani and Clinton.

If Rudy Giuliani manages to win the Republican nomination, can he defeat Hillary Clinton in the general election?

Please discuss.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 01:18:28 PM »

I see no reason why not. Likewise, I also see no reason why Clinton could exceed 300 electoral votes against him.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 01:51:47 PM »

He could, but he probably won't. He's looking like the GOP's best chance, though.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 02:40:19 PM »

It's definitely possible, but he's the underdog.

Electorally his biggest challenge will be holding the GOP base and appealing to swing states simultaneously, which is going to be very hard for any GOP candidate to do in this environment.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 05:00:09 PM »

He can and he will.
bbt
Rookie
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 05:08:20 PM »

It's definitely possible, but he's the underdog.

Electorally his biggest challenge will be holding the GOP base and appealing to swing states simultaneously, which is going to be very hard for any GOP candidate to do in this environment.

Sorry I dont see the GOP base nor the South swinging to Hillary no matter who the Republican nominee is
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 07:46:19 PM »

Its a possibility, but the public opposition to the GOP White House and most of the policies I think the favor is towards the democrats next year. If Rudy gets the nomination its going to split the republican party in two most likely.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 08:23:47 PM »

Its a possibility, but the public opposition to the GOP White House and most of the policies I think the favor is towards the democrats next year. If Rudy gets the nomination its going to split the republican party in two most likely.

Thank you for your comments.  Welcome to the forum.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2007, 08:27:09 PM »

Thank you for your comments.  Welcome to the forum.

Thanks, glad to be here =]
gorkay

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 08:33:52 PM »

He has a good chance of winning the nomination, and if he does so it's certainly possible for him to beat Clinton (or whoever else the Democratic nominee might be), but I don't think he's the GOP's strongest candidate. He has more negatives than some of the others, and I don't think he would run as strongly as some of the others in states where Republicans traditionally do well and would need to win if they are to take the Presidency.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2007, 01:39:38 AM »

I'm still shocked the Dems are going to nominate Hillary in the fisrt place, but if they do the only way she will be able to beat Rudy is if a Religous Right or Libertarian 3rd Party candidate gets any legs.  I actually expect (and hope) one or both of those happen.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2007, 01:51:05 AM »

No.  In order to appeal to the GOP base who don't exactly like his social views, Rudy has taken a very hard right position on foreign policy issues.  By doing this he disenfranchises moderates and Independents in the process. 
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2007, 05:57:20 AM »

I'm still shocked the Dems are going to nominate Hillary in the fisrt place, but if they do the only way she will be able to beat Rudy is if a Religous Right or Libertarian 3rd Party candidate gets any legs.  I actually expect (and hope) one or both of those happen.

Id like to point out that the nomination process has barely begun, we dunno if Hillary will get the nom for sure. 8]
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2007, 06:17:08 AM »

Id like to point out that the nomination process has barely begun, we dunno if Hillary will get the nom for sure. 8]
Aye, good point.

"I'm still shocked the Dems seem to be heading down the road to nominating Hillary...."

Although I really shouldn't be shocked, the Dems have a history of snatching defeat out of the jaws of victory.
agcatter
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2007, 12:48:28 AM »

Doubtful in my opinion.  I've changed my mind on him.  McCain would be by far the strongest in the general.  All recent state polls of late confirm that.

Survey USA vs Hillary

Oregon:
Giuliani  -1
McCain  +3 

Iowa:
Giuliani  -4
McCain  +4

Virginia:
Giuliani  even
McCain  +9!

Minn:
Giuliani  -6
McCain  -3

Wisconsin:
Giuliani  -7
McCain  -2

Ohio
Giuliani  -5
McCain  +1

Florida (Rasmussen today)
Giuliani  +5
McCain  +10

These are no surprise as they reflect the overall Rasmussen national numbers - McCain leading Hillary by 2 and Giuliani losing by 6.

McCain nails down the South early and runs better in the midwest.  Giuliani runs better in the east (Connecticut and NJ especially) but not good enough to actually carry any states in the northeast.

Don't worry Dems.  Republicans aren't smart enough to actually nominate McCain.  Hillary has a clear path.
Tarazis
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2007, 07:23:47 PM »

First I think that Clinton will get the Nomination.
I think that Giuliani will get the Nomination too but I think that it will be a dirtier win than Clinton.

I think that within the Rep, "Values" votes will split around other candidates, because of his liberal social outlook. I think that in the general that there may be a values candidate which will not take alot of the votes but will hurt him in several key states and Clinton could hit 300EVs. 

I've done a map and a bit more analyses, I don't know how to put it on here. Sorry.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies