Citizens' Redistricting Proposals (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:29:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Citizens' Redistricting Proposals (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Citizens' Redistricting Proposals  (Read 1754 times)
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« on: November 12, 2007, 11:10:07 AM »

Pretty ing stupid since it removes my say so in who represents me.

Think of it as an incentive to vote. That's where you really determine who represents you. (Personally, I have no problem with doing it either way, but the backlog of determining who is registered where and when they last voted would be immense.)

Its not so much an incentive to vote, but a mechanism to ensure that inactive voters do not skew the districts. Back in late 2004, Atlasia was witness to a scandal in which several Atlas members were recruited to register and then vote in what was then District 1 - some of these registrations were real people, some fictional handles invented by others to increase their vote count.

Once that election had come and gone, the voters concerned remained on the voter roll, but were totally inactive. As a result we ended up with a district with the same official population as the rest of the districts, but a much lower active population, as well as a serious bottleneck problem in redistricting. As a result, the Second Constitution contained a provision which changed the census to count only those who had voted in the previous election - thus whilst voters stayed on the rolls as they are entitled to do so, they did not affect the census count and thus produce districts where one is overly inactive compared to the others.

Inevitably, some genuinely active voters who for one reason or another could not vote in a particular election are affected, but in my experience that effect has been more manageable than the effect of large numbers of dead voters affecting the census.

Texasgurl should rest assured that she remains on the voter rolls - the list in another thread does not constitute the voter rolls, just those voters being counted for the purposes of the census. You will be able to vote for Senator.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies