The Day After Yesterday (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:41:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Day After Yesterday (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Day After Yesterday  (Read 2961 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: August 03, 2004, 06:39:38 PM »

It has been quite a while since I've seen it, but since IIRC that the war in that movie began with a Soviet invasion of West Germany, I don't see how you could say that it was an anti-Reagan film. Reagan never did advocate starting WW III.  It most definitely is an anti-nuclear war film in the fine tradition of such movies as Dr. Strangelove and Fail-Safe.  (Question: If those two films had been released in 1965 instead of 1964, would the famous "Daisy" ad have been as effective or even been made?)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2004, 01:00:04 PM »

While it probably should have been Pershings instead of Tridents, if that was in the movie (its been over a decade since I last saw it), I fail to see how placing the equivalent of SS-20's could be considered provocative enogh to goad the Societs into starting a war.  Assuming that it was there to make the point that there could be no such thing as a limited nuclear war, I fail to see the controversy.  A nuclear war limited to just Europe was always an impossibility and I can't recall anyone who thought that it was.  One might argue that the presence of theater nucear weapons in Europe might drag Europe into a nuclear exchange that it could have stayed out of, but not bloody likely given the presence of tactical nukes and the British and French nuclear forces, but that would be something of interest only to the European anti-nuke movement, not the American anti-nukers.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies