What do you expect of the GOP convention?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:24:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  What do you expect of the GOP convention?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What do you expect of the GOP convention?  (Read 2109 times)
qwerty
Dick Nixon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 04, 2004, 12:25:19 AM »

I think it will be very positive. I don't think you will hear Bush or any of the speekers mention Senator Kerry at all.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2004, 01:01:55 AM »
« Edited: August 04, 2004, 01:02:21 AM by Lunar »

It'll have light attacks mostly by mentioning what Bush won't do (our President won't raise your taxes).  I can't imagine Zell Miller's speech not blasting the current state of the Democratic Party either.  

I don't expect to ever hear Kerry's name mentioned, especially when it is a lot more strategic to remind people that he is a senator, no wait, a junior senator, from Massachusetts.
Mort from NewYawk
MortfromNewYawk

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2004, 09:46:52 AM »

To Be Expected
Patriotism: a lot of talk about American traditional values and freedoms.

Barack Obama-type rhetoric: lots of symbols of inclusion - blacks, Hispanics, Muslims.

America's might and strength - vigilance and victory against the enemy; lots of honoring of the troops.

Extra Credit
Heavy, almost somber patriotism. Emphasize the seriousness of the time we're in and the need to stay with the President in war. Giuliani will do well with this.

Highlight the accomplishments in Iraq in democracy, infrastructure.

Speakers, especially Bush and Cheney, should stay away from attacks on Democrats - nothing should come across as trite or insulting. Only Ahnold can be entertaining.

All tough-guy talk should be wrapped in patriotism, to avoid coming across as macho and crass (can't afford to alienate any more women).

Keep the religious right out of the media as much as possible.

Potential Mistake
Too many pictures and references to 9/11 - this is the biggest risk of backfire for the GOP.

If they orchestrate this right, they could come into Labor Day with the decisive few points they need in the Midwest battlegrounds. If they allow Democrats to paint them as elitist or cocky or mean-spirited, it'll be a see-saw battle until Election Day
Bandit3 the Worker
bandit73
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2004, 12:35:12 PM »

I expect the GOP convention to suck every bit as bad as every other GOP convention since 1988.
Mort from NewYawk
MortfromNewYawk

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2004, 12:50:25 PM »

I expect the GOP convention to suck every bit as bad as every other GOP convention since 1988.

A wise and considered opinion that I'm sure all of us respect.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2004, 01:08:40 PM »

A bunch of cheap and shameless 9/11 exploitation, and a huge hatefest reminiscent of 1992.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2004, 07:47:04 PM »

New Yorkers aren't going to be happy with Jerry Falwell speaking. He seemed to blame New Yorkers for 9/11.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2004, 08:48:43 PM »

He's speaking? Hello 1992 redux.
stry_cat

Political Matrix
E: 6.25, S: -1.38

P P P
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2004, 01:26:40 PM »

Take the Democratic convention and substitute the word Republican for Democrat and the word Bush for Kerry and you'll have the Republican Convention.  
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2004, 04:02:12 PM »

Take the Democratic convention and substitute the word Republican for Democrat and the word Bush for Kerry and you'll have the Republican Convention.  

At the risk of having my opinion dryly and sarcastically labelled "wise and considered" I have to say I agree.  Partly, for the reasons I'll assume you feel, but also because the suspense is gone, we know who will be nominated and what they'll say, much like the Dems.  The only potential difference may be the acceptance speech.  Kerry was fairly impressively taking cheap shots at Bush, even while he feigned disdain for mudslinging.  Bush has a hard act to follow.  I think I agree with Mort that they need to be careful not to overdo the "evildoer" business and stay away from the drippy patriotic symbolism of burning towers.  A moment of silence, respect, or memory might be in order.  Certainly it would, but I fear that they want to get more mileage out of that tragic circumstance then would be appropriate.

And yes, they're probably going to appear less compassionate than they'd like to with Fallwell.  Maybe they can give Larry Flynt equal time as Jerry Fallwell, in order to look really inclusive and big-tent.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2004, 04:40:53 PM »

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Republicans talk more about Democratic issues like education and the economy.  Just liked the Democrats seemed hawkish, the Republicans will try to seem strong on domestic issues.
freedomburns
FreedomBurns

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -8.70

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2004, 01:49:04 AM »

The Republicans will try to paint themselves to look like Democrats to appeal to a broader majority.  That's why they will be having mostly speakers who are moderates at the podium for primetime.  Giulani, Schwartzenegger, elt.  Aren't these speakers mostly pro-choice and socially moderate?  They don't think they should shore up the right wing base?  I thought that was Karl Rove's whole strategy this time around.

I can't wait to hear Cheney (Satan) speak.

freedomburns
zachman

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2004, 01:53:00 PM »

I think it will be a failed press blitz. It will be like one of Bush's prime time speeches only it won't cover anything real new. It will get far lower ratings that the Democratic Convention, and protesters will make the Republicans look snotty.
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2004, 02:16:07 PM »

Probably a good bit of talking up the US part in the war on terror and what we've achieved there as well. I would like to here some emphasis on the economy and social issues but I'm not going to hold my breath. They will definitely try to put forth their best at appearing strong, calm, and steadfast. I look forward immensely to Giuliani and Schwarzenegger, to name two. Bush, of course. And if any members of conservative religious movement are speaking, I'm thinking they might tone it down a notch or two - at least I darn well hope. It would be nice if Bill Owens is speaking, but I'm not sure if he is, would doubt it.
badnarikin04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2004, 10:14:49 AM »

I expect what i saw in the Democratic Convention.

A week of lazy soccer mom "delegates" getting "crunk" to "whatever old people are playing music aimed at their demographic", listening to "important" people make "speeches", and "choosing" a "candidate".

Overall, a pretty bland "convention".
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2004, 02:40:11 AM »

Lee Greenwood.  Lots and lots of Lee Greenwood.  I swear this man has no other career than playing the RNC every 4 years.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2004, 03:18:50 AM »

The Republicans will try to paint themselves to look like Democrats to appeal to a broader majority.  That's why they will be having mostly speakers who are moderates at the podium for primetime.  Giulani, Schwartzenegger, elt.  Aren't these speakers mostly pro-choice and socially moderate?  They don't think they should shore up the right wing base?  I thought that was Karl Rove's whole strategy this time around.

I can't wait to hear Cheney (Satan) speak.

freedomburns

This is 2004.  Moderates are not gonna fall for it like they did in 2000
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2004, 10:01:57 AM »

I expect nothing too different from the Democratic convention, and a lot of 9/11 exploitation (especially the megaphone video) and "patriotism belong to us" crap.  

I would also like to say the Republicans sholdn't be having their convention in NY, it's wrong.  And don't say 9/11 didn't play a role in THAT decision.  
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2004, 09:59:53 PM »

For those wanting to know, here is the tentitive lineup for 'prime time'.  You can figure the older broadcast networks will cover the last speaker each night, the news networks will cover the whole group of major speakers, and c-span will cover everything gavel to gavel.

Tacticly speaking, it's a decent lineup - even if many of the speakers are far more moderate than Bush.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2004, 10:07:35 PM »

I expect them to have the American taxpayers pay for the bill, just like the Democrats.
Alfie
Rookie

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2004, 06:28:22 AM »

A bunch of cheap and shameless 9/11 exploitation, and a huge hatefest reminiscent of 1992.

And more Black people on stage than the Republicans have registered nation wide...

Lots of sanctimonious saber rattling about the evils of modern science -- you know, like leeching and stem cell.

Tons of outright distortions about Kerry's record, and fabrications about Bush's.

Boatloads of GodCons and their palaver about how God loves us all, except for them Gays, Abortionists, "Secular Humanists", brie-and-cheese eaters, and anyone who doesn't agree with THEM.

An interesting thought, and one that will mean so much, is what will people watching the conjob/rally of thugs think?  

Alfie

- Bush visits "The Eagle", a popular Gay leather bar in Manhattan on a pre-convention trip to NY.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies