Most conservative U.S. counties which voted for Kerry
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:00:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Most conservative U.S. counties which voted for Kerry
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Most conservative U.S. counties which voted for Kerry  (Read 4397 times)
Willy Woz
Yemen

Political Matrix
E: -8.71, S: -5.13

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 18, 2007, 04:45:10 PM »

Based on research I've done, I came up with this:

Randolph, Ark.
Lawrence, Ark.
Macon, Ala.
Clay, Ark.
Issaquena, Mis.
Jefferson, Mis.
East Carroll, Lsa.
Buffalo, SD
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 05:27:46 PM »

Woah, but what standard are we determining "conservative"?

To call Buffalo County "conservative" is going by a very, very weird definition.
Willy Woz
Yemen

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 05:48:12 PM »

To call Buffalo County "conservative" is going by a very, very weird definition.

I mean the most old-fashioned or traditionalist. Conservative counties tend to be religious and built on strong moral values.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 05:53:59 PM »
« Edited: December 18, 2007, 05:57:29 PM by Alcon »

I mean the most old-fashioned or traditionalist. Conservative counties tend to be religious and built on strong moral values.

You way misunderstand Lakota attitudes toward government and religion, then.  Look at the results on the gay marriage ban (it failed Buffalo County badly and was murdered in Shannon County) and the abortion ban (again, failed in Buffalo and slaughtered in Shannon).

They certainly have traditions.  They certainly are religious.  But outside of the conservative Catholic (IIRC) dominated Corson County, where the Indians lean pro-life but are left (by South Dakota standards) on gay rights, I might even dare call the Lakota socially left-leaning.

This is, though, a major simplification of a group with a deep distrust of government.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 05:59:14 PM »

What about some of the counties in northern Iowa. Howard County is a traditional, rural county that voted 55.65% for Kerry. Many of its neighbors have similar demographic profiles and went for Kerry with between 50 and 55%.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 12:26:22 AM »

It is rIt would be really interesting to understand how eople can have such disjointed ideas about religion and government. What do you contend that it is?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 12:46:33 AM »

It is rIt would be really interesting to understand how eople can have such disjointed ideas about religion and government. What do you contend that it is?

I'm not quite sure I'd call the Lakota all that conservative religiously.  There's some conservative Catholics.  But as a voting bloc, they are:

1. Nothing like religiously conservative voters.  They're hardly social leftists, but they lean left on most every issue.  And they have a huge libertarian streak.

2. They do NOT trust the government.  A 2006 referendum to strip judges on their legal protections received 11% of the vote in South Dakota.  In Shannon county, 42%; in Todd County, 41%.

As for economic conservativeness?  Hell no.

It might be simplifying it (Lewis can elaborate on the socio-theo-political stuff more), but the Lakota are kind of anti-government liberals of sorts.  Even on social issues.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 05:43:25 AM »

But outside of the conservative Catholic (IIRC) dominated Corson County

Certainly has a larger Catholic population than the rest of those counties. Any reason for them all having large Anglican populations?
Willy Woz
Yemen

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 09:56:02 AM »

Certainly has a larger Catholic population than the rest of those counties. Any reason for them all having large Anglican populations?

Probably they were all converted at least 100 years ago.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 03:58:25 PM »

They probably had Anglican agents and missionaries appointed back in the day when the US Government felt it had the right to decide which congregation was to civilize which Domestic Dependent Nation.

I'm not quite sure I'd call the Lakota all that conservative religiously.  There's some conservative Catholics.  But as a voting bloc, they are:

1. Nothing like religiously conservative voters.  They're hardly social leftists, but they lean left on most every issue.  And they have a huge libertarian streak.

2. They do NOT trust the government.  A 2006 referendum to strip judges on their legal protections received 11% of the vote in South Dakota.  In Shannon county, 42%; in Todd County, 41%.

As for economic conservativeness?  Hell no.

It might be simplifying it (Lewis can elaborate on the socio-theo-political stuff more), but the Lakota are kind of anti-government liberals of sorts.  Even on social issues.
Can I? I'd wish to but I don't think I can... All I can say is that if I were a Lakota traditionalist, I probably wouldn't trust any BIA and FBI supported government either, whether it be federal, statewide or tribal. Not even one I'd voted for.
Relatively few peyotists among the Dakota as far as I'm aware. The Sundance religion still going pretty strong, and has become sort of tied to the whole AIM etc tradition since the 70s.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 04:44:56 PM »

While we're on the subject... RIP
Willy Woz
Yemen

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2007, 08:29:38 PM »

They probably had Anglican agents and missionaries appointed back in the day when the US Government felt it had the right to decide which congregation was to civilize which Domestic Dependent Nation.

"Back in the day?" Like it's not still going on?

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2007, 07:31:12 AM »

They actually used to forbid congregations from proselytizing on rezs not their own, although I think the Catholics - and the Mormons, who were left out in the cold by the BIA - sometimes ignored the ban.
Willy Woz
Yemen

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2007, 10:40:38 AM »

They actually used to forbid congregations from proselytizing on rezs not their own, although I think the Catholics - and the Mormons, who were left out in the cold by the BIA - sometimes ignored the ban.

My point is that the same thing's still going on in Iraq.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2007, 01:17:55 PM »

My point is that the same thing's still going on in Iraq.
I don't think Iraq counts as a Domestic Dependent Nation. Dependent certainly, nation hardly, domestic surely not.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2007, 05:34:30 PM »

how on earth do you quantify this?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2007, 01:51:46 AM »

how on earth do you quantify this?

He doesn't.  Willy seems to enjoy statistics, to the point where he makes up supporting evidence just to have them.

Which is kind of fun to think about and discuss, but for some reason, he then implies he has some sort of supporting evidence, and lies if he doesn't.

Which sucks, because the stuff he's fantasy-measuring is oftentimes quite interesting.
Willy Woz
Yemen

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2007, 09:34:35 PM »

he then implies he has some sort of supporting evidence, and lies if he doesn't.

[/quote]

Ummm...actually I got that info from a CNN poll.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies