UK Opinion Polls Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:04:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK Opinion Polls Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 23
Author Topic: UK Opinion Polls Thread  (Read 68833 times)
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: August 03, 2008, 07:54:33 PM »

I guess I can add the other poll here.

Angus - Reid says...

Funny how both polls have it at a sixteen point lead.

After checking, it's a Populus poll.
afleitch
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2008, 01:31:56 PM »

Ipsos Mori show Tories breaking 50%

CON: 52%
LAB: 24%
LIB: 15%

'Tis a silly poll but...

Seat forecast on a uniform swing

CON 488
LAB 121
LIB 13

CON MAJ 326
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #77 on: September 17, 2008, 01:35:20 PM »

This is going to be one hilarious election (whenever it happens).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #78 on: September 17, 2008, 01:50:38 PM »

'Tis a silly poll but...

CON 488
LAB 121
LIB 13

CON MAJ 326

Desperate Spinner: our vote is holding up! This is the first Mori poll in months that it's not fallen further off a cliff! Recovery!!!!!

A Different Desperate Spinner: 121 seats is a whole 69 more than we managed in 1931; and boundaries then were more favourable to us than they are now!!!!

But, seriously...

I heard that the LibDem figure was actually 12%. Not that it matters; this isn't a poll done to measure public opinion so much as it is to change the opinions (in a newsworthy direction, whatever that is) of a small group of people next week or so. I know, I know, I'm a dreadful (to paranoid) cynic about that sort of thing, but this time the chances of me being wrong are rather small. Especially given the source, so to speak. I guess we'll see more polls like this over the next few days, but hopefully not quite so comical.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #79 on: September 17, 2008, 02:01:29 PM »

'Tis a silly poll but...

CON 488
LAB 121
LIB 13

CON MAJ 326

Desperate Spinner: our vote is holding up! This is the first Mori poll in months that it's not fallen further off a cliff! Recovery!!!!!

A Different Desperate Spinner: 121 seats is a whole 69 more than we managed in 1931; and boundaries then were more favourable to us than they are now!!!!

But, seriously...

I heard that the LibDem figure was actually 12%. Not that it matters; this isn't a poll done to measure public opinion so much as it is to change the opinions (in a newsworthy direction, whatever that is) of a small group of people next week or so. I know, I know, I'm a dreadful (to paranoid) cynic about that sort of thing, but this time the chances of me being wrong are rather small. Especially given the source, so to speak. I guess we'll see more polls like this over the next few days, but hopefully not quite so comical.

It's all good fun. It has the Tories winning Glasgow North for example. I think it's as wrong as the 50%+ Labour got in polls in '95-'96.

However...

I think it points to movement towards the Conservatives that should see it form the next government. It is also pointing towards Mr Cameron being given a landslide (at around the same time the economy picks up which we will, of course take the credit for even if we had nothing to do with it as all governments do Smiley ). This will probably be enough to secure Mr Cameron two terms.

I'm a bit like Pym when it comes to landslides, but I can't deny one would be nice to experience.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #80 on: September 17, 2008, 02:22:40 PM »

Speaking of which we are doing some 'testing of the waters' in Lanark and Hamilton East. We are a little hopeful of coming from 4th to 2nd here.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #81 on: September 17, 2008, 02:30:50 PM »

Speaking of which we are doing some 'testing of the waters' in Lanark and Hamilton East. We are a little hopeful of coming from 4th to 2nd here.
With the SNP first?
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #82 on: September 17, 2008, 02:47:45 PM »

With the SNP first?

We don't tend to think about the other parties Tongue I think we can come in 3rd myself and that's about it.

I think the SNP can overhaul double digit Labour majorities in a host of seats from Edinburgh East to Livingston. However it is very difficult to predict. Seats like Stirling are particularly tricky. If SNP popularity takes a slide and Labour remain low then it makes everything interesting. I would expect an unhealthy number of 3 or even 4 way marginals.

While I don't expect them to outpoll Gordon Brown in his seat I would bet a few pennies on it anyway. Alistair Darling is probably the biggest scalp, if the Tories can benefit in Edinburgh SW
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #83 on: September 17, 2008, 02:55:34 PM »

Such a shame that Cameron gets to be Prime Minister.  Sad

I'm always asking this question...What's the word on an election being called? Is 2009 out of the question?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #84 on: September 17, 2008, 03:00:13 PM »

I'm always asking this question...What's the word on an election being called? Is 2009 out of the question?

you don't like Cameron?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #85 on: September 17, 2008, 03:02:33 PM »

you don't like Cameron?

No. The man comes across as, and apparently is, a total phoney. I've never been a fan.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #86 on: September 17, 2008, 03:05:02 PM »
« Edited: September 17, 2008, 03:44:38 PM by Franzl »

you don't like Cameron?

No. The man comes across as, and apparently is, a total phoney. I've never been a fan.

shame actually...I thought we might find something to agree on politically.

I do like him. Smiley

But regardless who the leader is, I'd vote Conservative in Britain right now.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #87 on: September 17, 2008, 03:07:36 PM »

Yes and No. It handily combines it with the Euros Grin

However I (hack hat on) believe Brown has every intention of bringing the party down with him. He will hang on until the last possible moment in 2010.

Going in 2009 I think is better for him TBH. It is anticipated that mid 2010 will see an uptick in the economy and the 'mini-boom' that will bring. With the Tories in the door they will simply claim credit for it or be associated with it at the very least. Always remember that the Tories got a drubbing in 1997 after 3 years of solid growth on the part above the Eurozone average. We may end up with a Tory landslide, but it will provide them with a years worth of a shaky economy and all the problems that may entail if the recovery is not as strong as is hoped.

If they go into the election whenever it is, if they privately prepare for defeat (unlike the Tories in '97) they will be all the better for it.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #88 on: September 17, 2008, 03:38:51 PM »

you don't like Cameron?

Yeah. Kind of figured he's not your type of Tory. Smiley
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #89 on: September 17, 2008, 04:26:16 PM »

It has the Tories winning Glasgow North for example.

Now that is rather amusing Smiley

However...
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Meh. I won't criticise thee for fantasising this time Grin

Though I'll say that you're always better off being happy with what you have now than looking for better and better news in the years to come (an interesting flaw in modern society is the latter trait). Best way to avoid disillusionment really.

(fwiw I still expect a Tory majority of between 40 and 60 at the next election. Though I'm not stubborn enough to avoid lowering or raising that if the facts do change. I'll also stick my neck out and say that the swing (whatever it is) will be highest in suburban areas, especially post 1970's ones and especially ones with a lot of growth in the past decade).
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #90 on: September 19, 2008, 02:27:11 AM »

Why do I suspect that this election is never going to happen while the Tories are polling ahead by such large margins. Tongue
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #91 on: September 19, 2008, 02:39:40 AM »

Although I had a feeling that David Cameron was going to wipe the floor with Gordon Brown in the upcoming poll regarding next year's general election, I didn't expect Cameron to break the near invincible glass ceiling in UK political polls of 50 percent. It took myself by surprise, even my Global Economics teacher as I stated Holy S**t upon learning Cameron's achievement and learning that Gordon Brown has a worse popularity rating than George W. Bush.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #92 on: September 19, 2008, 06:53:23 AM »

Guys, it's one poll in 2008. This election could be in two years time.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #93 on: September 19, 2008, 07:02:21 AM »

Guys, it's one poll in 2008. This election could be in two years time.

True. But the Tories have maintained a 10% then a 15-20+% lead in the polls for some months now. The Tories target is a 42% vote share. They may exceed that but they won't get over a 50% share. To do so, and to heap up a majority of 200-300 would be dangerous for the British democractic process.

I will accept a Tory landslide that is enough to keep them in power for 2 or 3 terms. But I don't want a 1931 style rout.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #94 on: September 19, 2008, 09:37:50 AM »

I will accept a Tory landslide that is enough to keep them in power for 2 or 3 terms. But I don't want a 1931 style rout.

A super majority is not a good thing...

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #95 on: September 19, 2008, 11:30:39 AM »

Elections like 1931 are only possible in an atmosphere of mass panic.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #96 on: January 22, 2009, 04:39:56 PM »

Speaking of panic and showing what a moveable lot the voters are.

Probably best for an update. The Tories began to dive in September falling below 40% in one ComRes poll in October and sinking below 40% 'for real' in mid December. Labour soared above 30% to hit 35-36 in mid December with a Tory lead of a few %

But 2009 has painted a different picture so far with leads of 10, 9, 13 and 14, putting the Tories back to pre conference levels, but not near the inflated summer lead.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #97 on: January 22, 2009, 04:52:18 PM »

Which makes the likelihood of such situation....

Well, I'd put the odds at decently high.  Much higher than you might think.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #98 on: January 22, 2009, 05:06:23 PM »

I actually agree with that statement. Even if Brown waits until 'last moment 2010' and the economy is spluttering to life again, what is behind him may haunt him. This recession may break all sorts of post war 'records' - economic contraction, bailouts, bankruptcies and even break Thatcher's unemployment record. What will the government have going for it?

I doubt Labour will fall below 150 seats or anthing calamatous, but a 1997 style rout is a possibility. It will be interesting to see the strength of the SNP at national level and what that could translate to. On that note I'd still put a flutter on Brown loosing his seat.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #99 on: January 22, 2009, 05:10:16 PM »

I actually agree with that statement. Even if Brown waits until 'last moment 2010' and the economy is spluttering to life again, what is behind him may haunt him. This recession may break all sorts of post war 'records' - economic contraction, bailouts, bankruptcies and even break Thatcher's unemployment record. What will the government have going for it?

I doubt Labour will fall below 150 seats or anthing calamatous, but a 1997 style rout is a possibility. It will be interesting to see the strength of the SNP at national level and what that could translate to. On that note I'd still put a flutter on Brown loosing his seat.

Well, with what Britain's doing right now in terms of economic policies, there's about 100 times more likely chance of serious currency devaluation or outright debt default before the election than any attempt of an economic recovery.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies