UK Opinion Polls Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:23:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK Opinion Polls Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UK Opinion Polls Thread  (Read 69157 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« on: January 22, 2009, 04:52:18 PM »

Elections like 1931 are only possible in an atmosphere of mass panic.

Which makes the likelihood of such situation....

Well, I'd put the odds at decently high.  Much higher than you might think.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 05:10:16 PM »

Elections like 1931 are only possible in an atmosphere of mass panic.

Which makes the likelihood of such situation....

Well, I'd put the odds at decently high.  Much higher than you might think.

I actually agree with that statement. Even if Brown waits until 'last moment 2010' and the economy is spluttering to life again, what is behind him may haunt him. This recession may break all sorts of post war 'records' - economic contraction, bailouts, bankruptcies and even break Thatcher's unemployment record. What will the government have going for it?

I doubt Labour will fall below 150 seats or anthing calamatous, but a 1997 style rout is a possibility. It will be interesting to see the strength of the SNP at national level and what that could translate to. On that note I'd still put a flutter on Brown loosing his seat.

Well, with what Britain's doing right now in terms of economic policies, there's about 100 times more likely chance of serious currency devaluation or outright debt default before the election than any attempt of an economic recovery.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 06:46:25 PM »

SamSpade, why not do a megathread covering your opinions on how the world in general is likely to handle the recession? I may not know enough to comment alot but I'd read it.

I don't really have the time, except to make passing comments.

As to how the world is likely to handle the depression (and I say depression because that's what it will be in the near future):  Probably badly and with the wrong economic plans.  Heck, with a couple of minor exceptions, the crisis up to this point has been handled horribly worldwide, so why should we expect any changes.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 09:51:11 AM »

Anyone who approves of Gordon Brown at this point in the game needs to have his/her head examined.  Might be above Bush/Carter levels of incompetency.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies