North Carolina
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 08:31:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  North Carolina
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: North Carolina  (Read 2390 times)
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 23, 2007, 09:20:44 PM »

Is North Carolina a toss-up state this election? I believe it is, but what do you think?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 09:27:39 PM »

Unless Edwards gets himself nominated, I don't think it will be.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 09:47:53 PM »

Is North Carolina a toss-up state this election? I believe it is, but what do you think?

Wait eight years. North Carolina's around four years behind Virginia in terms of partisan trending towards Democrats. I expect Democrats to either carry or come extremely close in Virginia in 2008. My best guess is that North Carolina will be a toss-up in 2016, or, perhaps, as early as 2012.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 10:01:43 PM »

Dems can win it, even without Edwards, but would likely need to win by 5% nationally to do so.  With that being said, the state is trending Democrat, especially due to the migration of many New Yorkers down there.  It will be in the true tossup category (by that I mean very close in relation to the national average) by 2012 or 2016.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 11:00:31 PM »

i think the Dems will only win NC if the Republicans crater. However, whoever the dem nominee is will do better than Kerry did.
SamInTheSouth

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2007, 11:31:28 PM »

North Carolina is not a red state like everyone thinks.  It is heavily Democratic.  The Democrats control the State Senate with a 12 seat majority and handily control the State House as well.  They have also held the governor's seat for 20 years.  The Democrats there are much more conservative than your national party, however.  That is the reason they have such large majorities in the state and local level, but when it comes to national elections like Senate and President the state tends to go Republican.

Having said that, I don't think NC is in play next year.  It will likely go Republican, but as more yankees move down there and bring their more left wing politics with them the state will eventually become a swing state not too far down the road.
Willy Woz
Yemen

Political Matrix
E: -8.71, S: -5.13

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 01:09:06 AM »

North Carolina is not a red state like everyone thinks.  It is heavily Democratic.  The Democrats control the State Senate with a 12 seat majority and handily control the State House as well.  They have also held the governor's seat for 20 years.  The Democrats there are much more conservative than your national party, however.  That is the reason they have such large majorities in the state and local level, but when it comes to national elections like Senate and President the state tends to go Republican.

Having said that, I don't think NC is in play next year.  It will likely go Republican, but as more yankees move down there and bring their more left wing politics with them the state will eventually become a swing state not too far down the road.

Yes, it is trending more democrat.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2007, 01:10:03 AM »

I think it will be lean GOP this year.  Probably 2-5% more GOP than the nationwide popular vote depending on the candidates.  It could potentially be a swing state in 2012 and an important one too since its possible that it will only be 3 EVs shy of Ohio after the 2010 Census.
tarheel-leftist85
krustytheklown
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2007, 02:43:05 AM »

yes:  odds of candidate winning (predicted share of vote) are below
HRC-65% (50-52%)
Obama-70% (51-53%)
JRE-95% (53-55%)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2007, 04:48:57 AM »

No, its not a tossup, and I can't believe anyone would think Obama could win it.  But I agree it is trending Democrat, though not four years behind Virginia.. more like at eight.

However, I do think it will be very close in 08 due more to dislike of Gulianai or Mormon than anything else.   Those two are just awful candidates for the peripheral South.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2007, 09:39:20 AM »

I don't think Edwards would have much success at all in his home state. He's not a career North Carolina politician - he's merely served one term in the revolving door Senate seat, and arguably didn't run for a second term because he wasn't going to win. I never got the sense the state has much affection for him across party lines. I also believe home state advantage doesn't come into play as much if one hasn't served the state recently and if one was a Senator in the first place. Al Gore stopped representing Tennessee in 1992 and was never its Governor - of course he wasn't going to overcome the political differences with the state that had developed by 2000.

He'll probably do five points better than Kerry did in 2004 due to the political environment and not being John Kerry.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2007, 10:07:24 AM »

Without Edwards, it is lean Republican.  With Edwards, then I would call it a tossup.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2007, 11:06:14 PM »

All these people who say it will be closer with Edwards are smoking something.  I travel to NC every year for at least a month and my Aunt, Uncle, Grandparents, and all of their friends and neighbors say that they themselves as well as everyone they know hate him.  Even my aunt, a hardcore Dem who immigrated there from MD hates him because they feel his run in 2004 left them in the lurch.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2007, 01:46:21 AM »

All these people who say it will be closer with Edwards are smoking something.  I travel to NC every year for at least a month and my Aunt, Uncle, Grandparents, and all of their friends and neighbors say that they themselves as well as everyone they know hate him.  Even my aunt, a hardcore Dem who immigrated there from MD hates him because they feel his run in 2004 left them in the lurch.

You can't judge an entire state by what your family thinks.
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.61, S: 0.65

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2007, 03:00:29 AM »

Since Edwards at this point is unlikely to be on the ticket, the Republican will win 53%. I have to admit though the Research Triangle, and Charlotte are fast growing and moving Democratic for now.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2007, 03:26:03 AM »

Tell that to everyone on the forum. Tongue
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2007, 06:44:51 PM »

yes just like oklahoma
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2007, 06:47:00 PM »

yes just like oklahoma

I never said OK was a toss-up state.  North Carolina is going to swing toward the Democrats this election. 
Kushahontas
floating_to_sea
Kenya

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2007, 07:07:53 PM »

there's a HUGE difference between mid 50's in an incumbent year and low 60's.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2007, 07:15:26 PM »

In a Clinton v. Giuliani matchup

Giuliani: 55%
Clinton: 44%
Others: 1%
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2007, 07:24:43 PM »

Why would Giuliani do that good in NC? He is a republican with Libertarian leanings. Clinton on the other hand is a Democrat with poplist leanings. NC is a populist state.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2007, 08:41:37 PM »

Why would Giuliani do that good in NC? He is a republican with Libertarian leanings.

Giuliani who?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2007, 01:27:48 AM »

i have lots of family and i grew up in NC as well, and  I can also say he would not have won reelection in 2004 if he had run. he won that seat by a small margin and was hardly ever in the senate during his tenure there. if he were the nominee, it wouldn't matter in NC. he wouldn't get a bounce much at all.

The urban areas are trending more Democratic. In 2004, i think mecklenberg went to the dems for the first time in recent memory, as well as Gilford county. The triangle has always been heavily democratic. I could see a Democrat win 45-46% in NC, but it wont be a tossup.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2007, 01:29:24 AM »

Why would Giuliani do that good in NC? He is a republican with Libertarian leanings. Clinton on the other hand is a Democrat with poplist leanings. NC is a populist state.

There is nothing remotely libertarian about Giuliani, who is basically an out and out fascist.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2007, 09:27:31 AM »

Tell that to everyone on the forum. Tongue

I'm not judging the whole state by what my family thinks, they are just an example of how everyone I've talked to there thinks.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies