Australia General Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:17:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Australia General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 96
Author Topic: Australia General Discussion  (Read 249701 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2007, 12:42:24 AM »

I'm really really surprised - I think it's a combination of anti-Turnbull and feeding Nelson to the wolves kinda thing.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2007, 12:54:03 AM »

I think you're right, but I also think a large amount of Nelson's support is a pro-Howard thing-those who were locked-on Howard supporters seem to have gone significantly to Nelson.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2007, 02:51:21 AM »

They will probably lose in 2010, and then Turnbull might get a chance for 2013.

I concur with the statements of Hugh. But when will Abbott or Turnbull challenge Nelson for the leadership? Six months? 2 years? Who knows.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2007, 03:02:43 AM »

After 2010.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2007, 05:05:38 AM »

Yesterday Kevin Rudd announced his Cabinet. I thought the Rudd Cabinet would have been a good one, considering he would be selecting it. I have been proven wrong.

He has kept Peter Garrett as Environment Minister, made Julia Gillard take on the responsibilities of being Education Minister as well as the important Industrial Relations portfolio and the worse mistake he made was selecting Stephen Smith to be the Foreign Minister. You think the new Opposition Leader and former Defence Minister was weak and ineffective wait until you see him in action. Brendon Nelson eat your heart out.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2007, 04:15:54 AM »

Kevin Michael Rudd and his Cabinet will be officially sworn in as the new Government of Australia tomorrow, by the Governor-General Michael Jeffrey. It will be one day shy of the first anniversary of Kevin Rudd taking control of the Federal ALP, after he defeated Kim Beazley for the Leadership 49-39.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2007, 04:00:38 AM »

Even though Kevin Rudd has only been Prime Minister of Australia for one day, he is thumping Opposition Leader Brendan Nelson in the polls. Nelson's opponent for the Liberal leadership, Malcolm Turnbull is also thumping Nelson too, with voters saying he's twice as popular than Nelson. Here's the results, from the Australian Poll conducted on the weekend.

Prefered Prime Minister:
Kevin Rudd (ALP)          61%
Brendan Nelson (LIB)   14%

Who should lead the Liberal Party?
Malcolm Turnbull        34%
Brendan Nelson         18%

Some interesting times lie ahead for the leadership of Brendan Nelson. 
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2007, 11:08:14 AM »

so, two weeks of the Rudd government. Opinions?
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2008, 02:46:08 PM »

EL BUMPO
Iosif is a COTHO
Mango
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: -5.04

« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2008, 10:00:01 AM »

Time to reserrect this thread:

Here's an article in The Australian on The Nationals.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

1. How long till the Nationals lose their last seat? Or will they survive?

2. How long does Brendan Nelson have left as Liberal leader?
Iosif is a COTHO
Mango
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2008, 10:03:59 AM »

Graphic with the article:

Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2008, 10:13:54 AM »

Not surprising at all. The Nationals are doomed by political tides even if not demographic ones; whenever a Nationals MP retires, the Liberals often put up a candidate as well, and more often than not the Liberals take the seat. There's little loyalty to the Nationals as a party over the Liberals.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2008, 09:05:41 AM »

The Nationals will survive in one form or another. Once the Liberals return to being a liberal-democratic conservative party (this is Australia...), then the Nationals will still find a large number of voters backing their agrarian populism. I can't see Mallee going Liberal under Howard, certainly not under Nelson and definately not under Turnbull.

Maybe a more defined right wing, but not a swallowing of the nationals by the Liberals.

As to Nelson's leadership, he'll stay for a while yet. I'd give him until at least next year, probably the next election.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2008, 09:11:21 AM »

Worth pointing out that the demographic changes that cost them Dawson are rather different to the demographic changes that killed them in the touristy parts of Queensland and which are continuing to kill them in coastal NSW. Would also question the inclusion of Capricornia on the list; historically that's a Labor seat. The concern for the Nationals isn't that they can't hold seats gained in Coalition landslides, but that they can't even hold onto their old fiefdoms half the time.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2008, 09:49:13 AM »

Worth pointing out that the demographic changes that cost them Dawson are rather different to the demographic changes that killed them in the touristy parts of Queensland and which are continuing to kill them in coastal NSW. Would also question the inclusion of Capricornia on the list; historically that's a Labor seat. The concern for the Nationals isn't that they can't hold seats gained in Coalition landslides, but that they can't even hold onto their NSW fiefdoms half the time.

More realistic, I think.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2008, 10:15:01 AM »

Worth pointing out that the demographic changes that cost them Dawson are rather different to the demographic changes that killed them in the touristy parts of Queensland and which are continuing to kill them in coastal NSW. Would also question the inclusion of Capricornia on the list; historically that's a Labor seat. The concern for the Nationals isn't that they can't hold seats gained in Coalition landslides, but that they can't even hold onto their NSW fiefdoms half the time.

More realistic, I think.

But Hyperbole Is Fun And Murray* is in Victoria**

*lost over a decade ago though and nothing else has gone since, so yeah, the bleeding there seems to have stopped.
**"The Works Are Closed But The Ballot Box Is Open" (I think it was ballot box, may have been polling station or just polls. Can't remember), on Labour posters in 1929. This, everyone, is how deeply sad I am.
Iosif is a COTHO
Mango
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2008, 04:53:42 AM »

There's almost certain to be by-elections some time in the next few months in Higgins, Mayo, Lyne and Gippsland. In 2007, they all were won by margins of 11-17 points in 2PP, but with Rudd's honeymoon being what it is, the Coalition could lose all four of them. If that happened the House composition would be Labor 87, Liberal 53, Nationals 8.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2008, 11:29:36 AM »

I don't know much about Lyne, but of the other three:

Higgins:

Almost instantly dismissable. That said, there was the Ryan by-election, but that was against an unpopular government rather than in favour of a popular one. I'd say it's pretty safe for the Liberals.

Mayo:

Liberal. Possibly with a greatly reduced margin, but they should hold this. It's wheatbelt, german belt south australia; not happy hunting grounds for Labor pre-Rudd and not now either.

Gippsland:

The one to watch. The farmers will go overwhelmingly for the Nationals, especially those in the highlands, who still hate the ALP; but the major centers should go Labor, especially in the LaTrobe Valley. Expect ALP majorities in Traralgon and Morwell, with the Nats winning all the farms south of the valley. Bairnsdale and Sale should be interesting; Sale will probably go slightly towards the National (but it could be tight) and Bairnsdale (and the Lakes area in general) should lean quite a bit to the National although without a McGauran that might change towards the ALP. The result will hinge on the loggers and to some extent the far eastern towns on the coast, both of which would need to go to the Nationals with 55%+ to give them a win. Nationals ahead but could be won by the ALP if KRudd stays popular.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2008, 11:36:20 AM »

Lyne is solid Nats country.

Higgins will be much closer than with Costello running in November, I think all should slightly favour the incumbent party - but Higgins is the one that has the best chance of changing hands. But there will be significantly reduced margins.

On Nelson, at present Rudd's honeymoon remains strong and Turnbull is not stupid. He's hoping that Nelson is weak enough by the end of the sitting year - but also that Rudd's gloss has worn off.

It's all about the timing.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2008, 03:30:56 AM »
« Edited: March 17, 2008, 03:33:58 AM by Rockefeller Republican »

I wouldn't be surprised if Rudd's gloss begins to wear off when his Government releases their first budget when Parliament resumes. However I highly doubt it. Even if the Budget is perceived as a bad one by some, the ALP will still have a commanding lead in the polls over the lackluster Liberals. This is reminding me of 1994 all over again (even though I was only 1). Hehe.

Iosif is a COTHO
Mango
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2008, 08:58:35 AM »
« Edited: March 17, 2008, 09:00:11 AM by Mango »

New Newspoll (brackets compared with poll from fortnight ago)

if election were held today:

Labor: 47 (-4)
Coalition: 35 (+4)
Greens: 11 (+1)

2PP: Labor 59 (-4), Coalition 41 (+4)

Preferred PM:

Rudd: 70 (-3)
Nelson: 10 (+3)

7% of Labor voters said they'd be more likely to vote for a merged Liberal/National party, 4% of Liberal voters said they'd be less likely to vote for it.

Poll MoE: 3%

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23393201-2702,00.html

Honeymoon starting to wear off? I guess they could hardly keep those numbers up.

polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2008, 11:49:33 AM »

Yay for Nelson! Into double-digits.

This is still an amazing honeymoon.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2008, 03:19:31 PM »

Did I just hear correctly? That's politically incorrect!

I wonder why the Coalition's support has gone up 4 points. Now it wouldn't just be about Rudd's plans to remove funds to carers and not leaving them in the lurch. I can't think of anything that the Libs have done right since the last poll.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2008, 09:30:12 PM »

Did I just hear correctly? That's politically incorrect!

I wonder why the Coalition's support has gone up 4 points. Now it wouldn't just be about Rudd's plans to remove funds to carers and not leaving them in the lurch. I can't think of anything that the Libs have done right since the last poll.

or sarcasm... take it as you will

A 63-37 split is utterly anormal, chances are many were angry with Nelson that day - hence both the 7% and that monstrous deficit. The 59-41 is likely more close to reality.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2008, 07:10:16 AM »

I never understand why they do polls so little time after the election of a majority government.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 96  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies