Australia General Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:11:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Australia General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 96
Author Topic: Australia General Discussion  (Read 249700 times)
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #475 on: August 18, 2012, 09:05:04 PM »

It's more that Australian Labor is basically left-in-that-it-isn't-as-right-wing-as-the-liberals.

I highly doubt anyone will replace Gillard before the next election, and if it were to be anyone it would need to be an old face like Crean.

Post election, Shorten is a possibility, although I wouldn't be surprised if they put up a bit of an unknown, and allowed them to build a brand new identity as Labor leader, untainted by the Gillard government. If they're at 60-65 seats post election, which seems about likely, someone along the lines of Andrew Laming, Jason Clare, at a stretch Mark Dreyfus.

Dude, Laming's a Liberal.

I meant Andrew Leigh, oops.
Yaayy!  I'm a big fan of his.  A true unabashed social democrat who isn't a slave to either faction.  Hope he becomes Labor leader and fixes up the party (both structurally and ideologically) and becomes PM. 

Very smart man too - he's basically the Antony Green/Nate Silver/etc. of parliament.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #476 on: August 18, 2012, 09:21:06 PM »

It's more that Australian Labor is basically left-in-that-it-isn't-as-right-wing-as-the-liberals.

I highly doubt anyone will replace Gillard before the next election, and if it were to be anyone it would need to be an old face like Crean.

Post election, Shorten is a possibility, although I wouldn't be surprised if they put up a bit of an unknown, and allowed them to build a brand new identity as Labor leader, untainted by the Gillard government. If they're at 60-65 seats post election, which seems about likely, someone along the lines of Andrew Laming, Jason Clare, at a stretch Mark Dreyfus.

Yaayy!  I'm a big fan of his.  A true unabashed social democrat who isn't a slave to either faction.  Hope he becomes Labor leader and fixes up the party (both structurally and ideologically) and becomes PM. 

Very smart man too - he's basically the Antony Green/Nate Silver/etc. of parliament.

If that's the case, guys like that have no business running the show, just pulling the strings come election time. Like a Peter Mandelson or a David Axelrod. They're just more effective that way.
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #477 on: August 19, 2012, 12:07:34 AM »

If that's the case, guys like that have no business running the show, just pulling the strings come election time. Like a Peter Mandelson or a David Axelrod. They're just more effective that way.
Well, he's also very charismatic.  I suppose you could say he's both a head and a heart as well.  I'm guessing he's seen as far more ideologically in line with the Left faction than with the right?
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #478 on: August 28, 2012, 08:52:27 PM »

Post election, Shorten is a possibility, although I wouldn't be surprised if they put up a bit of an unknown, and allowed them to build a brand new identity as Labor leader, untainted by the Gillard government.

Shorten has obviously had a few gaffes of late - eating humble pie, and not knowing what he supports, but I didn't think either were enough to stop him from becoming Leader. However... after yesterday's gaffe, I don't think he can ever become leader.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
(Source)

For our international readers, Newstart allowance is the government/brand name for unemployment welfare payments. Specifically, here is Minister Shorten's quote from the same article:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #479 on: August 28, 2012, 09:20:54 PM »

You were right about the "next Latham" thing Smid. Now all we need is him getting physical or profane on camera.
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #480 on: September 03, 2012, 03:39:34 PM »

Post election, Shorten is a possibility, although I wouldn't be surprised if they put up a bit of an unknown, and allowed them to build a brand new identity as Labor leader, untainted by the Gillard government.

Shorten has obviously had a few gaffes of late - eating humble pie, and not knowing what he supports, but I didn't think either were enough to stop him from becoming Leader. However... after yesterday's gaffe, I don't think he can ever become leader.
THANK GOD! 
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #481 on: September 04, 2012, 04:41:36 PM »

We'll see if caucus shares our view of Shorten. They already had one Latham and don't need another. However as a Coalition fan I sure hope they pick him- it would be an increased majority in Abbott's second term.
Knives
solopop
« Reply #482 on: September 29, 2012, 11:28:41 AM »

If Gillard loses the election in 2016 Roxon will be Labor leader.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #483 on: September 29, 2012, 08:31:04 PM »

Alan Jones trolls Gillard.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/latest/a/-/latest/14996717/gillards-father-died-of-shame-alan-jones/
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #484 on: September 29, 2012, 08:41:09 PM »

It was absolutely disgusting...
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #485 on: September 30, 2012, 08:54:34 AM »

Highly improbable, and from a personal viewpoint, highly undesirable.

------

Re: Jones. Not a surprise he's a tosser, just a surprise the media have decided to make a scandal out of this. Why not any of the last 327 disgusting things he's said in the last few years?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #486 on: September 30, 2012, 10:34:17 AM »

Trust me anyone who has to deal with her personally will not want that...
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #487 on: October 01, 2012, 07:23:36 AM »

Highly improbable, and from a personal viewpoint, highly undesirable.

------

Re: Jones. Not a surprise he's a tosser, just a surprise the media have decided to make a scandal out of this. Why not any of the last 327 disgusting things he's said in the last few years?
Well it's about time they did....
Knives
solopop
« Reply #488 on: October 01, 2012, 10:25:01 PM »

Trust me anyone who has to deal with her personally will not want that...

Really, people I know who've worked with her quite like her.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #489 on: October 06, 2012, 04:14:03 PM »

Slipper claims conspiracy?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/australia/9589923/Australian-parliament-speaker-Peter-Slipper-claims-political-conspiracy.html
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #490 on: October 06, 2012, 04:20:37 PM »

So, I don't follow Australian politics much, so forgive my ignorance, but...has there been a swing towards the ALP recently?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #491 on: October 06, 2012, 04:31:06 PM »

A few weeks ago there was a 50-50 poll but no polls have been published since then. Abbott's still favoured but he can't get complacent.
Knives
solopop
« Reply #492 on: October 08, 2012, 06:06:30 AM »

Abbott's not favored Gillard's smashing him in who's a better leader and more likeable.

And 2 Party polling shows Labor and Liberals tied, so Labor support is growing.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #493 on: October 08, 2012, 06:33:10 AM »

The state of it is basically this: Nobody likes the government, but when they have to choose between a labor government or a Tony Abbott Prime Ministership, they're splitting down the middle.

The question is, who is more likely to make themselves more attractive: Labor as a whole, or Abbott?
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #494 on: October 09, 2012, 04:13:30 AM »

Slipper resigns
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #495 on: October 09, 2012, 04:42:04 AM »

Embarrassingly, given his lewd text messages, the Prime Minister and Attorney-General who believe that Tony Abbott has a problem with women, somewhat hypocritically supported him to remain as Speaker today.

I won't copy any of his texts here, but a google search of "peter slipper salty" will turn up results for anyone who wants to assess for themselves the content of his messages.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #496 on: October 09, 2012, 05:15:57 AM »

I've never seen my facebook wall so full of blind people. The left are completely ignoring the texts but all posting about Gillard's absolutely stunning parliamentary performance, the right are all ignoring the fact that Abbott got reamed in parliament and focussing on what a horrible, horrible man Slipper is.

So even though the guy Gillard was indirectly supporting is filth of the kind that the left hates, and even though Slipper represented the coalition for something like 20 years, everyone got what they wanted from today.

As for me... as much as I hate Abbott and was pretty much cheering on the PM word for word, I think the resignation makes the day a slight win for the opposition.

...although probably more accurately, everyone lost except the hacks.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #497 on: October 09, 2012, 05:17:46 AM »

Gillard in parliament, btw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihd7ofrwQX0

Worth a watch.
Knives
solopop
« Reply #498 on: October 09, 2012, 03:38:11 PM »

It's worth noting that the Coalition has preselected Slipper since 1983...
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #499 on: October 09, 2012, 03:41:39 PM »

I'm with hugh. The perv Slipper is a Coalitionist who was selected by Lab as Speaker. No one will get a spin edge here except in the minds of Oz's Politicos and Mondales.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 96  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies