Australia General Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:04:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Australia General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 96
Author Topic: Australia General Discussion  (Read 249639 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #975 on: September 16, 2013, 11:35:46 PM »

Gotta love those meaningless 'gestures' - reduction from First to Business probably lowers the cost from about $10k to $8k... it's good for the cheap seats through - hence their victory.

And Bishop will NEVER be leader ... if it was about merit and effectiveness - why isn't Kelly O'Dwyer at least a Parli Sec? You're telling me there wasn't ANY female talent in the junior pool worthy of elevation to Cabinet? Give me a break.

Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #976 on: September 17, 2013, 07:21:26 AM »
« Edited: September 17, 2013, 09:11:10 AM by Anton Kreitzer »

Gotta love those meaningless 'gestures' - reduction from First to Business probably lowers the cost from about $10k to $8k... it's good for the cheap seats through - hence their victory.

And Bishop will NEVER be leader ... if it was about merit and effectiveness - why isn't Kelly O'Dwyer at least a Parli Sec? You're telling me there wasn't ANY female talent in the junior pool worthy of elevation to Cabinet? Give me a break.

I was surprised O'Dwyer wasn't promoted, she ought to be, it was probably more about her faction (O'Dwyer being a wet, and this is coming from a dry) than her gender. While I do approve the cut from First to Business Class, they should have gone one step further to Economy Class.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #977 on: September 17, 2013, 05:19:03 PM »

Victorian Labor back in front with Newspoll.

41 (-2) - 38 (+3) - 13 (+1) to the Coalition, making for 51-49 to the ALP on 2PP.

Napthine approval - 53 (nc)/31 (+5)
Andrews approval - 38 (+3)/32 (-2)

Preferred Premier 47/25 to Napthine (-2/-1).
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #978 on: September 17, 2013, 07:45:07 PM »

Tony Abbott is now Australia's 28th Prime Minister. Cool Rest of the Cabinet will be sworn in starting about 15 min from now, and Mirabella has just conceded.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #979 on: September 17, 2013, 08:31:58 PM »

Tony Abbott is now Australia's 28th Prime Minister. Cool Rest of the Cabinet will be sworn in starting about 15 min from now, and Mirabella has just conceded.

One nugget of good news in that pile.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #980 on: September 17, 2013, 09:11:02 PM »

Abbott didn't choose Julie Bishop as his deputy, she was the deputy under Turnbull and when the Turnbull coup happened it was agreed that she would hold the deputy's position unchallenged to placate the Western Australians, who were sick of all the leader options being from the suburbs of Sydney.

Abbott-Turnbull-Nelson-Howard all having essentially neighbouring seats is not unnoticed within the party. Add in Hockey and the trend is even clearer - Bennelong, North Sydney, Bradfield, Warringah, Wentworth.

All we need now is for Labor to go with Albanese and Plibersek and Sydney's dominance will be absolute Tongue
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #981 on: September 17, 2013, 09:21:04 PM »

Abbott didn't choose Julie Bishop as his deputy, she was the deputy under Turnbull and when the Turnbull coup happened it was agreed that she would hold the deputy's position unchallenged to placate the Western Australians, who were sick of all the leader options being from the suburbs of Sydney.

Abbott-Turnbull-Nelson-Howard all having essentially neighbouring seats is not unnoticed within the party. Add in Hockey and the trend is even clearer - Bennelong, North Sydney, Bradfield, Warringah, Wentworth.

All we need now is for Labor to go with Albanese and Plibersek and Sydney's dominance will be absolute Tongue

Huzzah!!!
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #982 on: September 17, 2013, 09:26:59 PM »

I'm just pleased that Bishop's a capable econodry, especially on IR (though that'll have to wait for the next Coalition cycle). Hopefully more young econodry stars emerge in the Abbott era. One can never have a deep enough leadership bench so far as I'm concerned.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #983 on: September 17, 2013, 09:33:58 PM »

I'm just pleased that Bishop's a capable econodry, especially on IR (though that'll have to wait for the next Coalition cycle). Hopefully more young econodry stars emerge in the Abbott era. One can never have a deep enough leadership bench so far as I'm concerned.

and I look forward to another fight on IR with the econodries...  Tongue
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #984 on: September 17, 2013, 09:46:47 PM »

Alas, that's eons away. For now all focus will be on BEEB: boats, economy, energy, budget.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #985 on: September 17, 2013, 09:47:54 PM »

Forgive my ignorance, but what is an "econodry"?  I tried googling "Julie Bishop econodry", but all it gave me were links to Atlas posts by RogueBeaver.  Tongue
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #986 on: September 17, 2013, 09:52:10 PM »

Someone who's economically dry, or fiscally conservative.

On a more solemn note, Keating's eulogy for the Unknown Soldier will be cast in bronze at the War Memorial.
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #987 on: September 17, 2013, 11:25:24 PM »

Forgive my ignorance, but what is an "econodry"?  I tried googling "Julie Bishop econodry", but all it gave me were links to Atlas posts by RogueBeaver.  Tongue

To add to what RogueBeaver said, the opposite of a dry is, predictably, a wet. The terms first came in use in 1980s Britain, coined by the late, great Margaret Thatcher herself to refer to the division in the UK Conservative Party.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wets_and_dries

The terms are used to a lesser degree in Australia and Canada, and probably New Zealand as well.

While Paul Keating isn't one of my favourite PMs, that speech is easily one of the best I've read from an Australian PM.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #988 on: September 18, 2013, 01:00:50 AM »

Econ-O-Dry is a line of coin operated laundry dryers, usually found pained with Econ-O-Wash coin operated washing machines.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #989 on: September 18, 2013, 04:31:08 AM »

Tony Abbott is the Minister for Women....

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/18/tony-abbott-womens-minister-portfolio
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #990 on: September 18, 2013, 05:06:28 AM »

And this just gets better...
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #991 on: September 18, 2013, 05:11:34 AM »

Forgive my ignorance, but what is an "econodry"?  I tried googling "Julie Bishop econodry", but all it gave me were links to Atlas posts by RogueBeaver.  Tongue

An hardliner. A left-winger could say they are dry because all compassion dried up and became paws for expanding neoliberalism and destroy the social net, but it would be a bit exagerated.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #992 on: September 18, 2013, 06:15:28 PM »

ACT is moving to enact SSM by year's end, Macklin backs Albo, Gillard and the history wars.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #993 on: September 18, 2013, 06:34:49 PM »

We'll have all seen it, but it's always nice to rewatch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOPsxpMzYw4
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #994 on: September 18, 2013, 08:34:00 PM »

Another unsurprising vote for Shorten: Howes.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #995 on: September 18, 2013, 08:45:06 PM »

Forgive my ignorance, but what is an "econodry"?  I tried googling "Julie Bishop econodry", but all it gave me were links to Atlas posts by RogueBeaver.  Tongue

An hardliner. A left-winger could say they are dry because all compassion dried up and became paws for expanding neoliberalism and destroy the social net, but it would be a bit exagerated.

When maxQue write "an hardliner" I picture Jean Chretien saying it.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #996 on: September 18, 2013, 08:49:19 PM »

Speaking of Howes, am I the only one who finds it amusing that a key player in Rudd's overthrow claims he won't run for that NSW Senate seat because of potential divisiveness? He's still got plenty of time, especially if the House is his real goal.
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #997 on: September 21, 2013, 09:55:17 AM »

By-election in the NSW state seat of Miranda on October 19. Obviously Labor won't win, bit it will be interesting to see the swing, particularly as incumbent member Annesley wants to return to NRL administration.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #998 on: September 21, 2013, 10:47:23 AM »

The swings in Sydney in 2011 were totally hysterical, that seat is nowhere near a natural 20%+ seat. It'll come down to how much anti-Labor venom remains. If there's still a bit, the swing could be -4-7% but I can see -10%+ pretty easily.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #999 on: September 21, 2013, 11:01:56 AM »

Natural Liberal area and all that, but it was a Labor seat from 1999 until the Great Electoral Awfulness.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 96  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies