Australia General Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:43:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Australia General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 ... 96
Author Topic: Australia General Discussion  (Read 249655 times)
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1175 on: January 31, 2014, 12:17:07 AM »

I think they're trying to do every horrible thing possible this week:

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/abbot-point-dredging-dumping-permitted-within-great-barrier-reef-waters-20140131-31rxn.html
TTS1996
Rookie
Australia
« Reply #1176 on: February 01, 2014, 05:23:51 PM »

Not all Australians are going to consider the PM, I quote, "a prick", for making noises about wanting to deport asylum seekers.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #1177 on: February 01, 2014, 07:01:01 PM »

Not all Australians are going to consider the PM, I quote, "a prick", for making noises about wanting to deport asylum seekers.

No they won't... but to me, it's a recognition that the internal polling is as bad as the public stuff and they're basically back in campaign mode.

* Bash asylum seekers
* threaten those commie-pinko-poofo-ABC
* keep talking about a Budget emergency (when they're borrowing more than Labor did)

Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #1178 on: February 09, 2014, 02:52:12 AM »

Bad day for fires back home. Three parts of my family have evacuated, another is preparing to do so, should things get messier. They're in between Benalla and Yarrawonga so no major concern just yet, but definitely not a comfortable position either cos there's only one road in and out. Largely farmland at least.

Others all down in Gippsland - one more a case of being unable to get home from Inverloch due to closed roads, the other two both headed in to Traralgon for safety. One if the houses isn't at huge risk, but they have a young baby. The other is just on the other side of the ridge from an ongoing fire so the wind change has helped them, but still within a couple of kms of the fire front.

Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #1179 on: February 09, 2014, 04:51:57 AM »

Fire about to hit the Tarra Bulga NP, which is at the southern tip of the valley my cousin lives in. Highly unlikely to get to his place overnight if at all, but definitely possible, and more possible than the fires on the other side of the hill, even though they're much closer.

All in all, it seems like most people - especially in that area, which was hit on Back Saturday, but throughout the state - are both more tolerant of road closures and more willing to leave their houses early than they were in 2009.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1180 on: February 09, 2014, 02:55:22 PM »

Fire about to hit the Tarra Bulga NP, which is at the southern tip of the valley my cousin lives in. Highly unlikely to get to his place overnight if at all, but definitely possible, and more possible than the fires on the other side of the hill, even though they're much closer.

All in all, it seems like most people - especially in that area, which was hit on Back Saturday, but throughout the state - are both more tolerant of road closures and more willing to leave their houses early than they were in 2009.

Well you know what they say.  Once burned, twice shy.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1181 on: February 10, 2014, 05:47:06 PM »

This is good. As they emphasise in the literature, leaving early is the safest option.

I have four close friends on the fireline today. One was flown into East Gippsland last night and is on a five-day deployment, the other three left this morning on a one-day deployment to Morwell.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #1182 on: February 10, 2014, 07:54:43 PM »

Firstly, the fires: Fortunately, things are settling down compared to their peak, but still very serious. I hope that your mates will be OK.

Secondly, I'm not sure if you're able to engage on the car issue, but my thoughts...

I've been really conflicted about government support for car manufacturing for a long time, but watching Kim Carr and Bill Shorten right now, I'm convinced.

As it happens, I drive an Australian made car, and it was a factor in my choice. I fully intended to always drive Aussie made cars, because they're good cars, and good value, and good for our country, and therefore good for me.

The callousness of Abbott after Ford, Holden, and now Toyota have pulled out has been unsurprisingly disgusting. The issue is more complex than simply numbers on a piece of paper, and it seems only Labor gives a sh**t - and they genuinely give a sh**t. They're not playing politics, they're furious, they're passionate, and they're advocating for the people who need them. It's something that's too rare in politics.

---------------------------------

As an aside, I think the ALP is playing politics in one particularly potent way. The federal government is very light on Victorians in senior positions, and at this press conference, it's a wall of Victorians. The new newspoll is out, with The Australian (kind of ridiculously) making the story about Shorten losing support in terms of job approval numbers. The real story is that the Coalition has managed to already become an unpopular government, and that Abbott is unequivocally an unpopular PM.

Another quick thing that is a bit eye opening. In the Griffith by-election, almost all the ALP campaign material had a picture of Abbott on it, and almost none of the LNP's did.

The Libs can't turf Abbott after the stink they made about the ousting of KRudd, but they also won't ever be a popular government with him as leader.

Lastly, I am curious about how the coalition can possibly justify their reaction to the SPC issue. I'm not a huge fan of Stone, but I do admit that she's gained some respect for me for being prepared to stand up for her electorate. I'm waiting for Napthine to absolutely rip the throat out of the federal government, but it won't happen... but quite frankly, if he wants to win the election later in the year, his best bet (and the Victorian coalition in general) is to clearly differentiate their 'brand' from Abbott and co.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1183 on: February 10, 2014, 08:25:48 PM »

Yeah, I can't talk about much of that, but especially not the automotive manufacturing side of things, as you understand.

Cheers for my mates, they'll be right: well trained, well drilled; conditions today don't seem too bad from what I can tell (not much wind from what I can see, but I'm at my desk, a couple of hundred km from them). Your cousins in the CFA, how are they doing? Thoughts and prayers for your family up country.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1184 on: February 10, 2014, 08:27:35 PM »
« Edited: February 10, 2014, 08:36:38 PM by Fmr. President & Senator Polnut »

Re: Griffith, there's a chance that Butler could outperform Rudd on postals ... if the trend from the second batch continues.

On the car industry, I agree - I've been conflicted about the effectiveness of essentially keeping this industry going. But the reality is that there is tens of thousands of jobs being affected by this.

The fact that there is no idea as to transitional assistance... a lot of those jobs come from areas that have a very narrow set of employers and it's all very well and good for Abbott to talk about them being 'liberated' (which disgusted me btw) but free to do what? Sign up with Centrelink? Risk losing their homes? When you gut the community's life-blood you gut the community, full stop. And then Abbott and Hockey try to blame the workers, when even Toyota says that wage demands had nothing to do with their decision... lying creeps.

Like you Hugh, on a number of fronts... and you know me well enough that I don't devote a lot of time to passion over this stuff... this Government makes me ashamed and I'm disgusted with them. I've decided to become more active in my party because it's the only way I can do anything to stop the damage.

It really makes me long for the days of Howard and Costello, it really does.

And as always, while the Government makes my stomach turn, the CFA makes me proud and they're all doing a great job.

Oh and on the Newspoll, the PM is still at -5 net satisfaction AND is at 41% PPM with Shorten at 33%... I mean, this is also unprecedented in polling history and the story is 'Shorten's honeymoon over' - well at least Shorten got a honeymoon.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #1185 on: February 11, 2014, 06:03:03 AM »

Yeah, I can't talk about much of that, but especially not the automotive manufacturing side of things, as you understand.

Cheers for my mates, they'll be right: well trained, well drilled; conditions today don't seem too bad from what I can tell (not much wind from what I can see, but I'm at my desk, a couple of hundred km from them). Your cousins in the CFA, how are they doing? Thoughts and prayers for your family up country.

Hen has left the CFA for this summer because of the baby. I think he intends on returning during the year ahead. I haven't heard anything about Rob and Lize in regards to CFA work, although I suspect Lize was involved. She does radio operation I think. If she was in any danger, I'd've heard about it.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #1186 on: February 11, 2014, 06:54:40 AM »

Looks like Gillard has her next steps set out:

http://www.probonoaustralia.com.au/news/2014/02/gillard-champion-global-education?utm_source=Pro+Bono+Australia+-+email+updates&utm_campaign=57f656a985-news_11_22_11_2014&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_5ee68172fb-57f656a985-146723490
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1187 on: February 11, 2014, 07:04:15 AM »

I think if we'd been through the same three years she had, I'm so pleased for her.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #1188 on: February 16, 2014, 03:55:33 PM »

Now Nielsen has the Coalition up 52/48.

wat.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1189 on: February 16, 2014, 08:25:49 PM »

Now Nielsen has the Coalition up 52/48.

wat.

And Abbott still can't crack 50% as PPM and remains in negative approval lol

What is interesting to me, is that unlike Essential, Morgan and Newspoll, while all of them show a fall in the Shorten approval - the drop in the ALP primary vote has not gone to the Coalition overall, whereas in Nielsen 75% of the lost ALP primary has gone to the Coalition... we need another month of polling to get a better idea.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #1190 on: February 16, 2014, 10:25:26 PM »

I wonder why Shorten's approval is in free fall. AFAIK he hasn't made any major missteps for his approval to fall by that much.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1191 on: February 16, 2014, 10:33:46 PM »

I wonder why Shorten's approval is in free fall. AFAIK he hasn't made any major missteps for his approval to fall by that much.

A lot of it, was driven by Coalition own-goals in the first few months.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1192 on: February 17, 2014, 12:02:48 AM »

There is a certain observable pro-Government bias in January/early-February polls, and I think also July/early-August polls, too. This was the case throughout the previous Government, but also through the Howard years. Seems to correlate with parliamentary recess, when Oppositions don't get the benefit of Question Time, plus plenty of MPs go away, so fewer media interviews... I think Governments tend to do better when politics isn't in the news.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #1193 on: February 20, 2014, 05:45:33 PM »

Any predictions for the Redcliffe byelection?

I'm going with an LNP win with 51% of the 2PP.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1194 on: February 21, 2014, 02:15:32 AM »

Lol

ALP 54-46
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #1195 on: February 21, 2014, 01:08:18 PM »

With God's blessing, Yvette D'Ath will win this (and comfortably)!
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1196 on: February 21, 2014, 05:32:34 PM »

If the ALP can't win this seat back, regardless of the candidate, they might as well give up.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1197 on: February 21, 2014, 06:21:29 PM »

If the ALP can't win this seat back, regardless of the candidate, they might as well give up.

Wel, it's because of GAY MARRIAGE, GAY MARRIAGE, GAY MARRIAGE!
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #1198 on: February 21, 2014, 06:34:42 PM »

The Labor candidate does not support gay marriage Smiley
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1199 on: February 21, 2014, 06:37:32 PM »

The Labor candidate does not support gay marriage Smiley

I pretty much figured that when seeing your rather enthusiastic support. It doesn't take long to get to know a broken record, after all.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 ... 96  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies