CNN Republican You-Tube Debate -- Wednesday, November 28, 2007
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:14:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  CNN Republican You-Tube Debate -- Wednesday, November 28, 2007
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Author Topic: CNN Republican You-Tube Debate -- Wednesday, November 28, 2007  (Read 12559 times)
Eleden
oaksmarts

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: November 28, 2007, 10:12:32 PM »

Perfect timing.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #126 on: November 28, 2007, 10:13:13 PM »

Sometimes I wonder how smart the people on this forum are.

Everyone clearly understood at the last Democratic debate that CNN set up the questioning and the audience to make sure and paint Hillary Clinton is the best possible light, along with painting Obama, Edwards and the rest of her opponents as vicious and mean.

This debate, CNN is specifically trying to make Republicans look like nutcases (of which some of the candidates are doing a pretty job at).

P.S.  If you don't believe me, the openly gay general CNN let speak for three or four minutes is the Chairman of Hillary Clinton's Gay Steering Committee.

Expect that to get more play tomorrow than the actual debate.
Eleden
oaksmarts

« Reply #127 on: November 28, 2007, 10:15:08 PM »

If I had to rank the performances:

1. Huckabee
2. Thompson
3. Paul
4. McCain
5. Giuliani
6. Tancredo
7. Romney
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #128 on: November 28, 2007, 10:16:38 PM »

Was Anderson Cooper pushing Romney on the gays in the military issue so hard perhaps because he himself (Anderson Cooper) is gay?

Cooper is CNN's version of Sheppard Smith.  I don't like either of them.  Schmoozey, patronizing, daft.  But much of America eats that crap up.  Remember, more of us can name the latest Survivor winner than, say, name the capital of any of the countries we're currently warring in right now.  At least he's not as bad as that bimbo Soledad O'Brien? 

Anderson Cooper 360?  Greta van Susteren?  Bill O'Reilly?  WTF is wrong with us?  Somewhere in the world today a volcano killed three thousand people, but I don't know about it because I'd rather watch a thirty-minute segment about Joren Van der Sloot and his current whereabouts?

Ah, well.  Free market, man.  It's all about the free market.  People want schlock, people get schlock.  Sensationalism and sex sells, so let it sell.  I shouldn't complain.  I am a registered republican, after all.

Pretty good debate.

Paul and Huckabee remain my faves.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #129 on: November 28, 2007, 10:16:47 PM »

Everyone clearly understood at the last Democratic debate that CNN set up the questioning and the audience to make sure and paint Hillary Clinton is the best possible light, along with painting Obama, Edwards and the rest of her opponents as vicious and mean.

This debate, CNN is specifically trying to make Republicans look like nutcases (of which some of the candidates are doing a pretty job at).

P.S.  If you don't believe me, the openly gay general CNN let speak for three or four minutes is the Chairman of Hillary Clinton's Gay Steering Committee.

They did give a hell of a lot of "we know you're not moderate, but are you crazy?" kind of questions, and gave them extra time.  But you want us to spend the entire debate bitching about that instead of taking it as a pointless YouTube debate?

Nah, this was more fun.

Edit: But they deserve to get their asses kicked over the gay general thing.  Like no one Googled him.  Please.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #130 on: November 28, 2007, 10:16:57 PM »

P.S.  If you don't believe me, the openly gay general CNN let speak for three or four minutes is the Chairman of Hillary Clinton's Gay Steering Committee.

I didn't see the last CNN debate but if you're right about they gay general thing, then lol @ CNN. I didn't know that but it explains a lot
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #131 on: November 28, 2007, 10:18:12 PM »

I didn't see the last CNN debate but if you're right about they gay general thing, then lol @ CNN. I didn't know that but it explains a lot
Well, it is okay as long as the General actually asked the question on Youtube.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #132 on: November 28, 2007, 10:18:27 PM »

If I had to rank the performances:

1. Huckabee
2. Thompson
3. Paul
4. McCain
5. Giuliani
6. Tancredo
7. Romney

I agree with the relative position with regards to everyone except thompson...he should be placed behind giulani, although those five were clearly far ahead of the final two.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #133 on: November 28, 2007, 10:18:38 PM »

See, I don't get that at all if true for the Hillary campaign. Why deligitimize a man standing in front of the Republican candidates speaking truth to power so easily cause he works for your campaign?
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #134 on: November 28, 2007, 10:19:26 PM »

P.S.  If you don't believe me, the openly gay general CNN let speak for three or four minutes is the Chairman of Hillary Clinton's Gay Steering Committee.

They did give a hell of a lot of "we know you're not moderate, but are you crazy?" kind of questions, and gave them extra time.  But you want us to spend the entire debate bitching about that instead of taking it as a pointless YouTube debate?

Nah, this was more fun.

Well, aren't all of the candidates trying to move pretty far to the right for the primary and then move to center in the GE? I don't think the questions were that "bad" if the candidates insisted on answering "extremely".
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #135 on: November 28, 2007, 10:22:23 PM »

Well, aren't all of the candidates trying to move pretty far to the right for the primary and then move to center in the GE? I don't think the questions were that "bad" if the candidates insisted on answering "extremely".

Maybe, but it's hardly what they did with the Democrats.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #136 on: November 28, 2007, 10:23:26 PM »

Nah, this was more fun.

Of course it's more fun.  Smiley  I'm just pointing it out, because it's obvious and it needed to be said.  Most importantly, everyone needs to understand what candidate CNN is supporting.  Tongue
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #137 on: November 28, 2007, 10:25:28 PM »

Edit:  I put chairman, the gay general is one of three.

PS: Huck won the debate.  I may post more later.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #138 on: November 28, 2007, 10:32:56 PM »

William Bennett seriously thinks Romney had a "very strong night"?

CNN (Anderson Cooper, at least) is saying that they don't know about the gay general's Clinton connection.  Whooops.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #139 on: November 28, 2007, 10:33:33 PM »

Edit:  I put chairman, the gay general is one of three.

PS: Huck won the debate.  I may post more later.

It was just mentioned by a commentator on CNN that said he was getting it emailed to him en masse. Anderson Cooper said he had no idea about that if true.

Dear God CNN, a little background research wouldn't kill you. You flew the guy there after all.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #140 on: November 28, 2007, 10:34:11 PM »

Huckabee won this debate hands down.  He would be the only republican I would vote for.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #141 on: November 28, 2007, 10:38:58 PM »

William Bennett seriously thinks Romney had a "very strong night"?

CNN (Anderson Cooper, at least) is saying that they don't know about the gay general's Clinton connection.  Whooops.

Note:  Anderson Cooper did not say connection to Clinton, he said connection to a Democratic presidential contender.

And if CNN didn't know about this, I'll put a D-MS avatar by my name for a month.  It's part of a pattern, and to be quite honest, this stuff makes me much more sympathetic to Obama and Edwards also.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #142 on: November 28, 2007, 10:42:20 PM »

One of the people in the focus group refered to "Giuliano".
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #143 on: November 28, 2007, 10:42:37 PM »

Screw CNN. Clinton News Network indeed
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #144 on: November 28, 2007, 10:42:46 PM »

Huckabee's received an Intrade boost from the debate and is now at 11.0 to win the RepNom.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #145 on: November 28, 2007, 10:48:54 PM »

Wow, the Democratic one was only in September? It seems so long ago.

Predictions:

1) The moderators will try to create conflicts

2) Everyone will accuse each other of being soft on immigration

3) Huckabee will tell a somewhat humorous joke

4) Paul will piss everyone off

5) Giuliani and Romney will bicker

6) Everyone will ignore Fred and McCain

7) We'll be reminded that Hunter and Tancredo are in fact still running, only to forget five minutes after it ends

Likely YouTube questioners: Gays, someone on the border/a Minuteman, a pastor

Wow... 9-out-of-10 correct on the serious predictions.

Good job.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #146 on: November 28, 2007, 10:49:38 PM »

Huckabee's received an Intrade boost from the debate and is now at 11.0 to win the RepNom.

As well he should.  If there's only one comment I could make to him is that he is very likeable, but often doesn't look Presidential.  It's a minor detail, but he can work on it (Governors often don't start out as Presidential)

As to the other candidates, they all kind of washed together to me.  Rudy lost the early debate with Romney, but got better as the night went on.  Romney started off good went in reverse, and I thought in the end performed worse, especially with his "gays and lesbians" non-answer.  McCain attacked the three-pound elephant in the room, which plays well with Republicans, but who cares.  Why is Thompson still on the stage?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #147 on: November 28, 2007, 10:55:53 PM »

Former Secretary of Education William Bennett says that Romney was strong and decisive in the debate, and performed well.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #148 on: November 28, 2007, 10:56:47 PM »

One of the people in the focus group refered to "Giuliano".

Well, to its credit, CNN did choose a representative sample of the average undecided Republican voter.

Former Secretary of Education William Bennett says that Romney was strong and decisive in the debate, and performed well.

Did you...watch the debate?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #149 on: November 28, 2007, 10:58:58 PM »

Huckabee, eliminate the IRS.

Get serious.

If he wants to be a serious candidate, Huckabee had better get real.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies