Why I, a Libertarian, think Obama should be our next President
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:10:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why I, a Libertarian, think Obama should be our next President  (Read 1465 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 15, 2008, 04:27:30 AM »

1.He'll improve our image in the rest of the world.  Honestly, I've always argued that it doesn't matter much if somebody in Amsterdam or Istanbul thinks all Americans are jackasses because of the actions of our President.  But in reality it does matter a little.  There might not be many things we can point to that are concrete repercussions from this, but I do think there are many subtle ones.

2.Many people question his experience, but history has shown us that some of our greatest Presidents were lacking in executive experience.  JFK and Lincoln spring to mind.  The greats have a positive attitude and the ability to pull the greatness out of those around him (and surround themselves with greatness in the first place).  We know Obama has the positive attitude and he has the ability to get the most out of his followers.  I don't know if he's surrounded himself with good people in the past or if he will as President, but I trust him to do a better job of that than W has or Hillary would.

3.He's the first major Democrat politician in my lifetime that actually seems to believe what he says.  The guy oozes charisma.  I never understood why people said that about Bill, I personally never saw it.  He always came across like a used car salesman to me.  Obama on the other hand comes across like your honest uncle, the one that told there was a time and place for everything, and that place is called college.  He seems like he has the ability to tell the American people bad news, something many politicians have a huge problem with.  He's Hillary's polar opposite in this regard.  When she comes across as full of sh**t, he comes across as giving a sh**t.

4.Obama will do more to end the garbage in Iraq than any of the other front runners will.

5.Enough Baby Boomers!  We gave you guys the keys to everything, we didn't want to but it was your turn, and you seem to have turned us towards a brick wall. Then you floored it.  I think it would be best for America if you gave the keys back now.

6.We need a break from the GOP AND from Clintons.

7.Nothing would shut the likes of Al "himeytown" Sharpton and the Rev. Jesse "was it wrong to boink my secretary" Jackson than an Obama victory.  This isn't the country you race baiting jackasses grew up in.  We've changed.  Most of us aren't racists.  Most of us are doing nothing to keep the black man down.  We don't have the time or the desire.  Are there racists left?  Of course there is.  Sadly most of them seem to be liberal elites and black people.  Racism will always be around because there will always be stupid people that like to group everybody into preconceived stereotypes, those people come in all sorts of colors, religions and ideologies.  Instead of dwelling on the idiots, lets dwell on more important things.

8.An Obama win will break the stranglehold the Clintons sometimes seem to have on the Democrat Party.  I know they don't actually run the party, but they have an unfair amount of pull.  Or at least that's how it comes across from the outside.

I'm not sure, but I think if I leaned just a little more to the left I'd have a man crush on the guy.  I have NO idea why.  It's kind of scary actually.  Maybe I just haven't seen enough of the guy to boil my dislike of him up, but I don't think so.  Does anybody else like the guy for seemingly irrational reasons or am I alone here?

(I'm not going to vote for the guy.  He's a Democrat and he's anti-gun.  I just think he'll do the least damage out of all likely potential candidates.)
defe07

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 04:40:57 AM »

I couldn't agree with you more, my friend. Wink
berlin1929

Political Matrix
E: -1.60, S: -6.97

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 11:43:42 AM »

Excellent points; great insight and summary!

Observation about the Clintons though...I give them credit for dragging the Democratic Party from the Left to the Middle and ultimately, they may have saved the Party for someone like Obama and maybe from the clutches of the extremist Religious Right.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 11:17:05 PM »

One qualm, himeytown was Jackson, not Sharpton Wink
8 out of 11 is not deserved
pollwatch99-b

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 06:00:07 PM »

Obama is unique and I agree with many of your points. 

He is a democrat that a moderate republican could support and right now, I'd vote for him 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies