2nd Immigration Reform Bill of 2007 [Withdrawn]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 12:15:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  2nd Immigration Reform Bill of 2007 [Withdrawn]
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 2nd Immigration Reform Bill of 2007 [Withdrawn]  (Read 5279 times)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 03, 2007, 04:25:51 PM »
« edited: December 06, 2007, 08:14:43 PM by Verily »

2nd Immigration Reform Bill of 2007

1. The Illegal Immigrant Act (F.L. 18-8) is hereby repealed.

2. Illegal aliens who have been convicted of a state or federal offense and sentenced to a term of imprisonment less than 12 months in duration within the last 3 years of their application shall be denied citizenship in all instances, even if their application is presently pending under the auspices of F.L. 18-8.  This shall not apply to persons imprisoned for actions which have since become decriminalized.

3. Illegal aliens who have been convicted of a state or federal offense and sentenced to a term of imprisonment less than 12 months in duration not within the last 3 years of their application whose application is presently pending under the auspices of F.L. 18-8 shall be allowed to become citizens, if meeting the separate requirements of all other relevant legislation.

4. Illegal or legal aliens who have become citizens because of changes in the law effectuated by F.L. 18-8 shall not have their citizenship revoked.

(Sponsor: Sam Spade)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 04:29:33 PM »

Motion to table.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 05:27:21 PM »

If the motion to table fails, I see myself motioning to take section 2 out.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 06:22:58 PM »

I join my colleagues in great distaste for this bill. I ask of my fellow senators, since they restriced the progression of those looking to join our fine country, to at least not set them back a notch. This is a place for a new life, especially for those that have made mistakes.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 08:42:52 PM »

We are now voting on a motion to table. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 01:54:52 AM »

Aye
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 03:14:13 AM »

I would actually like to hear a little bit more about the bill from Senator Spade before I support a motion to table.

Nay.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 07:31:55 AM »

I would actually like to hear a little bit more about the bill from Senator Spade before I support a motion to table.

Nay.

The nearly exact same bill has been debated before:
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=60819.0
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 03:15:44 PM »

Nay
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 04:14:43 PM »

Nay.

The nearly exact same bill has been debated before:
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=60819.0
Yes, key word being DEBATE, something this senate lacks.  If not for a very minor qualms, Phil would have voted yes and it had a great chance of passing.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 04:31:39 PM »

No, it would have failed.  If Phil had voted Aye it would have gone to a tie and there's no way this steaming pile of crap would have gotten past the executive branch.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2007, 04:35:08 PM »

No, it would have failed.  If Phil had voted Aye it would have gone to a tie and there's no way this steaming pile of crap would have gotten past the executive branch.
Well, I'm glad that we have stooped to the level where bills we disagree with are "steaming piles of crap".  I'm also glad you can speak to the voting habits of Colin and Jas.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2007, 04:36:09 PM »

I thought the President actually expressed support for the bill in the early moments of the thread, should the drug offense exception be included?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2007, 04:40:38 PM »
« Edited: December 04, 2007, 04:51:41 PM by Ebowed »

I thought the President actually expressed support for the bill in the early moments of the thread, should the drug offense exception be included?

The President voted in favor of the bill that would be repealed by this.

Also, he said he would veto the bill if it didn't include a drug exemption.  He never expressed support for the bill even if it did contain the exemption.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2007, 04:43:07 PM »

Well, I'm glad that we have stooped to the level where bills we disagree with are "steaming piles of crap".  I'm also glad you can speak to the voting habits of Colin and Jas.

To be fair, not only is the bill a steaming pile of crap, but so are you.
Classy for official senate business
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2007, 04:45:00 PM »

What's classy is having a disgraced ex-Senator who is widely hated by anyone who remembers his previous tenure in the Senate come in here and attempt to build support for previously debated legislation when you criticized me of re-introducing failed legislation long ago.

I just don't understand all of the hypocrisy, Down.  Can't you try and be a little consistent?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2007, 04:50:02 PM »

What's classy is having a disgraced ex-Senator who is widely hated by anyone who remembers his previous tenure in the Senate come in here and attempt to build support for previously debated legislation when you criticized me of re-introducing failed legislation long ago.

I just don't understand all of the hypocrisy, Down.  Can't you try and be a little consistent?
I think the senate can see through your attempts to use hyperbole, circular logic, and personal attacks.  I ask the senate to read through the previous debate thread.  And as far as disgraced, I left office.  Let's remember who had was forced out of being PPT.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2007, 04:50:51 PM »

And as far as disgraced, I left office.  Let's remember who had was forced out of being PPT.

Heh.  I left the office of PPT, too.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2007, 04:52:36 PM »

And as far as disgraced, I left office.  Let's remember who had was forced out of being PPT.

Heh.  I left the office of PPT, too.
That would make us equal then, so the same adjectives could apply to you.  I happened to not run in a cushy district, and think you will be hard-pressed to see you do not live in a cushy district.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2007, 05:55:28 PM »

I don't think there's much doubt that Down was a disgrace as a Senator. Not quite up (or down) to Naso levels, but he came much closer than a normal human being would have done.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2007, 06:11:37 PM »

I don't think there's much doubt that Down was a disgrace as a Senator. Not quite up (or down) to Naso levels, but he came much closer than a normal human being would have done.
I have seen a few senators more arrogant, disrespectful, and self-conceited than Ebowed, Al would certainly be up there.  Al what exactly did you accomplish in your last term except poorly attempting to mock me?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2007, 06:18:34 PM »

I have seen a few senators more arrogant, disrespectful, and self-conceited than Ebowed, Al would certainly be up there.  Al what exactly did you accomplish in your last term except poorly attempting to mock me?

Actually, Al was an excellent Senator.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2007, 06:19:39 PM »

Actually, Al was an excellent Senator.
It is a matter of opinion, I would you to say something to that effect, he was a hero to the left.  I would not mind if Al had a legitimate gripe about my policies, but his level of envy has caused him to offer nothing but "Down was a bad senator".  It obviously shows insecurities about his own senate tenure, basic psycology.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2007, 06:45:09 PM »

I'm not quite sure to say. Perhaps laughter is appropriate.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2007, 06:45:52 PM »

I'm not quite sure to say. Perhaps laughter is appropriate.
Thanks for furthering my point, let's remember who finds it constantly necessary to mention who
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies