Who is the Republican frontrunner?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 05:01:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Who is the Republican frontrunner?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Who is the Republican frontrunner?
Rudy Giuliani

Mike Huckabee

Mitt Romney

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: Who is the Republican frontrunner?  (Read 3675 times)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 06, 2007, 04:33:13 PM »

It isn't Thompson or McCain despite decent poll numbers in some states. It isn't Ron Paul despite staggering fundraising numbers. Tancredo and Hunter are joke candidates of course... but try picking one of the other three as the frontrunner. I'm having trouble picking one (if there even is one).
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 05:11:44 PM »

A difficult question indeed. I voted Giuliani even though he's really in no position to win considering his NH/Iowa/SC numbers
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 05:23:32 PM »

I actually voted for Huckabee. He seems to be right up there with Giuliani in the national polls now and he seems to be pulling away in the southern states (like SC & NC) as well as Iowa. I'm really not sure if he can sustain it though because he lacks capital.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 05:46:38 PM »

If the MI Supreme Court hadn't reinstated the state's Jan. 15th primary, I'd probably say Huckabee.  However, with the NH primary on Jan. 8th and the MI primary on Jan. 15th, Huck-mentum might hit some roadblocks.  Diehard social conservatives make up a much smaller slice of the GOP electorate in NH than in, say, IA or SC, and MI is a big northern state that's expensive to run in.  Huckabee would have some problems winning there with limited $ and organization.  So even if Huckabee wins IA and SC, Giuliani and/or Romney will likely still be major players by the time of the FL primary on Jan. 29th, where again, $ will probably be a big factor.

So while both Giuliani and Huckabee are serious contenders, I say Romney is (just barely) the most likely candidate to win the nomination.  He has two plausible victory scenarios:

Scenario 1:
Win IA, NH, and MI.  His mo' becomes unstoppable.  Game over.
(A lot of people here seem to think that Romney has already lost IA, when he's only in a near-tie with Huckabee.  There's no guarantee that Huckabee's momentum will continue in the state, and Romney still has superior resources, and will presumably hit Huckabee with negative ads soon.)

Scenario 2:
Huckabee wins IA & SC, but Romney wins NH & MI, and presumably NV.  Giuliani fades, and Huckabee and Romney are the main players in the race when Floridians go to the polls on Jan. 29th.  Huckabee's virtually out of $ at this point, so Romney overwhelms him with paid advertising and wins the state, giving him enough momentum to sweep the bulk of the Feb. 5th states (except in the South, where Huck would presumably still do well), and get the nomination.
jacob_101

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 05:49:52 PM »

There isn't one.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 05:54:23 PM »

A very difficult question indeed. I would say it would be either Mitt Romney or Mike Huckabee. I say Romney because he's got the money, thanks to the Church and his momentum and Tike Hike Mike because of gaining momentum and he's right up there in the national polls with Rudy.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 06:10:42 PM »

I say it is almost a tie between Giuliani and Huckabee, while Romney is falling fast.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 07:14:42 PM »

Giuliani.  'frontrunner' is a media designation.  it says little about his actual chances to be nominated.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 07:15:35 PM »

Huckabee is or at least will be soon.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 07:58:58 PM »

It's a very close call. I still say Guliani, but it depends on so many variables now that it's really impossible to tell how things will pan out.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 10:37:25 PM »

Crazy scenario, but I think it could happen (1% chance):

Iowa:
Huckabee wins, Thompson 2nd, Romney 3rd, Paul 4th
Huckabee wins and gets a lot of momentum, but Thompson finishing 2nd hurts Romney incredibly and kills his momentum heading to NH.  Paul supporters are thrilled by his 4th place finish.  Ron Paul then takes the NH primary over Romney with Huck finishing 4th to Giuliani.  Huck wins SC w/Thompson 2nd, and Paul 3rd.  Paul uses this momentum and money to win NV and pull 2nd in FL.  He does well in the big states on Super Tuesday and gets the nod Smiley
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2007, 10:40:05 PM »

At least you're smarter than Intrade.  Wink
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2007, 10:40:13 PM »

Iowa:
Huckabee wins and gets a lot of momentum, but Thompson finishing 2nd hurts Romney incredibly and kills his momentum heading to NH.  Paul supporters are thrilled by his 4th place finish.  Ron Paul then takes the NH primary over Romney with Huck finishing 4th to Giuliani.  Huck wins SC w/Thompson 2nd, and Paul 3rd.  Paul uses this momentum and money to win NV and pull 2nd in FL.  He does well in the big states on Super Tuesday and gets the nod Smiley

haha! the only people that support paul are stoners and college kids.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2007, 10:43:14 PM »

Iowa:

don't forget the neo-Nazis and white nationalists.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2007, 10:44:54 PM »

Iowa:

and those who favor real change and small government, the biggest reason I support him is because he actually believes what he is saying
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2007, 10:56:40 PM »

Iowa:

and the conspiracy theorists.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2007, 10:58:02 PM »

Iowa:

and those who favor real change and small government, the biggest reason I support him is because he actually believes what he is saying

what he is saying is unrealistic. he looks at the world through rose colored glasses. no CIA? no FBI? Protectionism? No income tax and he may consider a flat tax? That may have worked back in the 1800s, but not today.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2007, 11:00:21 PM »

Iowa:

So does the crazy hobo on the street corner, but that doesn't mean I want him to be president.

Short of Azeroth holding a caucus, Ron Paul isn't winning anything.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2007, 11:11:39 PM »

I'm one of the rare ones that still voted for Romney.

My disqualification of the other two:

Giuliani - His numbers look fairly impressive until you take into account he's probably at his ceiling of support. And they're only going to go down once he loses the early states. His strategy appears to be to ignore early states and focus on nationwide, and hoping he can weather the blows from the early states to win overall. Might've been valid back when it was a 4/5-way race, but not really at this point.

Huckabee - I'm not buying one poll that shows him with a nationwide lead in the MoE. There's still no guarantee he wins Iowa, and even if he does, he has nowhere to go from there. He ain't getting NH. He might be competitive in some of the new Super Tuesday states, but does he have the money or organization to compete with Romney? Not really. Plus I think this Dumond thing is going to hurt, and take a look at Free Republic's postings on it for proof (one guy has even flat out said he would vote for Hillary over Huckabee!)

However what Tweed said is largely true as well.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2007, 11:16:35 PM »

I'm one of the rare ones that still voted for Romney.

My disqualification of the other two:

Giuliani - His numbers look fairly impressive until you take into account he's probably at his ceiling of support. And they're only going to go down once he loses the early states. His strategy appears to be to ignore early states and focus on nationwide, and hoping he can weather the blows from the early states to win overall. Might've been valid back when it was a 4/5-way race, but not really at this point.

Huckabee - I'm not buying one poll that shows him with a nationwide lead in the MoE. There's still no guarantee he wins Iowa, and even if he does, he has nowhere to go from there. He ain't getting NH. He might be competitive in some of the new Super Tuesday states, but does he have the money or organization to compete with Romney? Not really. Plus I think this Dumond thing is going to hurt, and take a look at Free Republic's postings on it for proof (one guy has even flat out said he would vote for Hillary over Huckabee!)

However what Tweed said is largely true as well.

Romney has the most money and organization, but I still cant see him winning the nomination. He does too poorly in southern states and I think that will be exposed before he can win enough to secure the nomination.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2007, 12:03:20 AM »
« Edited: December 07, 2007, 12:16:55 AM by StateBoiler »

Click on the December 4th video. http://www.southernpoliticalreport.com/webcast_archives.aspx

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Paul, Fred Thompson, McCain, and Huckabee are the ones supporting a flat tax. (Not to mention that the current Republican darling Huckabee said in a nationally-televised debate just last week he was going to dissolve the IRS.)

Giuliani and Romney are strongly against it.

Paul is very VERY anti-protectionism. And a quick google search shows me that Paul has never said "no CIA" or "no FBI".

So...get some facts first?
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2007, 01:02:15 AM »

Paul is anti-NAFTA, for reasons that I don't entirely agree with, but I do understand.  His position is that such bilateral/trilateral agreements may liberalize trade with those countries, but tend to put up more barriers with other countries.  He thinks of them as regional trading blocs--that could become more than just trading blocs (compare the progress towards the EU from the free trade agreements of the early post-war period, says he).  He also doesn't like the WTO, as he doesn't like the reduction in US sovereignty that comes as a result.

But Paul is by no means 'protectionist' in spirit--he supports free trade, and his ideal world would have free trade between all countries.  However, I don't quite know how he proposes to get from here to there without institutions like NAFTA or the WTO.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2007, 01:10:49 AM »

But Paul is by no means 'protectionist' in spirit--he supports free trade, and his ideal world would have free trade between all countries.  However, I don't quite know how he proposes to get from here to there without institutions like NAFTA or the WTO.

Well, you can either make bilateral agreements with other countries to have free trade with them, but with no conditions of the type that NAFTA has....or you can just unilaterally eliminate American tarrifs on other countries, and diplomatically pressure them to lower their own barriers.  Does Paul support either of those things?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2007, 01:29:40 AM »

Huckabee - After winning Iowa, heŽll come in as a strong second in NH (where polls will show him within 10% of Romney shortly before IA) - Romney may win WY and MI. DonŽt know about NV, but a Huckabee victory in SC will overshadow NV anyway. Huckabee goes on to win FL and wins most Supertuesday states, except Tri-state, Utah and Tennessee. He could also win CA ...
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2007, 01:36:33 AM »

Romney has the most money and organization, but I still cant see him winning the nomination. He does too poorly in southern states and I think that will be exposed before he can win enough to secure the nomination.

Honestly, given the calendar, he doesn't really need to win Southern primaries except Florida (which is of course quite a bit different from the rest of the South).  Huckabee could win the Southern primaries on Feb. 5th, and if Romney sweeps most of the rest, he wins.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies