Rutte likely next NATO Secretary General
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:56:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Rutte likely next NATO Secretary General
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rutte likely next NATO Secretary General  (Read 785 times)
Open Source Intelligence
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 22, 2024, 03:12:46 PM »

Politico's National Security Daily:

SECGEN RUTTE?: More than 20 countries support Dutch Prime Minister MARK RUTTE’s bid to be the next NATO secretary general, our own STUART LAU reports, with about 10 more nations left to make their preference known.

It’s unclear if the U.S. is one of those nations.

“After very intense rounds of discussions among the allies we are now at the point where over 20 NATO allies are prepared to support Prime Minister Rutte as the next secretary-general,” a NATO official told Lau. Rutte, who has been campaigning for the job since November, is the only name put forward by the alliance’s 31 member governments, the official said.

The official added that the discussions “are not final” but added: “There is increasing momentum behind his candidacy.”

Estonian Prime Minister KAJA KALLAS expressed interest in the NATO top job during an event hosted by POLITICO in November. But NATO officials say she’s not in the mix since she has not declared her candidacy. The same goes for Latvia’s Foreign Minister KRIŠJĀNIS KARIŅŠ, who did a mini media tour last year to test the waters.
Leading Political Consultant Ma Anand Sheela
Heat

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2024, 05:00:36 AM »

The only way to fail these days is upwards.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2024, 06:49:58 AM »

I disagree, I think if you compare Rutte to Michel, Von Der Leyen and other insane picks for these kind of top jobs, you can at least recognise he's an overall better operator. Stoltenberg has been good but Rutte might have to play the role of the Trump Whisperer and he can play it better than whichever goody two shoes would be proposed in his place (Marin for example).

That he led the Netherlands to the housing and public services crisis was by design, not incompetence. He's a neo-liberal who favours the deliberate withholding of supply to support big capital. You can oppose his politics while also recognising his abilities.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2024, 07:57:55 AM »

I disagree, I think if you compare Rutte to Michel, Von Der Leyen and other insane picks for these kind of top jobs, you can at least recognise he's an overall better operator. Stoltenberg has been good but Rutte might have to play the role of the Trump Whisperer and he can play it better than whichever goody two shoes would be proposed in his place (Marin for example).

That he led the Netherlands to the housing and public services crisis was by design, not incompetence. He's a neo-liberal who favours the deliberate withholding of supply to support big capital. You can oppose his politics while also recognising his abilities.
On the one hand I personally would prefer the NATO Secretary General coming from a nation that has more skin in the game like the Baltics but you do make a good point on Rutte being a smarter bureaucrat type who could navigate a world were Trump comes back
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2024, 10:27:18 AM »

Rutte is a good choice.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2024, 11:49:11 AM »

I think a good summary is "uninspiring, but solid".
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2024, 12:18:32 PM »

I think a good summary is "uninspiring, but solid".
Quite.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2024, 05:37:13 PM »

On the one hand I personally would prefer the NATO Secretary General coming from a nation that has more skin in the game like the Baltics but you do make a good point on Rutte being a smarter bureaucrat type who could navigate a world were Trump comes back

MH17 means the Netherlands is closer than most of Western Europe to the Baltics in at least some of the respects that matter.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2024, 03:11:28 PM »

It's a fairly common thing for PMs of smaller European countries to end up in roles in like this after they leave the premiership.

Jans Stoltenberg was twice Norwegian PM; most of his predecessors held high-level ministerial posts before getting the job:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secretary_General_of_NATO#List_of_officeholders
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2024, 07:18:02 AM »

It's a fairly common thing for PMs of smaller European countries to end up in roles in like this after they leave the premiership.

Jans Stoltenberg was twice Norwegian PM; most of his predecessors held high-level ministerial posts before getting the job:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secretary_General_of_NATO#List_of_officeholders
On a sidenote, how did Italy monopolize the Deputy Secretary General position from 1971 to 2012?
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2024, 10:54:01 PM »

I could see Chrystia Freeland being another possibility.  She is of Ukrainian descent and has taken a very hard line on Ukraine.  She is generally well respected in establishment circles.  And with Trudeau not likely to step down before election and party likely to lose this would be a good exit.  Main problem for her is Canada is one of the furthest from committing 2% of GDP to defense spending.
MayorCarcetti
Rookie
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2024, 03:30:38 AM »

I could see Chrystia Freeland being another possibility.  She is of Ukrainian descent and has taken a very hard line on Ukraine.  She is generally well respected in establishment circles.  And with Trudeau not likely to step down before election and party likely to lose this would be a good exit.  Main problem for her is Canada is one of the furthest from committing 2% of GDP to defense spending.
Freeland was mentioned as a possibility last year but seems like there was a consensus that the candidate should be European, plus Canada's lack of defence of spending you mentioned also hurt her chances.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2024, 02:21:10 PM »

Overall a solid choice.

Nonetheless I think Kaja Kallas would have been an interesting choice, becoming to first woman to lead NATO. She's also very outspoken in her opposition to the Kremlin.
Flyersfan232

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2024, 08:26:12 AM »

that would be a pr nightmare for nato
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies