Center of Population Project
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:58:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Center of Population Project
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Center of Population Project  (Read 3381 times)
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 07, 2007, 09:34:56 PM »

http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/INFO/COP/

Texas's COP is a little south of Temple.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 09:51:42 PM »

Looks like Alaska, Minnesota, Rhode Island, Utah, Indiana and Georgia hit their biggest cities right on, and Virginia's capital seems to be in an appropriate place.

New York's center of population is almost outside the state!
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 10:12:25 PM »

New York's center of population is almost outside the state!

I noticed that, too.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 10:27:00 PM »

Ours is on a rural section of I94 near the Crow River.. I think there are some farms around it and some new housing developments.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 10:31:17 PM »

Actually, w/ a non-convex state like NY, it could have very well been outside the state. And Hawaii's center is in the water Smiley
Jaggerjack
Fabian_the_Fastman
Thailand

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -4.00

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 01:16:55 AM »

Wow, ours is down in the valley... says a lot about how much more people wanna live in SoCal than NorCal...
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 03:13:48 AM »

Wow, ours is down in the valley... says a lot about how much more people wanna live in SoCal than NorCal...

Its not surprising given that 60% of you Congressional districts are below the nearly horizontal line running along the northern border of San Bernardino, Kern, and San Luis Obispo counties.

It's very fitting that Ohio's COP falls directly on 1-71 which cuts through all three of our biggest cities.  I'm surprised that it isn't just a bit closer to Columbus though.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 03:57:20 AM »

Minnesota's far from hits the biggest city head on, it's deep in the exurbs. At the last census it was the exurb of Rogers.
Jaggerjack
Fabian_the_Fastman
Thailand

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -4.00

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 11:00:15 AM »

Its not surprising given that 60% of you Congressional districts are below the nearly horizontal line running along the northern border of San Bernardino, Kern, and San Luis Obispo counties.

It's very fitting that Ohio's COP falls directly on 1-71 which cuts through all three of our biggest cities.  I'm surprised that it isn't just a bit closer to Columbus though.
Yeah, I noticed... Just Los Angeles-Orange-San Bernardino-Riverside-San Diego counties=already half of our population.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 03:31:49 PM »

Yeah, I noticed... Just Los Angeles-Orange-San Bernardino-Riverside-San Diego counties=already half of our population.

I'm surprised it's not closer to the coast.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2007, 03:35:34 PM »

I've always wanted to know Canada's COP. I've guessed it's probably somewhere north of Toronto.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2007, 03:45:41 PM »

I've always wanted to know Canada's COP. I've guessed it's probably somewhere north of Toronto.

In 1993, it was Kawartha Lakes, Ontario.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2007, 06:12:49 PM »

Washington's is in Enumclaw right? It's interesting how some of the centers of population are in the middle of nowhere like Nevada's. Hawaii is funny being in the water. I've actually wondered about Canada. It would amazing to know the center of pop. for the country and the provinces.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2007, 06:35:52 PM »

According to whom?

Kawartha Lakes didnt even exist in 1993, its an amalgamated municipality that amalgamated in like 2001. Plus, 1993 wasnt even a census year. However, it makes sense. I'd reckon it's moved further west towards Barrie by now.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2007, 09:49:03 PM »

Washington's is in Enumclaw right? It's interesting how some of the centers of population are in the middle of nowhere like Nevada's. Hawaii is funny being in the water. I've actually wondered about Canada. It would amazing to know the center of pop. for the country and the provinces.

Ours is just south of North Bend, now.  It was Enumclaw on another one I saw.  I'm a little surprised it's moved north for us...since all of our fastest-growing counties are in the south.

According to whom?

Kawartha Lakes didnt even exist in 1993, its an amalgamated municipality that amalgamated in like 2001. Plus, 1993 wasnt even a census year. However, it makes sense. I'd reckon it's moved further west towards Barrie by now.

It's in what is now Kawartha Lakes, then Laxton.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_of_population
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2007, 12:21:38 AM »

I wish I could use those cool little name shortenings... so then I'd be living in "NorMN"

But then people would start to think I was somehow endorsing Norm Coleman...
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2007, 02:46:55 PM »

Ours is just south of North Bend, now.  It was Enumclaw on another one I saw.  I'm a little surprised it's moved north for us...since all of our fastest-growing counties are in the south.

According to whom?

It's in what is now Kawartha Lakes, then Laxton.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_of_population

Correction: the Township of Laxton, Digby and Longford
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2007, 08:02:57 PM »

Yeah, that's a good name for a township.  Whatever you say, Canada Smiley

(Britain lickers.)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2007, 10:28:44 AM »

Yeah, that's a good name for a township.  Whatever you say, Canada Smiley

(Britain lickers.)

Oh, the best is "The United Townships of Dysart, Bruton, Clyde, Dudley, Eyre, Guilford, Harburn, Harcourt and Havelock"
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies