Will it ever be "Clinton" rather than "Hillary"?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:52:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Will it ever be "Clinton" rather than "Hillary"?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will it ever be "Clinton" rather than "Hillary"?  (Read 4344 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 11, 2007, 09:58:42 PM »
« edited: December 11, 2007, 10:07:49 PM by Mr. Morden »

Just wondering.  Many of us on this forum commonly refer to Hillary Rodham Clinton as "Clinton", following the convention that you refer to politicians by their last name.  But to virtually the entire rest of the world (including political pundits) it's always "Hillary".  Even her own campaign seems to use "Hillary" more often than "Clinton".  If she were to actually win the nomination, would this continue throughout the entire campaign?  If she were to be elected president, would it stop then?  Or would we have "President Hillary" rather than "President Clinton"?
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 12:09:58 AM »

Even though everyone already knows Bill isn't really running I think the media calls her Clinton in order to differentiate her from her husband.  This in turn has a subconscious affect on the general public which is why most people refer to her as Hillary.  If she is elected president I'm sure it would become the more formal President Clinton.  President Hillary just doesn't sound right.  Only monarchs use first names.
gorkay

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 11:11:37 AM »

It's a combination of the fact that people are trying to differentiate her from Bill and the fact that, until recent years, it wasn't considered polite to refer to a woman by only her last name.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 02:07:14 PM »

We used to wonder whether it would ever be "Bush" rather than "W" or "junior" or "Forty-Three."  And our wondering is over.  Clearly, when you hear the word "bush" now, it means the current Bush.  Similarly, if she is elected president she'll eventually crawl out from the shadow of the other, first, and currently more liked Clinton.  Probably Adams and Roosevelt had to go through this as well, and sure enough, they all came through it okay.  Yeah, if history is any guide, then if Hillary becomes president she will, eventually, become "president clinton."
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 02:44:10 PM »

Bush The 1st 1989-1993
Clinton The 1st 1993-1997
Clinton The 1st 1997-2001
Bush The 2nd 2001-2005
Bush The 2nd 2005-2009
Clinton the 2nd.....?

I think you have touched upon an unspoken theme of this election.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 04:12:14 PM »

Bush The 1st 1989-1993
Clinton The 1st 1993-1997
Clinton The 1st 1997-2001
Bush The 2nd 2001-2005
Bush The 2nd 2005-2009
Clinton the 2nd.....?

I think you have touched upon an unspoken theme of this election.

Bravo, Vorlon.  That's one of the main reasons I am so against a Clinton candidacy.  Not enough to vote Republican if she's the nominee (I would, if they would nominate someone decent -- but all the GOP candidates stink on the issues I care about)...

But I really chafe at the notion of Bush-Clinton-Bush-Clinton.  Then what?  Jeb?  No thanks.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2007, 04:53:27 PM »

But I really chafe at the notion of Bush-Clinton-Bush-Clinton.  Then what?  Jeb?  No thanks.

LOL, Thats the only thing I have against Hillary is the name CLINTON.  If Hillary wins in 2008 and is re-elected in 2012, then barring some catastrophe causing her to leave office early then we will have had a Bush or a Clinton in the Oval Office for 28 years (1989-2017) and a Bush or a Clinton as either President or Vice President for 36 years (1981-2017).

Of course, the way I feel, the name of a person is no reason to not vote for someone.  Plus, looking back, Bill wasn't that bad of a president.  It was just his moral character that stunk.  Of course, Bush hasn't been a whole heck of a lot better.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2007, 04:55:46 PM »

LOL, Thats the only thing I have against Hillary is the name CLINTON.  If Hillary wins in 2008 and is re-elected in 2012, then barring some catastrophe causing her to leave office early then we will have had a Bush or a Clinton in the Oval Office for 28 years (1989-2017) and a Bush or a Clinton as either President or Vice President for 36 years (1981-2017).

Of course, the way I feel, the name of a person is no reason to not vote for someone.  Plus, looking back, Bill wasn't that bad of a president.  It was just his moral character that stunk.  Of course, Bush hasn't been a whole heck of a lot better.

No, he's been a whole heck of a lot worse
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2007, 05:23:21 PM »

No, he's been a whole heck of a lot worse

I can see where you're coming from, as I'm growing increasingly disgusted with Bush.  I can't explain why exactly, maybe its excitement about only 10 months until Election Day and just shy of 13 months until Bush leaves office.

If my family and co-workers weren't so pro-Bush, I would get one of those countdown desk calendars.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2007, 07:20:02 PM »

You're either with Bush, or you're with the terrorists!

Wink

ho ho ho!
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2007, 09:43:06 PM »

That is a gender and culturally insensitive remark.....  You are hereby officially sentenced to listening to Imus for 30 consecutive days..

Smiley
motomonkey
Rookie

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 03:02:26 PM »

No, it is the candidates themselves.  LOOK at their OWN signs.

Hillary Clinton's signs read "HILLARY"
Barack Obama's signs read "OBAMA"

The public is simply calling them by the brand name the candidates selected!
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2008, 05:58:44 PM »

No, it is the candidates themselves.  LOOK at their OWN signs.

Hillary Clinton's signs read "HILLARY"
Barack Obama's signs read "OBAMA"

The public is simply calling them by the brand name the candidates selected!

True. Clinton is probably trying to distance herself, or rather, trying to draw a distinction between herself and her husband and trying to enforce the view that she can shine in her own light, so to speak (or write, whatever). Didn't GW Bush's 2000 campaign signs emphasise the letter "W" as well? This is kinda related to what Angus wrote above - in time, should Hillary become President, when people speak of Clinton, you probably won't have to ask "Which one?". But at the moment she still needs to draw that distinction.
motomonkey
Rookie

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 01:31:26 PM »

Completely agree with your analysis Michael Z as to "why" she did it.  My issue is with those who are complaining about people not giving Hillary Clinton due respect because they refer to her as "Hillary" and not as "Clinton."

Look a the name of this thread:  Will it ever be "Clinton" rather than "Hillary"

No one should complain if we are calling a candidate by the name they print on their signs, bumper stickers, websites, etc. 
The Hack Hater
AloneinOregon
Virgin Islands, British

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2008, 01:33:44 PM »

Well maybe, if she gets elected president.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2008, 02:01:02 PM »

Completely agree with your analysis Michael Z as to "why" she did it.  My issue is with those who are complaining about people not giving Hillary Clinton due respect because they refer to her as "Hillary" and not as "Clinton."

Look a the name of this thread:  Will it ever be "Clinton" rather than "Hillary"

No one should complain if we are calling a candidate by the name they print on their signs, bumper stickers, websites, etc. 

How is the title of this thread a complaint?  I'd call it a question, not a complaint.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2008, 09:10:16 PM »

While in the case of Hillary Rodham Clinton, it is understandable to refer to her as "Hillary", to distinguish from Bill (though if she is elected President, she will be likely President Clinton, just as now President Bush refers to W.); however, it does seem quite common to the refer to female politicians by their first name, which is undesirable since it implies that female politicians are seen as personal friends rather than leaders.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2008, 10:17:55 PM »

Calling her "Hillary" somehow implies she's inferior to the other Clinton, which in almost every aspect is true.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2008, 10:35:44 PM »

While in the case of Hillary Rodham Clinton, it is understandable to refer to her as "Hillary", to distinguish from Bill (though if she is elected President, she will be likely President Clinton, just as now President Bush refers to W.); however, it does seem quite common to the refer to female politicians by their first name, which is undesirable since it implies that female politicians are seen as personal friends rather than leaders.

Which other female politicians are referred to by their first names?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2008, 07:43:56 PM »

Uh yeah. I've never heard anyone say "Speaker Nancy".
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2008, 10:48:45 PM »

None as prevalent as Hillary, but I've heard this many times, both in real life and on this forum.
classical liberal
RightWingNut

Political Matrix
E: 9.35, S: -8.26

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2008, 12:38:06 AM »

None as prevalent as Hillary, but I've heard this many times, both in real life and on this forum.

Inasmuch as this does happen, it is because we are (with notable exceptions Smiley) civilized people here and it is just plain rude to refer to a lady by her surname sans title, e.g. while it is natural to refer to her as Sen. Clinton (i.e. surname with title), when you drop the title the natural form of address becomes either HRC (full name) or Hillary (given name).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies