True U.S. allies
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:08:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  True U.S. allies
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: True U.S. allies  (Read 9256 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2004, 07:32:12 PM »

Why is there no word for anti-Frenchism or anti-Europeanism or anti-Canadianism or anti-nonAmericanism? The only word that exists is anti-Americanism. But in fact whenever the latter word is used it is almost ALWAYS used in a context that can be described by one of the nonexistent words. The lack of words in the English language remind me of Ayn Rand and Geroge Orwell.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2004, 07:32:50 PM »

Now, on with the self-flagelation, foreigners!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2004, 06:07:31 AM »

Why is there no word for anti-Frenchism or anti-Europeanism or anti-Canadianism or anti-nonAmericanism? The only word that exists is anti-Americanism. But in fact whenever the latter word is used it is almost ALWAYS used in a context that can be described by one of the nonexistent words. The lack of words in the English language remind me of Ayn Rand and Geroge Orwell.

Ironically, English has more words than any other language.
Anti-France is "Francophobe" Anti Europe is "Europhobe"... dunno about Canada though
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2004, 02:02:40 PM »

Why is there no word for anti-Frenchism or anti-Europeanism or anti-Canadianism or anti-nonAmericanism?
Francophobe, Europhobe. Anglophobe, too.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2004, 06:39:47 PM »

well ive never traveled abroad, so my interactions with foreigners consists solely of the internet.

ive found that canadians are by far the most arrogant and elitist.  they think theyve got everything figured out.  and god forbid a fellow canadian say anything remotely conservative, or theyll immediately label him/her racist, xenophobe, america-lover, etc.

the brits are a close second behind canadians.  although, i will admit that most of the brits on this board seem friendly and rational.

ive found germans to be the most open minded.  that is sort of ironic because germany seems to be full of anti-americanism.  i even met a german girl online who likes (loves) country music.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2004, 12:59:07 AM »

Well, i'd say Australia is just about the closest friend america could have.

Since world war two, we are the only nation to fight in every war america requested our assistance in, which is basically every war but Grenada. we have just about the worlds' strongest alliance, that both parties support, and the population of Australia is one of very few that like americans. We don't like some elements of america, for sure; mainly the religious conservativism, but on the whole we are pro-american. We don't especially like Bush, and he would never be elected to a governmental position here, but we don't burn the american flag. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the whackos burnt effigies of Bush, but they are certainly not representing the will of the people.

The bond between america and australia is just about as close as possible. We fought side by side in World war two, and your entry helped to save us. We fought together in Korea, reluctantly in Vietnam, in both Gulf wars annd Afghanistan. Australia has always supported america when in need, because america did the same, and we know that america would help australia again if the situation every arose again.

On slightly different notes:

1. There is really only one country that participates in "Anti-Australianism"-Malaysia. All the western world loves us, from France to Canada to Italy and even to New Zealand Smiley The reason? I think it has to do with being good winners.

2. NEW WORLD RECORD 4x100m Women's Freestyle, Olympic Record, Olympic Giold Medallists Athens 2004, AUSTRALIA!!!! Go Alice, petria, Libby and Jodie!!!! W00T!

*Guitar playing*

Wink
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2004, 05:30:45 AM »

1. There is really only one country that participates in "Anti-Australianism"-Malaysia.

I agree you guys are great allies.. thanks!  As for Malaysia, it is interesting that they dislike Australia - why is that?  

Malaysia is a pretty awful place, and Mahathir and his gang are the worst.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2004, 04:25:35 PM »

Since world war two, we are the only nation to fight in every war america requested our assistance in, which is basically every war but Grenada. we have just about the worlds' strongest alliance, that both parties support, and the population of Australia is one of very few that like americans. We don't like some elements of america, for sure; mainly the religious conservativism, but on the whole we are pro-american. We don't especially like Bush, and he would never be elected to a governmental position here, but we don't burn the american flag. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the whackos burnt effigies of Bush, but they are certainly not representing the will of the people.

The bond between america and australia is just about as close as possible. We fought side by side in World war two, and your entry helped to save us. We fought together in Korea, reluctantly in Vietnam, in both Gulf wars annd Afghanistan. Australia has always supported america when in need, because america did the same, and we know that america would help australia again if the situation every arose again.

On slightly different notes:

1. There is really only one country that participates in "Anti-Australianism"-Malaysia. All the western world loves us, from France to Canada to Italy and even to New Zealand Smiley The reason? I think it has to do with being good winners.

2. NEW WORLD RECORD 4x100m Women's Freestyle, Olympic Record, Olympic Giold Medallists Athens 2004, AUSTRALIA!!!! Go Alice, petria, Libby and Jodie!!!! W00T!

*Guitar playing*

Wink

I agree, and I always tell people that the Aussies are our best friends.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2004, 07:50:24 PM »

thorpie, thorpie thorpie thorpie,  thorpie, thoorpie, beats phelps and hoogie and hackett, but mainly pheklps, the arrogant p..erson. :0

*end hijack*
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2004, 04:36:04 PM »

Austrailia is def a true ally... I'm not sure if we can really unclude England as one, rather Tony Blair.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2004, 04:37:11 PM »

Austrailia is def a true ally... I'm not sure if we can really unclude England as one, rather Tony Blair.

and John Major and Margaret Thatcher and................
ThePrezMex
Mexico

Political Matrix
E: 5.25, S: -1.69

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2004, 06:05:47 PM »

Mexico will be a true ally of the United States when I'm President. Although the relationship is always very complicated.
It would be good to discuss the Mexico-US relationship.

Although I really hope I don't have to deal with a President like Carter.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies