Joe Lieberman to endorse John McCain
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:38:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Joe Lieberman to endorse John McCain
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Joe Lieberman to endorse John McCain  (Read 9030 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2007, 08:23:51 PM »

I wouldn't say he "wanted to have it both ways" exactly, but I understand what you mean.  What he wanted was to win re-election, and although I condemn his tactics once the general campaign was under way, his method of ensuring that he kept himself on the November ballot was sensible and intelligent.  He and I probably share the same view that party primaries are merely a way for the respective bases to make themselves feel important, but don't actually need to matter once the general election rolls around.

I still find it amusing that the Democratic party rank-and-file are so hateful towards him when they owe him so much at the moment.

It's not just that; it's basically that he appears to have lied about absolutely everything during his election campaign.  He said he wanted to elect a Democrat as president in 2008.  Nope.  He shifted his rhetoric on the Iraq War closer to the Democrats.  Nope.  The people in Connecticut are, if I recall correctly, pretty strongly of the opinion that they would not re-elect him again if given the option in the present day.

Have whatever opinions you want, but for God's sake, at least be honest about what the people are going to get if you're elected.  It's his fundamental dishonesty that he has shown that I object to, not his opinions themselves.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2007, 09:15:03 PM »

Joe Lieberman's endorsement will really help in New Hampshire, where in 2004 he came in a "three-way tie for third place" (dead last).
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #77 on: December 19, 2007, 04:54:22 PM »

I can't see why Lieberman should feel obliged to support a party that already kicked him out?

What I can't see is why Lieberman still persists in calling himself an "independent Democrat" when he clearly wants nothing to do with his old party.

Why did Zell Miller refuse to join the Republican Party?  The only way he got any media attention was by technically remaining a Democrat.

I liken it to retired Bishop John Spong in my denomination.  Bp. Spong rejects the basic teachings in the Nicene and Apostle's Creeds. But he refuses to leave the Episcopal Church, even though we pledge fealty to these beliefs daily, or weekly. Spong would fit perfectly in the Unitarian-Universalist tradition.  And UU people are fine, wonderful folks!  But why won't he leave our denomination, even though he doesn't believe the historic creeds?

Because the only way he can sell books and get interviewed is by remaining Christian, and rejecting basic Christian doctrine.  If he were Unitarian, he would just be another Unitarian.  If Zell Miller or Joe Lieberman were Republican, who would pay any attention to them?
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #78 on: December 19, 2007, 10:14:27 PM »

Only after he had won the primary, like every other member of the Democratic party.

I cannot believe no one has corrected this.  Exceptions are Sens. Tom Carper, Mary Landrieu, Ben Nelson, Mark Pryor, and Ken Salazar, as well as Reps. Ed Case, Harold Ford, and Brad Sherman.

But I guess "every other member of the Democratic party" sounds better than "every other member of the Democratic party but eight I prefer not to think about."
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #79 on: December 19, 2007, 10:37:35 PM »

Lieberman has stuck to his opinions more than most politicians do. And I thought the primary was supposed to be for Democratic party members? A primary isn't the voice of the people, it's the voice of the party. If your party doesn't want to run you and you still get the support of the electorate I don't see how that flies in the face of democracy at all.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies