Which of these states become "up-for-grabs" if the GOP nominates Huckabee (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:42:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Which of these states become "up-for-grabs" if the GOP nominates Huckabee (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Well?
West Virginia

Virginia

Tennessee

Texas

Kentucky

Arizona

Georgia

Indiana

North Carlonia

Huckabee will lose in a 45 state wipe-out

No, seriously, I honeslty do think that people would consider voting for Huckabee... well, at least consider it

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 58

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Which of these states become "up-for-grabs" if the GOP nominates Huckabee  (Read 5172 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: December 31, 2007, 01:15:21 AM »

wouldn't huck do well in WV? they'd like him for his social conservatism. rudy would lose it because he doesnt have that.

Social conservativsm != love of the religious right. Hardcore religious right candidates like Huckabee never do well in WV. Talk to Al about this.

I voted WV, VA (though I agree with Tweed's statements regarding both) and AZ. I stupidly didn't vote for KY as polls show even Hillary is competitive there.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 02:16:37 PM »

wouldn't huck do well in WV? they'd like him for his social conservatism. rudy would lose it because he doesnt have that.

I agree.  There are enough tongues-speaking, snake-handling Pentecostals and fire-breathing, hellfire Baptists in West Virginia to give Huckabee the state. Possibly handily.

Do you think those are the swing voters? Those are the rare voters that vote Republican on the local level, and the state is far from Republican there. What soulty said is pretty much correct here.

As explained before, WV may be socially conservative, but it is hardly in love with the religious right.

There's a reason Gore and Kerry both lost West Virginia -- and it's not because Billy Bob like George W. Bush's "populism".

In the case of Gore it had to do with him getting written off as an anti-gun and anti-coal extremist, and in the case of Kerry campaigning on all the wrong issues and completely neglecting and abusing the local party machinery, Al can say a lot on this. The bottom line though is it's pretty dumb to expect every election to be like 2000-2004 until the end of time.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 03:53:27 PM »

Uh, by it being a different election with a different situation and different candidates?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 07:26:37 PM »

I love how now so many believe WV has become such a GOP stronghold that it's even safer than states where Bush even got a higher percentage.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 10:18:38 PM »

I love how now so many believe WV has become such a GOP stronghold that it's even safer than states where Bush even got a higher percentage.

Its not that its a stronghold, its that its a place that's pretty well suited to Huckabee and not very well suited for a woman or an African American who have essentially no moderate positions.

Yeah, I'm sure they'll love Huckabee's national sales tax.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies