Atlas Throwback: 1957 edition
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:50:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Atlas Throwback: 1957 edition
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Atlas Throwback: 1957 edition  (Read 1088 times)
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 30, 2016, 10:59:17 PM »

Imagine this is January of 1957:

Do Democrats have anybody who could seriously win in 1960 and manage to unite all wings of the party? I fear they may be in the unfortunate bind where if they nominate someone like Humphrey they risk alienating the southerners to another Strom Thurmond. If they continue to ignore civil rights however they may eventually lose the negro vote again. I fear we may be in a situation in which Eisenhowerism is the way of the future with Republicans controlling the executive branch permanently due to the inherent volatility of the New Deal Coalition.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 03:21:05 AM »

Coke Stevenson/Stuart Symington is mixing an overwhelming personality with a nice, army man. I voted Republican in '48, '52, and '56, but Stevenson, Shivers, and Symington are the Democrats I'd vote for. I'd consider Kennedy, but he's a bit young. His time is more 1964/8.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 12:46:55 PM »

Expect the Democratic ticket with Kennedy on top to overperform in the Northeast, because Kennedy is a Catholic, you see.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 01:41:06 PM »

Expect the Democratic ticket with Kennedy on top to overperform in the Northeast, because Kennedy is a Catholic, you see.
Kennedy won't run, even if he did he has no chance. Either LBJ or Stevenson are going to be the nominee.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 02:11:34 PM »

Also, Rockefeller should run (moderate hero)
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 02:28:52 PM »

I don't think anybody could beat Nixon. Democrats should probably start looking for candidates to run in 1964.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 02:42:09 PM »

Who is Rockefeller? That Health, Welfare + Education director is going no where...
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 02:53:57 PM »

Who is Rockefeller? That Health, Welfare + Education director is going no where...

He does have the money to throw around yet somehow I doubt he has the ability to appeal to the common man in the way that a Franklin or Theodore Roosevelt did. As for Kennedy I'd be surprised if he won the nomination, many of the Democratic machine bosses despite being catholic themselves still remember the debacle of 1928 and wouldn't want to risk that. Also his father was involved in some shady business with the third reich prior to the last war from what I've heard.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2016, 03:05:48 PM »

He does have the money to throw around yet somehow I doubt he has the ability to appeal to the common man in the way that a Franklin or Theodore Roosevelt did. As for Kennedy I'd be surprised if he won the nomination, many of the Democratic machine bosses despite being catholic themselves still remember the debacle of 1928 and wouldn't want to risk that. Also his father was involved in some shady business with the third reich prior to the last war from what I've heard.

Eh. He's the future of the Republican Party.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2016, 03:10:56 PM »

Doesn't matter, Kennedy won't run. Both Roosevelts held the position of Governor of NY prior to them running for President. Even if Rockefeller won against Harriman lost (unlikely against a weak year old cabinet member of Eisenhower's) or ran for Ives' Senate seat he would have 0 chance against a powerhouse like Nixon.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2016, 03:15:36 PM »

Kennedy couldn't even get nominated for vice president last year: no way will he be the Democratic nominee in '60.

As things stand now, I think this is the best case scenario for the Dems:

VP Richard Nixon / Gov. Harold Stassen [REP] 315 EV
Sen. Estes Kefauver / Sen. Hubert Humphrey [DEM] 216 EV

1960 is still a long way out, of course, and a lot can change in three years, but at the moment Nixon and the GOP definitely have the upper hand.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2016, 03:22:21 PM »

I've heard rumors that the Soviets are planning to launch a rocket into space, if that happened it could definitely spell doom for the GOP to have that happen under a Republican administration after all the years of red baiting democrats over communism and the McCarthy hearings.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2016, 03:25:03 PM »

Agree with Truman. Kefauver is a big powerhouse as Democrats failed to pick the correct candidate twice, and probably won't make the same mistake a third. I still think we can win it if we stick to our guns and fight for the values of Truman and FDR.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2016, 08:45:39 PM »

He's the best the Republicans have.

My personal favorite candidates:

1. Coke Stevenson
2. Nelson Rockefeller
3. Allan Shivers
4. Stuart Symington
5. John F. Kennedy

My Uncle Ross lives in Texas, and I've met Stevenson before. He's one of the best men you will ever meet and did a great job as Governor.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies