The Atlasia Concealed Firearm Act of 2004
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:40:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Atlasia Concealed Firearm Act of 2004
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Author Topic: The Atlasia Concealed Firearm Act of 2004  (Read 14207 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: August 19, 2004, 10:53:30 PM »

hmmm, the Constitution says nothing about a tie...we should amend it to allow VPs to vote if there is a tie...
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #101 on: August 20, 2004, 03:35:16 AM »

Because 5 Senators have voted against this bill, the most possible yeas in can get is 5.
so this bill FAILS

Wrong, Senator.  If you had acctually cared about your job as VP while you had it, then you would know that I too get a vote to break a tie.  Geez, kids these days.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #102 on: August 20, 2004, 03:37:53 AM »

C-Span replays clips of my impassioned speech.

I strongly urge all remaining Senators to vote Yea on this bill.  We must afford all citizens, the right to protect themselves.  Denying law abiding citizens the right to self-defense is a terrible reflection of the priorities of this governing body.  Criminals will not abide by the law, in contrary to what these foolish utopians think.  They will continue to carry fire-arms regardless of what any governing athority has to say.  Denying this right to scared, helpless citizens is not only foolish and idiotic, but dangerous.  How will any member of this governing body feel it a woman in your district is killed or raped by some sedistic stalker, simply because she was denied the right to carry a firearm?  

I caution that we not let others fall prey to the foolish, utopian, and down right stubernly idiotic whims of those who oppose this legislation.

I yeild back the floor.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #103 on: August 20, 2004, 06:48:42 AM »

Because 5 Senators have voted against this bill, the most possible yeas in can get is 5.
so this bill FAILS

Hypothetically, couldn't the remaining five vote 'yea' and the VP break the tie?  I don't recall off the top of my head if that privilege belongs to the Atlas VP.

Oh, d'oh!  Shut up, Niles!!

Indeed you are correct Niles, if we have a five-five tie then the Vice President must cast the deciding vote so this is yet to fail.

Super, for the record if you wish, my reason for voting against this was that I don't see much of a point of it, on private property this law is not binding according to its author and it does not apply to government buildings. Also I think this should be a regional issue rather than a Federal issue. If this merely applied to Federal property it would have my support, but it doesn't, it in fact excludes it.

Anyway, I just thought I should justify my vote.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #104 on: August 20, 2004, 09:09:43 AM »

I'll justify my vote too. I believe this bill would put more guns on the street and that leads to the death of innocent people.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #105 on: August 20, 2004, 03:35:00 PM »

I'll justify my vote too. I believe this bill would put more guns on the street and that leads to the death of innocent people.

And how, exactly, Senator, will this stoping this prevent criminals from aquirering firearms?
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #106 on: August 20, 2004, 03:38:18 PM »

Super, please log into AIM.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #107 on: August 20, 2004, 03:39:48 PM »

And how, exactly, Senator, will this stoping this prevent criminals from aquirering firearms?

Mr. Vice President, when someone purchases a firearm, you have no way of knowing what their intentions are.

If you allow someone to legally walk down the street carrying a firearm, who knows what kind of mental health they may be in. They may be drunk, in which case they could accidently shoot someone. It is my personal belief that more guns don't make people safer. In fact, although I see no problem to allowing people to have firearms in their own homes, it should be noted that when people shoot an "intruder" they are more likely to shoot their spouse going to the bathroom than they are to stop an intruder. It is my personal belief that more guns in public places do not make us safer. You may disagree with that, and I respect your right to.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #108 on: August 20, 2004, 04:56:21 PM »

So was this bill defeated?
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #109 on: August 20, 2004, 05:00:26 PM »

Nope, we have five against to two in favour.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #110 on: August 20, 2004, 05:07:44 PM »

thanx.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #111 on: August 20, 2004, 07:05:53 PM »
« Edited: August 20, 2004, 07:07:40 PM by Vice-President Supersoulty »

Mr. Vice President, when someone purchases a firearm, you have no way of knowing what their intentions are.

If you allow someone to legally walk down the street carrying a firearm, who knows what kind of mental health they may be in. They may be drunk, in which case they could accidently shoot someone. It is my personal belief that more guns don't make people safer. In fact, although I see no problem to allowing people to have firearms in their own homes, it should be noted that when people shoot an "intruder" they are more likely to shoot their spouse going to the bathroom than they are to stop an intruder. It is my personal belief that more guns in public places do not make us safer. You may disagree with that, and I respect your right to.

Real cirminals don't purchase firearms over the counter.  If I wanted to I could leave my appartment right now, head down five blocks and buy a gun for $50 from someone on the street.  That's how real criminals get their weapons.  They aren't going to try to get a concealed carry permit, they are just going to carry the damn thing.  

Are you really so foolish that you honestly believe that a criminal who would commit such a crime will obey the law and not carry a concealed firearm?

Would it not make more sense to grant citizens the right to conceal arms for their own personal protection?

And personally, Senator, I believe that you would be whistling a different tune it someone was stalking your sister or your daughter, or your wife.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #112 on: August 20, 2004, 07:11:37 PM »

Real cirminals don't purchase firearms over the counter.  If I wanted to I could leave my appartment right now, head down five blocks and buy a gun for $50 from someone on the street.  That's how real criminals get their weapons.  They aren't going to try to get a concealed carry permit, they are just going to carry the damn thing.  Are you really so foolish that you honestly believe that a criminal who would commit such a crime will obey the law and not carry a concealed firearm?

Would it not make more sense to grant citizens the right to conceal arms for their own personal protection?

If someone walks up to you on a street and points a gun at your head, having a gun yourself wouldn't help you. The criminal would see you reaching into your coat pocket, and he'd kill you right then.

What we need is to have more background checks, and make it harder for criminals to acquire guns, legally or not. That includes increasing funding for police and law enforcement officals. Every gun a criminal gets was gotten from somewhere, we need to make it harder for a gun to pass into a criminals hands. Having a gun yourself doesn't ensure your safety.
Niles Caulder

« Reply #113 on: August 20, 2004, 07:27:40 PM »

Real cirminals don't purchase firearms over the counter.  If I wanted to I could leave my appartment right now, head down five blocks and buy a gun for $50 from someone on the street.  That's how real criminals get their weapons.  They aren't going to try to get a concealed carry permit, they are just going to carry the damn thing.  

Are you really so foolish that you honestly believe that a criminal who would commit such a crime will obey the law and not carry a concealed firearm?

And personally, Senator, I believe that you would be whistling a different tune it someone was stalking your sister or your daughter, or your wife.

Mr. Vice President, that is EXACTLY how criminals buy firearms.  Where did the street vendor buy his stock?--The new stuff is from the stores and from the states where enforcement is lax or non-existant.  As any system of owner registration creating any accountability is a joke, there's a business tier of middlemen "collectors" who buy legally and sell illegally without the first worry of getting caught.  They are not the violent offenders, but they are still "real criminals."

This is relevent to the issue to concealed firearms, in that passing this legislation without first plugging the leaks in accountability of gun owners does create exactly the situation opponants of this legislation state: an increase of guns into the population pool--on both sides of the law.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #114 on: August 20, 2004, 11:04:35 PM »

Hmmm, my bad, the bill isn't dead yet.  But, Mr. VP, I DID care about my job as VP, yet there was NO senate when I was VP, therefore I haven't had *all the experience* you've had.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #115 on: August 21, 2004, 01:47:21 AM »

Hmmm, my bad, the bill isn't dead yet.  But, Mr. VP, I DID care about my job as VP, yet there was NO senate when I was VP, therefore I haven't had *all the experience* you've had.

I know Harry, I'm just playing partisan.  Smiley
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #116 on: August 21, 2004, 01:55:57 AM »

Real cirminals don't purchase firearms over the counter.  If I wanted to I could leave my appartment right now, head down five blocks and buy a gun for $50 from someone on the street.  That's how real criminals get their weapons.  They aren't going to try to get a concealed carry permit, they are just going to carry the damn thing.  Are you really so foolish that you honestly believe that a criminal who would commit such a crime will obey the law and not carry a concealed firearm?

If someone walks up to you on a street and points a gun at your head, having a gun yourself wouldn't help you. The criminal would see you reaching into your coat pocket, and he'd kill you right then.

What we need is to have more background checks, and make it harder for criminals to acquire guns, legally or not. That includes increasing funding for police and law enforcement officals. Every gun a criminal gets was gotten from somewhere, we need to make it harder for a gun to pass into a criminals hands. Having a gun yourself doesn't ensure your safety.

First off, if a criminal knows that I, or someone near me, might have a gun, then they might think twice about trying anything to begin with.  If, however, I cannot carry a concealed firearm because of the law, he can be fairly certain that he has the upper hand.  If I too can carry a firearm, then he will know that he has to sneek up on me, and if he fails, that gives me a chance.  If I have no gun, no matter what I do, he has the upper hand.

Second, this is no solution to the problem.  It doesn't plug the leaks that allow criminals to purchase guns.  Instead, it justs takes them out of the hands of law abidding citizens.  You are suffering for some form of backwards logic here, in that you seek to start at the end goal.  If I were going to organize an anti-gun plan, this would be the last step, not the first.  My first step would be to fix problems with the laws that we have to make it harder for criminals to aquire firm-arms in the first place.  What you have done is to vote to tip the scale decisively in favor of the criminals who already have, or can aquire arms, and don't give a sh**t about the law.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #117 on: August 21, 2004, 07:54:14 AM »

First off, if a criminal knows that I, or someone near me, might have a gun, then they might think twice about trying anything to begin with.  If, however, I cannot carry a concealed firearm because of the law, he can be fairly certain that he has the upper hand.  If I too can carry a firearm, then he will know that he has to sneek up on me, and if he fails, that gives me a chance.  If I have no gun, no matter what I do, he has the upper hand.

Second, this is no solution to the problem.  It doesn't plug the leaks that allow criminals to purchase guns.  Instead, it justs takes them out of the hands of law abidding citizens.  You are suffering for some form of backwards logic here, in that you seek to start at the end goal.  If I were going to organize an anti-gun plan, this would be the last step, not the first.  My first step would be to fix problems with the laws that we have to make it harder for criminals to aquire firm-arms in the first place.  What you have done is to vote to tip the scale decisively in favor of the criminals who already have, or can aquire arms, and don't give a sh**t about the law.

Fine, would you like to draft legislation that provides strciter background checks for people purchasing guns?

If carrying a weapon in public is illegal, a policeman could arrest a would-be-criminal for carrying it.

I think the real question we must grapple with is why we have over 10,000 gun murders per year and other civilized countries have 200. Why are we so violent?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #118 on: August 21, 2004, 08:37:40 AM »

All of this discussion doesn't change the fact that this bill puts more guns on the streets.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #119 on: August 23, 2004, 02:20:48 PM »

All of this discussion doesn't change the fact that this bill puts more guns on the streets.

Voting against this bill takes guns out of the right hands, though.  We want to take guns from criminals, not innocent, law abiding citizens.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #120 on: August 23, 2004, 02:25:03 PM »

Voting will end on Wednesday unless a motion to extend voting for a week is brought to me and supported by a further four Senators.
StevenNick
StevenNick99

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #121 on: August 23, 2004, 03:06:00 PM »

I move to extend voting for a week.

Can I get a second??
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #122 on: August 23, 2004, 03:06:48 PM »

Seconded.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #123 on: August 23, 2004, 04:32:51 PM »

I wish to go against the motion and ask for a vote on the motion.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #124 on: August 23, 2004, 04:39:34 PM »

I wish to go against the motion and ask for a vote on the motion.

Umm, the motion to extend voting time isn't voted upon, it comes into effect if it gains the support of four Senators excluding he who proposed it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies