Congressman William Jefferson Clinton? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:47:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Congressman William Jefferson Clinton? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Congressman William Jefferson Clinton?  (Read 5910 times)
Wakie
YaBB God

« on: January 07, 2008, 12:45:01 PM »

Assuming that Congressman Clinton is as skilled a politician as Governor and President Clinton then I think it is fair to say that he is able to retain his seat throughout the '80s ... gradually rising through the ranks of the party.  Ultimately he would probably have his eye on a Senate seat, but Bumpers and Pryor have those locked up until 2000 and 1997.

Perhaps more important are the implications on the 1992 election.  Taking Clinton out of the mix would lead one to believe that Paul Tsongas gets the nomination and then gets his clock cleaned by Bush.

Changing the White House in '92 has huge implications.  There is no anti-Clinton sentiment to act as a rallying point for the Republicans to seize Congress in '94.

The '96 Presidential election gets very interesting.  The field would be rather wide open on both sides because although Quayle is heir apparent I don't think anyone had any faith in his electability.  As for Clinton, I suspect he runs for (and wins) the Senate seat being opened by the David Pryor retirement.

My prediction is that after 16 years the country would want a change and would elect a Dem President (I imagine a field including Al Gore, Dick Gephardt, Jim Hunt, Doug Wilder, and Bill Bradley).

Whoever would come in would step into the internet boom for their first term.  This would just about guarantee them reelection in 2000.  They would also be guaranteed to experience years of slings and arrows being fired at them by a resentful GOP.  Then 9/11 hits and, I suspect, the White House gets the blame.

In 2002 Clinton seeks a 2nd term in the Senate and wins.

In 2004 Republicans win the Presidency.  But I wouldn't be surprised if going into 2008 Bill Clinton were in the midst of his own bid for the Democratic nomination to challenge the sitting Republican President.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 12:41:37 PM »

I doubt Clinton could have held that district for long.

Considering that the Arkansas 3rd district has been Republican since Hammerschmidt won it in 1966 you're probably right.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies