Mike Huckabee
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:33:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Mike Huckabee
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Do you think Mike Huckabee could be the next US president?
Yes, surely
Yes, maybe
No, surely
No, maybe
I don't know
I want to see the result without voting
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Mike Huckabee  (Read 5840 times)
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 10, 2008, 11:55:26 AM »

Hy!

I open this topic to speak about Mike Huckabee in general.

What do you think about him?

What do you think about his chances for presidency?

Do you think he represents the US far-right? The US furthest-right?

Which policy do you think he will do if ever he is elected?

Where do you think he could drive the USA?

Do you think he could be worse than G.W. Bush? Better?

Do you think his nomination and/or his election could drive GOP on a clear evangelical way for a long time to come?

And more precise questions about something I don't know and I've heard nothing:

Does G.W. Bush supports Huckabee?

Does Huckabee refers to G.W. Bush?

Does Huckabee claim a support from G.W. Bush?

You can answer these questions, some of them or all of them, or simply "enjoy yourself" to speak about Mike Huckabee.

Thanck you
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 04:40:12 PM »

maybe, and that's a big maybe. I'd give him a shot if he were running against Hillary. If he were running against Hillary and Bloomberg, I think Bloomberg might have a shot.

I'd say he's far right only on social issues: on foreign policy issues he's on the right but not the far right, and on economic issues he's pretty moderate.

A Huckabee presidency would probably cement the control of Southern Evangelicals over the Republican party, which would hurt them in the long term.

All in all, I do think he would be slightly better than Bush, he's not arrogant and probably would take global warming and social inequality a little more seriously, but maybe not much better.

As far as I know, Bush hasn't endorsed anyone, and if Bush did endorse or campaign for Huckabee, it would probably hurt him badly.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 04:43:47 PM »

No. He's already got tons of baggage (Dumond, the illegal immigrants from Pakistan gaffe) and has zero appeal to the "blue states", and certainly isn't going to keep all of the red states.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 06:20:20 PM »

No. He's already got tons of baggage (Dumond, the illegal immigrants from Pakistan gaffe) and has zero appeal to the "blue states", and certainly isn't going to keep all of the red states.

Huckabee won't have trouble in most of the "red states."  It's the purple states that he's DOA in, though I will concede that his socially conservative/fiscally liberal positions may play well in places like Pennsylvania and Michigan.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 06:25:09 PM »

I've said before that I'm of two minds. Either the regular guy, populist thing will play with voters and give him a chance to win the swing states (NM, WI, IA, OH, PA) or the fundamentalist Christian thing will backfire and he'll lose in a landslide.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 07:29:09 PM »
« Edited: January 10, 2008, 07:31:43 PM by JSojourner »

Hy!

What do you think about him?

I think he's a theocrat, possibly farther to the right on social issues than George W. Bush.  I put him in the same category as Senators Coburn, DeMint and Inhofe -- dangerous.

I think he is playing the very same game Beelzebush played in 2000.  He's getting critics and media dupes to portray him as "liberal", "moderate" or "a compassionate conservative".  The goal of this?  When the general election rolls around, he'll be able to attract just enough secularist Republican and independent votes -- as well as easily duped Democrats -- who will think, "He can't be THAT bad.  After all, as governor, he raised taxes."  Or, "As governor, he cooperated with Democrats."  We heard the same line of tripe about The Decider in 1999-2000.  Some Texans tried to warn us but America didn't listen.  Huckabee is as bad or worse.

What do you think about his chances for presidency?

Pretty damn good, actually.  The South will be very kind to him.  Probably, the midwest as well.  Bible thumpers and theocrats love this guy.  After all, he said AIDS patients belong in quarantine.  And he believes mentally retarded rape and incest victims should be prevented from obtaining abortions.  Frankly, I am shocked that James Dobson hasn't gone out of his way to endorse Huckabee. But the younger breed of televangelists seem to have glommed right on.  Scarborough, Parsley, etc.

And oh -- I don't think he can win the general.  But I didn't think Bush could either, in 2000.

Not the furthest right.  They are the folks hunkered down in the mountains of Idaho, in the woods of Michigan and the desert compounds of Utah.  But yeah -- I'd place Huckabee about one or two swastikas short of "neo-nazi".  Of course, today's Jew is the homosexual.  But you get the idea.

Which policy do you think he will do if ever he is elected?

Excellent question.  And for him to do anything, Congress would have to cooperate.  So thankfully, we have a layer of protection.  But if he COULD do it -- I bet we'd see taxpayer money routed to groups like "Exodous International", "Focus on the Family" and "Youth With a Mission".
I suspect he would dramatically expand tax cuts for corporations and the fabulously rich.

And I am nearly certain he would bomb Iran whether we were attacked or not.

Where do you think he could drive the USA?

In the same direction we're headed.  In a handbasket.  With the same ignorant smile we've come to know and love from our Dear Leader.

Yes to both.  Anything can happen.  You can't really judge what a President might do based on his record as a Governor.  For example, Huckabee did do some good things for the environment in Arkansas.  I doubt he would as President, but you never know. 

I am not willing to sit on my hands and hope, however.  Every sign points to him being dangerous at worst and another bumbling incompetent at best.  So I will be working extra hard to make sure we put a Democrat in the White House.  As I have said, however, if John McCain wins the GOP nomination -- I won't feel as though the keys to the asylum have been handed from one lunatic to the next.

Do you think his nomination and/or his election could drive GOP on a clear evangelical way for a long time to come?

I have hope for the GOP.  I am meeting more and more Republicans, including some pretty conservative ones, who are either total secularists or -- deeply religious, but not interested in forcing all America to be just like them.  I am hoping, and praying ironically, that we have seen the nadir of the Talibagelicals.  I am hoping that  Huckabee is their "last gasp".

Does G.W. Bush supports Huckabee?

No.  He supports a third term for G. W. Bush.

Does Huckabee refers to G.W. Bush?

It all depends on the crowd he's speaking to.  In New Hampshire and Iowa, the Huckster talked a lot about mistakes we've made in Iraq.  In South Carolina, he'll have more to say about why he supports the war and a tougher line with Iran.  I don't necessarily consider this hypocritical.  At least no moreso than any other politician.  I just points to his ability to game the crowd.  And yeah -- Huckabee is very good at that.

Does Huckabee claim a support from G.W. Bush?

No.  No Republican candidate does.

You can answer these questions, some of them or all of them, or simply "enjoy yourself" to speak about Mike Huckabee.

Thanck you
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 07:34:06 PM »

I've said before that I'm of two minds. Either the regular guy, populist thing will play with voters and give him a chance to win the swing states (NM, WI, IA, OH, PA) or the fundamentalist Christian thing will backfire and he'll lose in a landslide.

I agree, but I suspect the latter.  Not a huge landslide because he'd play very well in the upper South (except Virginia), but he'd lose a good chunk of the purple states (say 325-350 for the Dem).  Wouldn't be a disaster or a landslide probably, unlike Romney.

The reason is his loony tax proposal, not necessarily the fundy Christian thing.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 08:19:46 PM »

I agree, but I suspect the latter.  Not a huge landslide because he'd play very well in the upper South (except Virginia), but he'd lose a good chunk of the purple states (say 325-350 for the Dem).  Wouldn't be a disaster or a landslide probably, unlike Romney.

The reason is his loony tax proposal, not necessarily the fundy Christian thing.

I essentially agree.

Although it'll be interesting to see how much he gets slaughtered in the West and certain, more suburban parts of the East.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 08:22:05 PM »

Does Huckabee's social conservatism and economcally liberal....facade combined with moderate positions on immigration issues allow him to gain ground among hispanic voters?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 09:59:58 PM »

Does Huckabee's social conservatism and economcally liberal....facade combined with moderate positions on immigration issues allow him to gain ground among hispanic voters?

Huckabee/Obama would be an interesting race among Hispanics.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 10:18:58 PM »

Colorado would be a very good micochasm of a Obama and Huckabee race.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 11:11:48 PM »

I have to agree with previous statements, Huckabee would not win any of the 2004 Kerry states, and would certainly not win all the 2004 Bush states.

Bush states at risk for the Republicans with Huckabee as the nominee

Ohio, Iowa, Missouri, Florida, New Mexico, Colorado, Nevada.

Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 11:22:40 PM »

I have to agree with previous statements, Huckabee would not win any of the 2004 Kerry states, and would certainly not win all the 2004 Bush states.

I suspect Huckabee would win Missouri, and have a damn good shot at Colorado and Nevada if Clinton is the nominee.  Iowa, Ohio, and Florida would likely be out of reach, which means Huckabee would likely never be able to become President.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 02:12:53 AM »

Huckabee won't have trouble in most of the "red states."  It's the purple states that he's DOA in, though I will concede that his socially conservative/fiscally liberal positions may play well in places like Pennsylvania and Michigan.

I think the former remains to be seen until at least South Carolina and Florida.  If South Carolina starts a Huckabee sweep of the South, then he may well hold on to most Bush states while still guaranteeing a Democrat victory.  More likely, though, he would be lucky to hold on to even most Dole states.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2008, 03:54:12 AM »

I suspect Huckabee would win Missouri, and have a damn good shot at Colorado and Nevada if Clinton is the nominee.  Iowa, Ohio, and Florida would likely be out of reach, which means Huckabee would likely never be able to become President.

He will hold up the base in Florida and Colorado. I think regardless, the indies in I-4 and South Denver will determine their respective races.
jacob_101

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2008, 07:52:33 PM »

Hy!

What do you think about him?  I like him personally but he has baggage on issues and is out of sync with some mainstream republican values

What do you think about his chances for presidency?   I'd say he has about a 25% chance of winning

Do you think he represents the US far-right? The US furthest-right?  Yes he represents the right on social issues such as abortion and gay marriage, but he is not far right on other domestic/economic issues

Which policy do you think he will do if ever he is elected?  It would be very difficult for him to get any far right policies enacted because the congress will remain Democratic

Where do you think he could drive the USA?   I'm not sure what you mean by this

Do you think he could be worse than G.W. Bush? Better?  This depends on one's personal views of GWB

Do you think his nomination and/or his election could drive GOP on a clear evangelical way for a long time to come?  As long as their is a large Evangelical voting bloc they will have influence no matter which party they support in the future.

Does G.W. Bush supports Huckabee?  Bush has not endorsed any candidate, but once one is chosen he will support that candidate

Does Huckabee refers to G.W. Bush?  Yes on tax cuts and war on terrorism

Does Huckabee claim a support from G.W. Bush?   NO

Thanck you
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2008, 10:16:33 PM »

Very nice personality and interesting guy for loosing so much weight, but crazy politics in some domains.

No, atleast not in the European sense of far-right (FN, MNR, NPD etc); Tancredo would better suit that definition. He represents your typical Christian right-evangelical GOP guy.

Hard to do worse than Dubya. Would be about the same or minimally better than GW.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2008, 12:18:21 PM »

Social, not sophisticated, sympathetic, religious.

Clearly, in this epoch, to me, he has chances!

When I say that, I don't only speak about the US, it seems to me that there are here world trends which can work still for a middle to long term to go, at least for the whole Occident (I'm really not proud of my country with Sarkozy/Royal).

I think this election won't make these trends over, no matter the result of Huckabee.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2008, 01:48:00 PM »

Huckabee would turn the Republican Natl. Convention into the Southern Baptist Convention.  Billy Graham would be proud.

Given Billy Graham's moderate positions on many issues, you might pick another Baptist.  Jerry Falwell is dead.  So maybe Richard Land?
8 out of 11 is not deserved
pollwatch99-b

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2008, 05:34:31 PM »

We need a shot at somebody who can possibly win MI, IA, WI, PA, NJ or other "reachable" states.  I'm hard pressed to see Huckabee having any appeal here.

I think if he is nominated unless Bloomberg is in race, Democrats will win the White House
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2008, 05:36:10 PM »

^^^
jeron
Netherlands
Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -7.48

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2008, 12:48:45 PM »

Huckabee can't win. He's too conservative and he'll lose all those swing states that Bush won(Ohio, New Mexico, Colorado, Florida and Nevada). The Republicans won't be so stupid to nominate him. If they do, the moderate republicans will vote for the Democratic candidate or, in case it's Hillary, stay home.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2008, 02:58:17 PM »

He's right-wing on all the wrong things, and left-leaning on all of the wrong things.

He's the worst possible candidate, IMHO.

Seems like a nice guy, tho.  That counts for something.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2008, 10:40:04 AM »

Huckabee would turn the Republican Natl. Convention into the Southern Baptist Convention.  Billy Graham would be proud.

Given Billy Graham's moderate positions on many issues, you might pick another Baptist.  Jerry Falwell is dead.  So maybe Richard Land?

who is Richard Land, for what is he known?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2008, 10:47:34 AM »

He will likely be out of the race after Florida IMO
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies