Health Care Access Expansion Act of 2007 [Passed]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:29:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Health Care Access Expansion Act of 2007 [Passed]
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Health Care Access Expansion Act of 2007 [Passed]  (Read 2785 times)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 10, 2008, 09:14:20 PM »
« edited: January 26, 2008, 07:12:28 PM by Verily »

Health Care Access Expansion Act of 2007
§1. Findings
  (a) Fifty percent of Atlasian businesses that are considered "small businesses" do not offer health care plans to their employees.
  (b) Small business owners have virtually no leverage for negotiation and limited access to affordable health care plan offerings, limiting the number of Atlasians who are currently insured through their main workplace.
  (c) By pooling these small business health insurance policies, it is expected that the Atlasian Government can negotiate lower rates not only for these small business owners, but for the insurance policies Atlasia currently offers to governmental employees.

CHAPTER 1 - EXPANSION OF THE FEDERAL EMPLOYEES HEALTH BENEFIT PROGRAM
§11. New Name.
     The Federal Employees Health Benefit Program will hence be renamed to the Federal Employees/SBA Health Benefit Program.  (Herein refered to as "the Program.")
§12. Bulk Coverage Negotiation.
     The Program is directed to immediately begin negotiations with private insurers who currently offer coverage to governmental employees.  These negotiations shall be based on the expectation of enrolling one million new Atlasians under the Program.
§13. Competitive Bidding.
     The provisions in §12 shall not be construed as a requirement for the Atlasian Government to renew contracts with existing insurers, or to restrict access to government contracts for health care companies not currently offering plans through the Program.
§14. Expansion of Coverage.
     Any Atlasian business defined as a "small business" by the Small Business Administration (SBA) shall be eligible to seek coverage for their employees through the Program, beginning at the start of FY 2008.  No minimum or maximum employer contribution shall be required to do so.
§15. Employee Choice.
     Employees of "small businesses" participating in the Program shall have the option to purchase any health care plan currently available to Atlasian governmental employees in their state.

CHAPTER 2 - EXPIRATION
§21. Circuit Breaker—Fiscal Savings Requirement.
     This bill will only take effect if the rates negotiated under §12 for fiscal year 2008 are at least 0.5% lower than current rates for each individual health care plan option offered to the Atlasian Government's employees in FY 2007.
§22. Expiration upon Universal Healthcare Passage.
     This bill will be considered repealed any time the Atlasian Government is found to pass a law offering a "universal health care" plan in which a supermajority (two-thirds plus one) of Atlasian citizens are to be enrolled.

(Sponsor: Moderate)

[Although you, Moderate, said to assume this withdrawn if the Universal Health Care Act passed, it changed enough (to only affect the territories and DC) that I suspect you would like for it to be introduced.]
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 03:07:26 AM »

[Although you, Moderate, said to assume this withdrawn if the Universal Health Care Act passed, it changed enough (to only affect the territories and DC) that I suspect you would like for it to be introduced.]

Yes, that is correct.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 01:32:03 PM »

The bill seems rock solid. I like it alot. I just wish we could do the same for the states....
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 08:10:32 PM »

The bill seems rock solid. I like it alot. I just wish we could do the same for the states....

With a national health care bill seemingly unconstitutional, I feel this is a "next best thing" in significantly increasing the number of insured nationwide.  And best of all, it should produce a net savings to the government and to a number of persons who are currently enrolled in privately purchased and COBRA insurance plans.

I thank the Senator for his support, and hope for the speedy passage of this important legislation.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 11:35:38 PM »

This is a great piece of legislation, and I commend Sen. Moderate for coming up with it.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 03:46:33 AM »

This is a great piece of legislation, and I commend Sen. Moderate for coming up with it.

The support is greatly appreciated!
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 09:41:57 PM »

If no one has any further points to debate regarding this legislation, I will motion for a final vote in twenty-four hours.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 01:11:21 PM »

Almost forgot about this one... Anyway. Debate having ceased for over twenty-four hours, I motion for a final vote.

We are now voting on the final passage of the following legislation. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

Health Care Access Expansion Act of 2007
§1. Findings
  (a) Fifty percent of Atlasian businesses that are considered "small businesses" do not offer health care plans to their employees.
  (b) Small business owners have virtually no leverage for negotiation and limited access to affordable health care plan offerings, limiting the number of Atlasians who are currently insured through their main workplace.
  (c) By pooling these small business health insurance policies, it is expected that the Atlasian Government can negotiate lower rates not only for these small business owners, but for the insurance policies Atlasia currently offers to governmental employees.

CHAPTER 1 - EXPANSION OF THE FEDERAL EMPLOYEES HEALTH BENEFIT PROGRAM
§11. New Name.
     The Federal Employees Health Benefit Program will hence be renamed to the Federal Employees/SBA Health Benefit Program.  (Herein refered to as "the Program.")
§12. Bulk Coverage Negotiation.
     The Program is directed to immediately begin negotiations with private insurers who currently offer coverage to governmental employees.  These negotiations shall be based on the expectation of enrolling one million new Atlasians under the Program.
§13. Competitive Bidding.
     The provisions in §12 shall not be construed as a requirement for the Atlasian Government to renew contracts with existing insurers, or to restrict access to government contracts for health care companies not currently offering plans through the Program.
§14. Expansion of Coverage.
     Any Atlasian business defined as a "small business" by the Small Business Administration (SBA) shall be eligible to seek coverage for their employees through the Program, beginning at the start of FY 2008.  No minimum or maximum employer contribution shall be required to do so.
§15. Employee Choice.
     Employees of "small businesses" participating in the Program shall have the option to purchase any health care plan currently available to Atlasian governmental employees in their state.

CHAPTER 2 - EXPIRATION
§21. Circuit Breaker—Fiscal Savings Requirement.
     This bill will only take effect if the rates negotiated under §12 for fiscal year 2008 are at least 0.5% lower than current rates for each individual health care plan option offered to the Atlasian Government's employees in FY 2007.
§22. Expiration upon Universal Healthcare Passage.
     This bill will be considered repealed any time the Atlasian Government is found to pass a law offering a "universal health care" plan in which a supermajority (two-thirds plus one) of Atlasian citizens are to be enrolled.

Aye
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 04:26:24 PM »

aye
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 05:12:35 PM »

Aye.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2008, 09:00:11 AM »

Aye
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2008, 09:06:33 AM »

Abstain
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2008, 01:37:17 PM »

Aye
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2008, 02:46:19 PM »

This bill has enough votes to pass. Senators have twenty-four hours to change their votes.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2008, 05:55:44 PM »

Yes
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2008, 12:58:41 AM »

Result on Final Passage
Aye: 6 (Verily; Speed of Sound; Moderate; Afleitch; Bacon King; Sam Spade)
Nay: 0
Abstain [Voted]: 1 (Ebowed)
Abstain [Didn't vote]: 3 (Friz; Jake; Sensei)

With six in favor, this legislation has passed and is presented to the President for his signature.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2008, 12:50:39 PM »

Aye
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2008, 02:56:24 PM »

Just a reminder to Mr. President that this legislation has two days before it enters into law regardless of his signature.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2008, 05:58:39 PM »

I don't know why I didn't see this sooner. I guess it's been quite a long week for me.

X Colin Wixted
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies