Has the GOP ever nominated a non-Texan Southerner for either prez or VP?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 02:16:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Has the GOP ever nominated a non-Texan Southerner for either prez or VP?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Has the GOP ever nominated a non-Texan Southerner for either prez or VP?  (Read 12476 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 17, 2008, 08:45:21 PM »

Just curious.  I know that the South was solidly Dem. until a few decades ago, but I'm trying to think of a single example from the GOP's entire history when they nominated someone from the South aside from Texas for either president or vice president, and I can't think of any cases where that happened.  (I'd classify "The South" as all the states that were in the Confederacy, plus KY, OK, and WV.  And "nominated from" the state means that they launched their political career there, not that they were born there.  So, e.g., Reagan counts as "from" CA rather than IL.)

The only example that I can think of is Andrew Johnson in 1864, though obviously that's a special case, since he wasn't really a Republican.  There are probably several examples that I'm just not thinking of, but if not, then it might very well happen for the first time in 2008 (or not....still unclear who'll be nominated for either prez or VP).
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 08:50:00 PM »

None that I can tell, although that will probably change in 2008.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 09:31:12 PM »

In theory, Agnew (MD).
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 09:31:23 PM »

Let's see...

Dole?  Nope -- that's Kansas.

Agnew?  Nah -- too much of a stretch to say Maryland is "South", even though it was a slave state.

I think you're right.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 10:15:12 PM »

Let's see...

Dole?  Nope -- that's Kansas.

Agnew?  Nah -- too much of a stretch to say Maryland is "South", even though it was a slave state.

I think you're right.

You are kinda limiting the "South."  By most definitions, Texas was part of the "South" and, at lest until 1950 or so, Maryland would be as well.  It was a slave state that was segregated until the 1950's.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 10:53:31 PM »

Meh, I don't really consider Maryland to be part of the South.  Texas certainly is the South.  I was just wondering if there were any examples outside of Texas.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 07:44:48 AM »

Meh, I don't really consider Maryland to be part of the South.  Texas certainly is the South.  I was just wondering if there were any examples outside of Texas.

And the answer is, "only if you count Agnew".
Maryland is the South, historically. Maryland still is the South, in more ways than not.
Agnew, Baltimore city operator and second-generation Greek immigrant, was certainly not a Southern Politician by any stretch of the imagination, though.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 08:01:10 AM »

Is Indiana the South? Um... wasn't Kemp from NY?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 08:26:47 AM »

No.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 08:47:21 AM »

That kinda was my point.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 08:57:15 AM »

Ah, okay. I think I got your point now. Smiley Your point is that you don't understand Maryland all that well. Tongue
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 01:57:54 PM »

Maryland is south of the Mason-Dixon line.  And it was a slave state.

But it didn't secede.  And Marylanders fought for both the Union and the Confederacy in the Civil War. 

So ask a Marylander if he is a Southerner, and it might depend on how he views the Late Unpleasantness.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 02:32:17 PM »

Barry Goldwater

He was born in Phoenix which is located within the boundaries of the Confederate Arizona Territory (southern half of present day Arizona and New Mexico)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008, 02:34:46 PM »

Barry Goldwater

He was born in Phoenix which is located within the boundaries of the Confederate Arizona Territory (southern half of present day Arizona and New Mexico)

That's really stretching the definition of South.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2008, 02:45:17 PM »

Well, in 1864 the Republican party called itself (for that election), the Union party, and nominated Andrew Johnson (Tennessee) for Vice-President.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2008, 04:28:48 PM »

Depends on if you mean geographically or culturally.  In terms of culture... pretty much, if you don't count Gary and South Bend.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2008, 05:25:39 PM »

Depends on if you mean geographically or culturally.  In terms of culture... pretty much, if you don't count Gary and South Bend.

I think that is the key.

If I'm going by was slavery legal there in 1860, Maryland is a southern state.  If I'm going by segregation in 1950, Maryland is a southern state.

If I'm going by if country music is really popular and agriculture is big, Maryland is a northern state and Indiana is a southern state.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2008, 06:04:14 AM »

Well, in 1864 the Republican party called itself (for that election), the Union party, and nominated Andrew Johnson (Tennessee) for Vice-President.
Oh yes. Funny how no one (including me)
thought of pointing him out. Might I also add, Abraham Lincoln was originally from Kentucky.

I think that is the key.

If I'm going by was slavery legal there in 1860, Maryland is a southern state.  If I'm going by segregation in 1950, Maryland is a southern state.

If I'm going by if country music is really popular and agriculture is big, Maryland is a northern state and Indiana is a southern state.
Huh? What's agriculture got to do with the South? The states where agriculture is biggest are as a rule midwestern, not southern.
The best identifying mark of the south is an at least formerly large rural Black population.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2008, 02:18:06 PM »
« Edited: January 19, 2008, 03:49:48 PM by Mr. Morden »

Oh yes. Funny how no one (including me)
thought of pointing him out.

Except for the first post in the thread, where I said:

"The only example that I can think of is Andrew Johnson in 1864, though obviously that's a special case, since he wasn't really a Republican."
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2008, 02:38:47 PM »

Who reads first posts?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2008, 03:04:06 PM »

Huh? What's agriculture got to do with the South? The states where agriculture is biggest are as a rule midwestern, not southern.
The best identifying mark of the south is an at least formerly large rural Black population.

Traditionally, the South was agricultural, probably at least until 1960.  Further, it wasn't mechanized until after WWII, at least at the same rate as the midwest.

You really didn't see a highly urbanized Black population until well after WWII.  You had pockets, but most of my neighbors had fathers or grandfathers that "came up" from the south, generally after WWII.

It's the untold story in white America.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2008, 03:06:35 PM »

Traditionally, the South was agricultural, probably at least until 1960.  Further, it wasn't mechanized until after WWII, at least at the same rate as the midwest.
Yes, of course. I was talking about current rates of agricultural employment, though.
And re Blacks - with only a handful of exceptions, Blacks in the North are and always have been overwhelmingly urban. Blacks in the South, not much more so (and until 50 years ago, considerably less so) than Whites.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2008, 04:35:39 PM »

Republican Abrahamn Lincoln was born in Kentucky, however, his political career, and his election to the Presidency took place, of course, in Illinois.

Therefore, the GOP has nominated a candidate for President who was born in the south.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2008, 09:00:41 PM »

I hadn't thought about this until I saw this thread, though it looks like there aren't any cases. Part of this is because the pre-1960 South was reliably Democratic. But since 1960 there have been four non-Texan southern Democratic nominees (Carter, Clinton, Gore, Edwards), but none for the GOP. This will probably change this upcoming election, but does anyone have a guess why this has been true the past 50 years?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2008, 09:24:35 PM »

I hadn't thought about this until I saw this thread, though it looks like there aren't any cases. Part of this is because the pre-1960 South was reliably Democratic. But since 1960 there have been four non-Texan southern Democratic nominees (Carter, Clinton, Gore, Edwards), but none for the GOP. This will probably change this upcoming election, but does anyone have a guess why this has been true the past 50 years?

For the first few decades, there weren't any established, electable Southern Republicans outside Texas. Nowadays, the Republicans don't need to pander to the South; they have it locked up. On the other hand, the Democrats are vainly searching for another 1976. It looks like they've finally given up.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies