Has the GOP ever nominated a non-Texan Southerner for either prez or VP? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:07:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Has the GOP ever nominated a non-Texan Southerner for either prez or VP? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Has the GOP ever nominated a non-Texan Southerner for either prez or VP?  (Read 12552 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: January 17, 2008, 08:45:21 PM »

Just curious.  I know that the South was solidly Dem. until a few decades ago, but I'm trying to think of a single example from the GOP's entire history when they nominated someone from the South aside from Texas for either president or vice president, and I can't think of any cases where that happened.  (I'd classify "The South" as all the states that were in the Confederacy, plus KY, OK, and WV.  And "nominated from" the state means that they launched their political career there, not that they were born there.  So, e.g., Reagan counts as "from" CA rather than IL.)

The only example that I can think of is Andrew Johnson in 1864, though obviously that's a special case, since he wasn't really a Republican.  There are probably several examples that I'm just not thinking of, but if not, then it might very well happen for the first time in 2008 (or not....still unclear who'll be nominated for either prez or VP).
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 10:53:31 PM »

Meh, I don't really consider Maryland to be part of the South.  Texas certainly is the South.  I was just wondering if there were any examples outside of Texas.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 02:18:06 PM »
« Edited: January 19, 2008, 03:49:48 PM by Mr. Morden »

Well, in 1864 the Republican party called itself (for that election), the Union party, and nominated Andrew Johnson (Tennessee) for Vice-President.
Oh yes. Funny how no one (including me)
thought of pointing him out.

Except for the first post in the thread, where I said:

"The only example that I can think of is Andrew Johnson in 1864, though obviously that's a special case, since he wasn't really a Republican."
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 12:50:20 PM »

Looks like it's not happening this time either.  In fact, I guess this would be the first presidential election since 1972 in which neither ticket includes a southerner....assuming you don't count Maryland (or Delaware, since, as Joe Biden reminds us, it "was a slave state").

Actually, if you *do* count Maryland as the South, but not Delaware, then this is the first election without a southerner on either ticket since....what?  1944?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 02:53:02 AM »

*bump*

Didn't happen in 2012 either.  Another GOP ticket with two Yankees.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 12:19:10 AM »

Looks like it's not happening this time either.  In fact, I guess this would be the first presidential election since 1972 in which neither ticket includes a southerner....assuming you don't count Maryland (or Delaware, since, as Joe Biden reminds us, it "was a slave state").

Actually, if you *do* count Maryland as the South, but not Delaware, then this is the first election without a southerner on either ticket since....what?  1944?

I don't consider Arizona 'the South', so 2008 didn't have any Southerners either.

I wrote that in 2008, so "this election" obviously referred to the 2008 election.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies