McCain endorsement
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:39:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  McCain endorsement
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: McCain endorsement  (Read 790 times)
M

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 19, 2008, 09:28:08 PM »

I now believe that McCain not only can win Florida, but that he should... a Rudy win would just muddy the waters on the 5th. It was always just a dream, we now know.

Go Mac! Tear Romnard to shreds.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 09:28:57 PM »

The Mac is back!
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 09:29:35 PM »

Are you loving it?
M

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 09:32:41 PM »

I'm working on getting into it... But I like his personality and war policy, his independence, and his non-compassionate-conservatism. Maybe he is better than Rudy. I'm trying to convince myself. But he's way better than everyone else.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 10:00:45 PM »

I'm working on getting into it... But I like his personality and war policy, his independence, and his non-compassionate-conservatism. Maybe he is better than Rudy. I'm trying to convince myself. But he's way better than everyone else.

Well, from my very liberal perspective -- the man is a mainstream conservative, but not a wingnut.  I couldn't vote for him because I am a thousand percent against the war in Iraq.  If Iraq were not an issue, I might be tempted...even though I would disagree with McCain on a host of matters.  He's a guy who would leave me feeling like, even though my liberal candidate of choice lost, the country was in the hands of a good and decent patriot.

Now, that COULD indicate the possibility that McCain has tremendous appeal to Independents and some Democrats.  Remember, I'm from the left wing of the Democratic Party.  So while I might not vote for him, but I still like the guy -- how many moderate and conservative Dems would support him enthusiastically?  Lots, I think.  For several reasons...

1.   He IS conservative on things like spending and taxes.  But he's not one of these conservatives who thinks ALL government is bad government.  He'll spend money if he believes it really makes America better and stronger.  He's not against government.  He's just against BAD government. 

2.   If he thinks the Democrats are right about something, he will sometimes side with them.  He has consistently opposed drilling in the ANWR, for example. 

3.   There's a fair amount of Democratic and Independent sympathy for the man, dating all the way back to 2000.  We knew the man got screwed in South Carolina and that was our first real indicator of the unscrupulous, pestiferous men George W. Bush and Karl Rove were.  We got our own bilious taste of it in 2002 against Max Cleland and in 2004, against John Kerry.  So, we feel McCain's pain.  And there are some Democrats -- particularly those who dislike Hillary Clinton and feel that Barack Obama is great, but needs more experience -- who could vote for McCain.

So you see, John McCain should scare Democrats electorally.  He can win in November.  Maybe even with the war the way it is.  And if it improves, and the economy is status quo or better, well...he's in.

The only thing that might give you Republicans pause is the fact that I like McCain.  That I could support him, if there were no war in Iraq.  If a leftie like me finds the guy appealing (on grounds beyond the obvious, his patriotic sacrifice) -- then you might want to support someone else.  If you're a conservative. 

Either that, or I'm not as hackish as I thought.

Well, no matter.  For me, no issue is as important right now as the Decider's war of choice in Iraq.  Getting out, ending the killing and maiming -- that is my issue.  Other issues matter, to be sure.  But in the face of the hideous lie, the other concerns pale.  So I can't and won't support John McCain.

That said, if he does take the oath of office, he'll be a leader I respect and look up to.  I wish him well.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 10:04:23 PM »

Would we even say he is what Bush I was to Reagan.. the moderate face of compassionate conservatism... a "give us the benefit of the doubt" guy.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 10:05:11 PM »

He has my vote, the greatest gift I have to offer.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 10:46:24 PM »

I'm not switching till after Florida. While I don't expect Rudy to win there, there's just something about McCain that won't let me put him ahead of Rudy. A Florida win would muddy the waters, but I bet Rudy would resurge in NY, NJ, CT, CA, IL, and MO to give him a nice chunk of delegates. But I expect FL to be a tight 4 way race with Rudy ultimately coming in fourth.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies