Hillary Clinton = Richard Nixon?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:01:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Hillary Clinton = Richard Nixon?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hillary Clinton = Richard Nixon?  (Read 2718 times)
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 26, 2008, 12:44:39 PM »

Lots of people draw the comparison between Obama and JFK due to his youthfulness and optimistic rhetoric; some are even inclined to compare him to Reagan, not because of his policial views, but due to his oratory skills and ability to draw in people from other parts of the political spectrum ("Reagan Democrats" versus "Obama Republicans").

However, what about Hillary Clinton? As far as ex-Presidents go, I hate to say that the more I look at her, the more she strikes me as another Richard Nixon. She shares his brooding, Machiavellian tendencies, this tendency not merely to do anything to get into power and keep it, but also in the ways Nixon went out to completely destroy his opponents. This sheer, vindictive hatred for anyone who dares to go up against him - I see the same when I look at Hillary and the way her campaign is mercilessly gunning for Obama, doing anything it takes to undermine his candidacy, be it lying, alluding to race, smearing him. Anything for her to win the nomination. No doubt she'll do the same to McCain or Huckabee or whoever happens to win the Republican vote.

Character flaws aside, there is also the historical analogy between Vietnam and Iraq and Nixon 68 and Clinton 08, and I suspect that once Clinton is in power she would adopt a policy similar to Nixon's "Peace with honor"-strategy by slowly withdrawing troops, as opposed to doing so in an immediate stroke; but that's neither here nor there.

I'll leave any question whether a Hillary Clinton administration would be as maligned and scandal-ridden as Nixon's up for debate.

So there you have it, a race between JFK mkII and Nixon mkII. A fair conclusion?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 12:54:53 PM »

And John McCain = Hubert Humphrey if that is correct. Actually there are some similiarties...
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 01:01:33 PM »

This is a very reasonable comparison and Nixon and Clinton had very reasonable ways of dealing with their respective wars.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 03:29:51 PM »

Let's wait and see Hillary debate Mitt Romney.  If he looks all young, handsome and cool under fire...and she dabs sweat from her high forhead, it could be an extremely apt comparison.

But would Obama be Alger Hiss?  And is Socks the cat the equivalent of Checkers?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 03:30:07 PM »

This is a very reasonable comparison and Nixon and Clinton had very reasonable ways of dealing with their respective wars.

Correct, Nixon escalated his conflict for about 3 years after he went into office.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 03:31:20 PM »

McCain= Nixon. They both narrowly lost races for the Presidency eight years prior to their second try for that same office. Hillary= Hubert. They both supported an unpopular war and defeated insurgent liberals in order to the win the nomination.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 03:33:28 PM »

But would Obama be Alger Hiss?  And is Socks the cat the equivalent of Checkers?
I think you're going a little too far with those analogies... Tongue
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 03:54:03 PM »

LOL!!!!

I suppose.  And Bill Clinton as Pat Nixon is just plain unfair to either of them.  Though she DID play the saxaphone...
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 04:02:14 PM »

Correct, Nixon escalated his conflict for about 3 years after he went into office.

Yes, but we already had our escalation.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 05:51:05 PM »

LOL!!!!

I suppose.  And Bill Clinton as Pat Nixon is just plain unfair to either of them.  Though she DID play the saxaphone...

Plus the Clintons ditched Socks after leaving the White House.  They pawned the poor critter off on some former secretary because it didn't get along with their stupid new dog Buddy.  And that my friends, is why I support Socks the cat in my sig.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 05:54:13 PM »

Huh, what do you call what LBJ did in Vietnam b/w 1964-1968?
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2008, 07:41:42 PM »

Huh, what do you call what LBJ did in Vietnam b/w 1964-1968?

I think what "escalation" refers to here is his bombings and incrusions into Cambodia and Laos. The Iraq analogue would be, I guess, bombing Iran. In which case, God help us all.

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 03:51:19 AM »

2 Clintons = 1 Nixon
elcorazon

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 10:05:49 AM »

Hillary = Ted Kennedy

supported by staunch democrats, has a strong following, very divisive, half of the party views them as either immoral, undeserving (got there thru family connections rather than own abilities), and/or unelectable.  Kennedy's runs for president in 76 and 80 are reminiscent of Hillary's current run. He seemed like he ought to win, but ultimately the people couldn't actually support the guy.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 12:13:22 PM »

Hillary = Ted Kennedy

supported by staunch democrats, has a strong following, very divisive, half of the party views them as either immoral, undeserving (got there thru family connections rather than own abilities), and/or unelectable.  Kennedy's runs for president in 76 and 80 are reminiscent of Hillary's current run. He seemed like he ought to win, but ultimately the people couldn't actually support the guy.

...or an Al Smith or Michael Dukakis. Someone that was sort of shoved down people's throats and the only reason that the Dems survived was because the victor was just so bad.
P.J. McDuff
Rookie

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2008, 09:54:13 AM »

Clinton: Dukakis works for me actually. Except letting her in an armoured vehicle may not be advisable.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies