Who would Jesus have voted for in the presidential elections? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:56:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Who would Jesus have voted for in the presidential elections? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who would Jesus have voted for in the presidential elections?  (Read 17722 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« on: January 28, 2008, 04:25:27 AM »

2004: Michael Peroutka
2000: Pat Buchanan
1996: Bob Dole
1992: Ross Perot
1988: Ron Paul
1984: Ronald Reagan
1980: Ronald Reagan
1976: Jimmy Carter
1972: Richard Nixon
1968: George Wallace
1964: Barry Goldwater
1960: Richard Nixon
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 04:23:09 PM »

Because he was immoral.

I don't believe in human sacrifice and I refuse to accept them, frankly.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 05:03:32 PM »

WTF!? Go get a life. Without Jesus, America would be rules by Pagans that would probably persecute you Athiets, asshole. Haven't you noticed that almost every single Christian nation is a Liberal Democracy. We respect your rights.

I have a life.

Without Jesus, America would probably be ruled by.. actually, that's sort of a stupid speculation, isn't it?  Christianity is just another religion.  I'm sure it made many positive contributions to the philosophies of many Americans who were heroes in many different ways.  I'm not going to give your religion credit for the founding of the nation, though.  Not every founding father was a Christian anyway.

What I don't understand is why I can't say that Jesus was immoral without being told to get a life, but you, an adherent of Jesus, can call me an asshole because I have a different viewpoint than you do.  Christians call atheists immoral all the time.  They seem to think it is inherent within our very framework.  I don't think Christians are immoral.  Some are, certainly.  My contention is that Jesus himself was immoral.  If you want my reasons, I'm happy to give them to you.  But I also know that I'm not going to be able to convince you because you hate the very idea that someone could reject your God.

And, for the record, I respect your rights as much as anyone else's.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 03:56:06 AM »

1. He was, literally, killed in the form of a human sacrifice.  Old Testament Jews regularly sacrificed animals to appease God for their sins.  I find animal sacrifice to be revolting enough, but the idea that we could only gain acceptance from God if a human being (his own son, no less) was sacrificed strikes me as horribly immoral.
2. Jesus affirmed the holiness and correctness of the Old Testament, which is in itself a very immoral piece of literature, in its condoning of animal sacrifice, its treatment of homosexuals, its sanctioning of excessive capital punishment, and genocidal invasions by the Israelites of other people in the same area of the world.
3. Jesus' views on marriage and divorce have caused endless subjugation of women and the continued tolerance of domestic abuse, marital rape, and unequal treatment.  Divorce was outright prohibited in one gospel, while another quoted Jesus as only making an exception for infidelity.  My view of morality dictates that if a person, or both people for that matter, are hopelessly unhappy in a marriage, whether because of abusive treatment or anything else, it is extremely offensive to deny them the right to annulment.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 06:05:35 PM »

If you do not have at least some respect for the founding of a particular belief, then how can you have any respect for the belief? 

By being a former Christian.  I understand as well as I can why he says what he does.

I don't think it's inherently disrespectful or offensive to suggest that the founder of a religion was immoral.  Muhammed is accused of being a child molester on a frequent basis, but some of his doctrines may have good in them.  The fact of the matter is that both Christianity and Islam are influenced much more by their adherents than their founders.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 06:19:59 PM »

I don't think it's inherently disrespectful or offensive to suggest that the founder of a religion was immoral.

Don't be disingenuous. How could it not be?

How else am I supposed to make that assertion?  It's not like I'm going after Jesus by making s**t up or whatever.  I'm just using what's written in the Old & New Testaments and my personal interpretation of morality.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies