The all-purpose religious affiliation poll!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:08:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  The all-purpose religious affiliation poll!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: What's your religion?  The one you actually believe in, not just "culturally inherited."
Christianity

Judaism

Islam

Buddhism

Hinduism

Other

Deist

Agnostic/atheist

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 80

Author Topic: The all-purpose religious affiliation poll!  (Read 17014 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2008, 04:21:20 PM »

The general notion of deism does indeed tend to include the idea that God does not interfere with the universe.  However, it's also basically the best word we have for the idea of someone who believes in God, but who arrived at that belief through reason and logic rather than belief in supernatural revelation, and who rejects the core beliefs of all official religions (besides the existence of God, of course).
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2008, 07:53:38 PM »

I am a Jew, and proud of it.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2008, 08:11:34 PM »

The general notion of deism does indeed tend to include the idea that God does not interfere with the universe.  However, it's also basically the best word we have for the idea of someone who believes in God, but who arrived at that belief through reason and logic rather than belief in supernatural revelation, and who rejects the core beliefs of all official religions (besides the existence of God, of course).

Theism?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2008, 12:43:44 AM »

Theism?

I believe that the usual definition of theism includes no such rejection of supernatural revelation; a follower of a religion would be a theist, but not someone who simply believes in God due to logical deduction or extrapolation.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2008, 05:02:46 PM »

Theism?

I believe that the usual definition of theism includes no such rejection of supernatural revelation; a follower of a religion would be a theist, but not someone who simply believes in God due to logical deduction or extrapolation.

Ah. The confusion of this discussion has really been something else. I apologize for the extent I'm responsible. If I were that kind of person I'd say that with all this explanation, my question still stands: what's with the deism, people? Smiley
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2008, 11:08:20 PM »

I voted Christian, but I prefer Protestant Wink
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies