Judaism
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:32:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Judaism
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14
Author Topic: Judaism  (Read 57097 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: August 27, 2008, 10:36:30 PM »

I see what you're getting at now.
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #126 on: August 27, 2008, 10:37:21 PM »

good.
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #127 on: October 21, 2008, 08:30:45 PM »

here is a good question.

why are Christan's so mean to Jews if they are suppose to be nice to everyone?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #128 on: October 21, 2008, 10:20:50 PM »

Explain. Are you talking about Jewish stereotypes or what? Many Christians adore the Jews (chosen people of God).
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #129 on: October 21, 2008, 10:37:31 PM »

here is a good question.

why are Christan's so mean to Jews if they are suppose to be nice to everyone?

As a crude cut at it, Jews are off the radar screen for "Christians" at the moment, and Muslims on it, along with some the usual suspect secular humanists, but the latter is old news. In short you are referring to a rather pronounced waning rather than waxing phenomenon. JMO.
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #130 on: October 21, 2008, 11:13:07 PM »

Explain. Are you talking about Jewish stereotypes or what? Many Christians adore the Jews (chosen people of God).

Pit, pascel thinks jews are not the choosen people of god. He started having a fit. I asked him what was so bad and he went on a rant. It was crazy. And people get meaner to me when I say I am jewish.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #131 on: October 21, 2008, 11:16:43 PM »

Pit, pascel thinks jews are not the choosen people of god. He started having a fit. I asked him what was so bad and he went on a rant. It was crazy. And people get meaner to me when I say I am jewish.

He's French. Most of the most fervent French-bashers, according to him, are Jewish. That aside, who exactly gets meaner to you when you say that you're Jewish?
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #132 on: October 21, 2008, 11:21:21 PM »

lets see ben, India, spenser  and some people you don't know, they are friends of my moms.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #133 on: October 21, 2008, 11:35:55 PM »

Anti-Semitism in America usually has to do with Jews' apparently disproportionate power and wealth compared with their size in the population.  Like Torie says, outward anti-Semitism, especially from Christian sources, is on the decline.

Traditional anti-Semitism has to do with a deep-rooted problem in Christianity: the Jews rejected Jesus, plotted to kill him, and handed him over to the Romans.  Early Christians asked themselves, "If Jesus was the Son of God, the long-foretold Messiah, why would God's own Chosen People reject him?"  This question led to a deep-seated conviction among early Christians that the very existence of Jews was an argument against their religion.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #134 on: October 23, 2008, 08:44:26 AM »
« Edited: October 23, 2008, 11:24:43 AM by jmfcst »

Traditional anti-Semitism has to do with a deep-rooted problem in Christianity: the Jews rejected Jesus, plotted to kill him, and handed him over to the Romans.  Early Christians asked themselves, "If Jesus was the Son of God, the long-foretold Messiah, why would God's own Chosen People reject him?" 

well, if they were truly asking that question, they needed only to read their bibles for the answer:

Rom 11 "Did they stumble so as to fall beyond recovery? Not at all! Rather, because of their transgression, salvation has come to the Gentiles to make Israel envious. 12But if their transgression means riches for the world, and their loss means riches for the Gentiles, how much greater riches will their fullness bring! ...Israel has experienced a hardening in part until the full number of the Gentiles has come in. And so all Israel will be saved."

So, God hardened the heart of the Jews thus leading to their rejection of Jesus, which enabled salvation to be preached to the Gentiles.  Once all the Gentiles who are to be saved are saved, then God will unharden the heart of the Jews so that they will then accept Jesus and thus salvation will come to Israel.

It can't get any more clear cut than that.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #135 on: October 24, 2008, 10:45:20 PM »

"early Christians" didn't have a NT, jmf.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #136 on: October 26, 2008, 11:07:18 PM »

"early Christians" didn't have a NT, jmf.

as if the Gospel can't be preached from the OT?!...if they didn't have Paul's letter to the Romans, they at least had the OT which was the basis for Paul's letter:  The story of Joseph takes up the last 15 chapters of Genesis...so the dude is quite important.

Where the sons of Jacob rejected by God because they rejected Joseph?  Not at all, rather it was because of their rejection that Joseph was sent to the Gentiles to provide salvation to the Gentiles, and, after he provided salvation to the Gentiles, he then also provided salvation to the sons of Jacob who had rejected him.

© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #137 on: October 26, 2008, 11:48:36 PM »

you cited Romans...

and are you saying the Law of Moses was still valid in the interval between the death of Jesus and the compiling of the NT?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #138 on: October 27, 2008, 12:28:50 AM »

you cited Romans...

and are you saying the Law of Moses was still valid in the interval between the death of Jesus and the compiling of the NT?

huh?!

yes, I cited Romans...and Romans cites the OT...and I stated that the Gospel can be preached out of the OT...

...all of which has nothing to do with the fact that the Law of Moses was superceded by the New Covenant at the moment of Christ's death upon the cross.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #139 on: October 27, 2008, 01:52:33 AM »

my issue came from you citing a passage in the NT and saying that early Christians should have "read their bibles" when no such "bibles" existed at the time.  it's a slight inconsistency is all.  I'm not disputing the the fact that the NT is rooted in the OT.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #140 on: October 27, 2008, 03:05:36 AM »

my issue came from you citing a passage in the NT and saying that early Christians should have "read their bibles" when no such "bibles" existed at the time.  it's a slight inconsistency is all.  I'm not disputing the the fact that the NT is rooted in the OT.

ok, I intially didn't know how "early" you meant by "early Christians"
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #141 on: October 27, 2008, 08:42:26 AM »

ok, I intially didn't know how "early" you meant by "early Christians"

the phrase usually refers to Christianity between the crucifixion and the First Council of Niacea.  much like "Bolshevist Russia" refers to the period between the October Revolution and the formation of the Soviet Union.  the NT wasn't even fully compiled for a few centuries after the Council, though some / a lot of the texts that would eventually would find their way into the NT were floating around for those who knew where to look.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #142 on: October 27, 2008, 12:56:24 PM »

Is somebody whose mother is Jewish always considered a Jew, or do they have to make a decision to accept the law to become Jewish?
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #143 on: October 27, 2008, 08:21:33 PM »

If the mom is Jewish they are a Jew, but not considered one in the temple. Not till they get baptized. Basically they are not going to get a botmitzah or batmitzhah until they are baptized.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #144 on: October 27, 2008, 08:32:13 PM »

Is somebody whose mother is Jewish always considered a Jew, or do they have to make a decision to accept the law to become Jewish?

The Orthodox consider anyone who's mother was a Jew a Jew.
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #145 on: October 27, 2008, 08:42:22 PM »

basically. If the mom is Orthodox the child will have been baptised since she or she was one.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #146 on: October 27, 2008, 08:46:23 PM »

basically. If the mom is Orthodox the child will have been baptised since she or she was one.

We don't have baptism.
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #147 on: October 27, 2008, 08:54:14 PM »

We don't have baptism.

huh I don't understand your statment.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #148 on: October 27, 2008, 08:58:14 PM »

We don't have baptism.

huh I don't understand your statment.

Jews don't practice baptism.  They practice a water cleansing ritual, mivkah, but it's not equivalent.  More similar is the hand-washing practices, which in the Bible used the same word as "baptism."  They're still not the same thing, though.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #149 on: October 27, 2008, 09:00:25 PM »

I laughed. I'm so sorry.  At least the word "baptism" was used rather than "christened"...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies