Judaism
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:46:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Judaism
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14
Author Topic: Judaism  (Read 57130 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2008, 01:58:23 PM »

I have mixed feelings about Judaism. Most people I know that are Christian or Muslim I consider to be good friends. As far as Jews go, half of them are good friends & half of them are blood enemies.

As far as the religion itself goes, I have no real opinion about it. One of the advantages of being Atheistic. Wink
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2008, 04:20:53 PM »

Positive overall. But I still personally think they missed the proverbial boat.

And I still think you guys jumped the proverbial gun.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2008, 04:23:40 PM »

& I still think both of you guys are on the proverbial wild goose chase.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2008, 11:38:30 PM »

& I still think both of you guys are on the proverbial wild goose chase.

So say you.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2008, 11:45:30 PM »

Question:

A friend of mine and myself passed by this Jewish temple in my neighborhood, once.  I'm fairly certain they are Conservative.  She wanted to go in and take a look, but I didn't think that was such a good idea.  She said that she couldn't see why they would mind us going in to look at the place, after all, she reasoned, Catholic Churches allow don't mind.

Me knowing that that's not exactly the way the world works again stated that I didn't know what the custom was and thought it would be a bad idea for us to just pop in.

Any thoughts?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2008, 11:55:43 PM »

Question:

A friend of mine and myself passed by this Jewish temple in my neighborhood, once.  I'm fairly certain they are Conservative.  She wanted to go in and take a look, but I didn't think that was such a good idea.  She said that she couldn't see why they would mind us going in to look at the place, after all, she reasoned, Catholic Churches allow don't mind.

Me knowing that that's not exactly the way the world works again stated that I didn't know what the custom was and thought it would be a bad idea for us to just pop in.

Any thoughts?

As far as I know, they wouldn't have minded, although if you entered the Sanctuary, they may have required you to wear a Kippah, and if it was Orthodox, you and your friend would've had to be on the opposite sides of the room (since services are gender split).
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2008, 12:08:06 AM »

Question:

Any thoughts?

As far as I know, they wouldn't have minded, although if you entered the Sanctuary, they may have required you to wear a Kippah, and if it was Orthodox, you and your friend would've had to be on the opposite sides of the room (since services are gender split).

Thank you.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2008, 12:09:38 AM »

Question:

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

Anytime Smiley
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2008, 12:17:17 AM »

As Ben said, they would probably make you wear a head covering in the Sanctuary, but otherwise, Temples/Synagogues tend to be very open as long as you aren't obviously dangerous.  I wouldn't suggest popping into an Orthodox one, just because you'd stand out so thoroughly and the Orthodox tend to be a pretty insular bunch, but Reform and Conservative congregations are usually not only willing but eager to interface with the outside world.  After all, those are the branches of Judaism that value blending in with the Gentile world and take great pains to avoid seeming alien or unwelcoming.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2008, 12:22:10 AM »
« Edited: August 22, 2008, 12:24:16 AM by Supersoulty »

It might not have helped that I had just eaten bacon and cheese before we passed it.  Smiley

But I ate it at a Jewish owned bagel place... go figure.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2008, 12:33:04 AM »

The Venn diagram of Judaism as an ethnicity versus a religion always fascinates me, since I feel the vibes very faintly as an near atheist "WASP." Where does ethnicity and 'tribalism" end and religion begin, or visa versa?
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2008, 12:42:07 AM »
« Edited: August 22, 2008, 12:46:23 AM by Ronnie »

If I am a conservative Jew, what am I politically?

Heh

Seriously now, I am a Jew, but I seem like I practice less of my religion every day.  I used to go to Shabbat services every day, but now I just go to Temple on high holidays.  Keeping Kosher has been tough for me, but I still do it just because I know I would be letting my family down and would feel extremely guilty if I stopped.

A lot of it has to do with laziness, I say.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2008, 12:48:34 AM »

Heh

Nice joke.

Seriously, though, probably a hawkish socially-and-economically-moderately-liberal Democrat who doesn't want his kids to be gay or his daughter to have an abortion but doesn't want those banned.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2008, 12:53:44 AM »

Heh

Nice joke.

Seriously, though, probably a hawkish socially-and-economically-moderately-liberal Democrat who doesn't want his kids to be gay or his daughter to have an abortion but doesn't want those banned.

Change it to moderately-conservative Republican, and you're right on the money. Wink 
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2008, 09:23:51 PM »

Keeping Kosher has been tough for me, but I still do it just because I know I would be letting my family down and would feel extremely guilty if I stopped.

Really? It shouldn't be too hard.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2008, 10:02:04 PM »

Keeping Kosher has been tough for me, but I still do it just because I know I would be letting my family down and would feel extremely guilty if I stopped.

Depends on how strict you are.  My friend doesn't eat shellfish or pork, but she says she can't do the no meat/milk thing, because it's too hard to remember.  There are a lot of laws, so it gets easier the more lax you are.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2008, 11:09:29 PM »
« Edited: August 22, 2008, 11:12:11 PM by The Sargeant of Police »

Not mixing dairy products and meat in a meal is intense.  My friends who do it have to constantly be on their watch.  A chicken caesar salad isn't kosher!

Also, having to make sure any animal you eat was bled.  That guarantees that you can only be comfortable buying meat from the kosher butcher.

Most people I know who are serious about keeping kosher end up becoming at least functional vegetarians, because it simplifies everything.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2008, 11:17:47 PM »

Not mixing dairy products and meat in a meal is intense.  My friends who do it have to constantly be on their watch.  A chicken caesar salad isn't kosher!

Also, having to make sure any animal you eat was bled.  That guarantees that you can only be comfortable buying meat from the kosher butcher.

Most people I know who are serious about keeping kosher end up becoming at least functional vegetarians, because it simplifies everything.

Exactly.  And I have to separate my silverware and plates in according to if they are meat or dairy.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2008, 11:25:14 PM »

Exactly.  And I have to separate my silverware and plates in according to if they are meat or dairy.

My friend tried doing that for a while, but she says the rest of her family, especially her younger sister weren't able to do it.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2008, 12:25:10 AM »

My friend tried doing that for a while, but she says the rest of her family, especially her younger sister weren't able to do it.

Ah yes, milk & meat. If I were Jewish, I would convert to something else as soon as possible because of that. I couldn't imagine life without cheeseburgers. Tongue
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2008, 12:35:36 AM »

Ah yes, milk & meat. If I were Jewish, I would convert to something else as soon as possible because of that. I couldn't imagine life without cheeseburgers. Tongue

...Are they good?

*waiting for obvious response*
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2008, 12:52:53 AM »

...Are they good?

*waiting for obvious response*

. . . Depends on the cheeseburger. Wink
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2008, 01:08:24 AM »

Well when you are a jew you are suppose to have a light inside of you and each time you sin the light gets dimmer. And you only have one time of year to0 repent.

If you are a jew but dont exactly follow all the 300 sum laws you are not sinning. Basically as long as you respect your parents and follow the right morals you are a good jew.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2008, 01:10:33 AM »

Well when you are a jew you are suppose to have a light inside of you and each time you sin the light gets dimmer. And you only have one time of year to0 repent.

If you are a jew but dont exactly follow all the 300 sum laws you are not sinning. Basically as long as you respect your parents and follow the right morals you are a good jew.

What is this time of year that you repent? I know that Atheists repent on April 15. Wink
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2008, 01:11:39 AM »

Do you find BLT Bagels ironic?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies