Judaism (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:41:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Judaism (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Judaism  (Read 57225 times)
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: December 31, 2008, 01:11:58 AM »

I really don't know what to say. I've studied the Talmud since I was 8 years old, and all I can say is that to really understand what the Talmud is can take quite some time and intensive studying. It's not as simple as just opening up somewhere and reading through a few lines. Of course, you can do that, but I have no idea what you should go for.

Thanks anyway.

For a line-by-line translation of the Talmud a good company is ArtScroll. It includes the literal translation along with the way it should be read to make sense using commentaries. It is slightly confusing at first to follow what is what, but if you are really interested that would be your best bet. I've used it to help me study the Talmud and it's put together very comprehensively.

Hope this isn't too late.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 01:23:35 AM »

I consider myself Conserva-dox, combination between the two. I went to Jewish private school through high school but I am not the most religious. Granted, there are many things I feel guilty about doing still and cannot bring myself to do, while others I am more comfortable breaking. In short, it's complicated.

But I've had my fair share of experience learning the Torah and Talmud with commentaries and all. I'd say for almost any Jewish scripture ArtScroll would be the way to go. But I should warn you, very expensive. Like, I don't know how they get away with charging that much but, hey, it's religion. Can't do anything about it.

There is also a vast wealth of information online. It may be to your benefit to go to Torah.org and check around there for information on sources for learning. I'm sure they have something up there or you can contact them for information. I know they have an "Ask a Rabbi" email thing to get information about laws and learning.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 08:31:54 AM »

Fast day today. One of six in the year.

And what a joyous one it is.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 05:54:56 PM »

The next couple of days quite important in the Jewish calendar. Ta'anit Esther tomorrow, followed by Purim. Those of you who live near Orthodox areas will probably notice a lot of partying going on.

Only after a nice day of non-partying. Jews perfected the "calm before the storm" idea.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 08:48:29 PM »

The reason this sounds funky is because of the semantics that occur when writing in the original hebrew/aramaic.

The Talmud is not saying non-Jews (Goyim) are not humans, nor is it saying that they shouldn't be considered as such. However, there are different ways of saying man in hebrew. In this case, the Talmud is saying that in cases when the term "Adam" is used to describe man in scripture, it is in reference to Jews, as is extrapolated by the similar use in the verse from Ezekiel. This simply means that, because there was a case when Adam could only have been referring to Jews, we bring the term to specifically refer to Jews.

To sum up, Jews are referred to as "Adam" while non-Jews are referred to using different language meaning the same thing. It is difficult to tell because of the translation though. I hope this clears things up.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 05:23:48 PM »

Happy Shavuot tonight. While I don't plan on staying up all night learning, I hope those that do enjoy their night and the rest of the holiday.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 07:01:12 PM »

Happy Shavuot tonight. While I don't plan on staying up all night learning, I hope those that do enjoy their night and the rest of the holiday.

I don't plan to stay up all night, but I'll be up later than usual, reading.  I haven't decided what to read, although I'll probably read Ruth.  Any other suggestions?

Numbers 33 has a nice compilation of the travels of the Jews between Egypt and Mt. Sinai.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 12:35:18 AM »

you're supposed to pull an all-nighter to celebrate?

Oh, much to still learn about my religious observance.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies