Reducing the Number of Abortions
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:32:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Reducing the Number of Abortions
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which President Did the Most to Reduce the number of abortions in the USA?
Nixon

Ford

Carter

Reagan

H.W. Bush

Clinton

Shrub

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 10

Author Topic: Reducing the Number of Abortions  (Read 2753 times)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 28, 2008, 04:46:52 PM »

Well?
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 04:48:08 PM »

Clinton
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 04:56:50 PM »

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 05:00:59 PM »

None of them, obviously.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 05:25:40 PM »

True, sadly.  There are way too many young babies in this country being murdered at the womb.

I believe life begins at conception, so any abortion is, in my opinion, the equivalent of first-degree homicide (the taking of a living, breathing human being) and should be punishable by life in prison without parole at the very minimum.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 05:28:36 PM »

Abortion rated fell under Bush 1 but took a heavier than expected dive under Clinton's presidency before flatlining with a gradual decrease since then.

Of course whether any individual President influenced that is debateable.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 06:01:03 PM »

The policies and proposals of a President CAN reduce the number of abortions.  The drop in the abortion rate during the Clinton years is evidence of that.  I make no bones, however, about the fact that the abortion rate would have dropped substantially more -- even national RTL admitted by 300 thousand -- under the 1998 Daschle Amendment.  (Which, by the way, the supposed "pro-life" movement rejected.)

As to putting abortive mothers in jail for life without parole -- with about a million abortions a year -- where shall we house them?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 06:24:37 PM »

As to putting abortive mothers in jail for life without parole -- with about a million abortions a year -- where shall we house them?

And of course, what shall we do with their kids? Particularly if they are the only breadwinner. Not only more prisons but more care homes.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 06:35:06 PM »

And of course, what shall we do with their kids? Particularly if they are the only breadwinner. Not only more prisons but more care homes.

Not a problem for conservatives.  The free market/trickle down fairies will take care of everything.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 07:20:32 PM »

and not to sideline the thread, but how many people are already in jail? ...and we want to put another 1 million in jail. Some conservatives want to put another 1 million homosexuals and 1 million union members in jail. This is getting old too fast. Soon, I will be in jail.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 01:07:49 PM »

and not to sideline the thread, but how many people are already in jail? ...and we want to put another 1 million in jail. Some conservatives want to put another 1 million homosexuals and 1 million union members in jail. This is getting old too fast. Soon, I will be in jail.

I was going to scold you and say conservatives do not want to put gays in jail.  But actually, some conservatives still support sodomy laws that, at least technically speaking, would do just that.  The operative word, though, is some.  All or most would be a stretch.

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 01:16:15 PM »

I said SOME... Tongue ... I wonder if their attitudes change if they are able to get more power. People start thinking differently about things once they notice they can do things they thought they couldn't do.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 04:55:22 PM »

Ok, I'll admit, I was speaking out of rage with abortion about putting the mothers and doctors in prison.  What we need to do, really, is not imprison them, but talk to them and continue the deterrence programs that are out there.  I do disagree with the majority of pro-lifers when I say this -- DO NOT OVERTURN ROE.  To me, if you overturn Roe that would just make things a whole heck of a lot worse than they are now, and they are already horrible.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 05:08:00 PM »

Ok, I'll admit, I was speaking out of rage with abortion about putting the mothers and doctors in prison.  What we need to do, really, is not imprison them, but talk to them and continue the deterrence programs that are out there.  I do disagree with the majority of pro-lifers when I say this -- DO NOT OVERTURN ROE.  To me, if you overturn Roe that would just make things a whole heck of a lot worse than they are now, and they are already horrible.

So, you too think that the solution is voluntary detterence.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 05:59:31 PM »

Yeah... I don't think we could really give any president credit for the fluctuating rate of abortions.

Though needless to say I don't think programs like abstinence only education would help much.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2008, 10:14:27 AM »

Why would pro-choicers want to reduce the numbre of abortions? If the fetus is just a parasitinc clump of cells, why should we care about whether they are aborted or not? Because they are needed to pay for the Social Security shortfall?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2008, 10:17:46 AM »

I would quite interested to see figures on abortion matched up to a)Economic Growth and b)Unemployment.

Why would pro-choicers want to reduce the numbre of abortions? If the fetus is just a parasitinc clump of cells, why should we care about whether they are aborted or not? Because they are needed to pay for the Social Security shortfall?

Because no-one (sane) actually considers an Abortion a good thing. Many women find it a traumatic experience for one thing and many more regret it. And of course then there is the end of a potential life.

The problem is the alternative, banning Abortion, would lead to worse outcomes for everyone involved except perhaps the clothes hanger industry.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2008, 01:00:19 PM »

I doubt any humane person (regardless of "choice" position) supporters the conditions that lead up to an abortion, and all recognize the emotional impact of a future life being destroyed (even if they do not consider it to be immoral).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies